Does Paula Deen deserve to be persecuted for saying the "N-word"?

Asked by: Rhett_Butler
  • The situation varies but it still doesn't help the fact that she used racial slurs.

In any other situation I would vote no because I do think people have the right to free speech however I think different circumstances vary according to the situation. I think that people are capable of change if they really want to, for instance a person isn't always racist, a person may be this way only because of how they grew up, sometimes people change and that is a good thing. I think with this situation however, she should be persecuted because the channel also has to maintain a good image and that might not be the kind of image they want to produce effectively, they are a cooking channel, which means they need to appeal to everybody, this is just the business side of it, this is not my personal opinion, I'm just saying that the channel has a certain image to uphold, if they didn't persecute her, they would be basically this kind of behavior is OK and tolerated. They have to be fair and I think it was fair given the situation. Now on the personal side to this, I personally believe she should be persecuted based on the facts of the case, I think there was someone else Paula was involved with that was making racial slurs to someone else and how she planned to have a plantation wedding, I think if this is her opinion then that is her opinion but Paula also needs to recognize her that while she is on public television you still have a certain image to uphold to, there could of been other people of different cultures that also watched her show, and that would of been hurtful to them as well. Like it or not you are still in a customer service position when your on T.V. Yeah I know its JUST cooking but I also think that while its still in the people pleasing category, you should maintain a good status.

• If it's an EEOC complaint (which I believe it is)

From my understanding, the complaint is coming from an employee against her. (If I'm wrong, I will rescind my comment)

Here's my take: If she said the N-word in normal, every day life, I would not agree she should be criminally or civilly liable. I think using it directed at a specific individual should have some repercussions because of it's connotations. That's a separate story. As an person, I would not associate with her for her ignorant use of such a hateful word. By law, I think she should generally be protected by free speech.

If it was an EEOC complaint, then yes, civilly she is liable and violated the Civil Rights Act and created a hostile work environment and must be accountable.

As for advertisers and networks removing her, I say do it, that's part of Capitalism. If you piss off the people they don't want to "buy your brand" anymore. I wouldn't watch her (but to be fair, I never did anyway!)

• Inaccurate definition of "persecution"

Paula Deen chose to use a harmful racial slur. It was her decision to do it - probably a calculated decision to get attention and more press. She deserves the negative attention she is getting - she probably asked for it, honestly. Furthermore, as a society, whether she wants the negative attention or not, it is our job to stand up against the use of racial slurs and other derogatory language.

• Thumbs Down To Once Favorite Cook

I'm not ridiculing her for saying the "N" word but for the unnecessary racial remarks by having a slave styled wedding and trying to justify her brothers use of watching porn on a public restaurants computer and don't get me started on the chocolate eclair. She said much more than just the "N" word.

• I like Paula

Paula seems nice to me but she was soooooo wrong to use the n word. Also the slave wedding really made my opinion change. I think her true self came out. Shame on her and she got what she deserved...I think her sons are racist as well and should be ashamed.

• I never liked this broad anyways.

Really I don't care about her getting fired from the food network. That's definitely the right of her employer. Should she be "persecuted"? No. Paula Deen is southern white trash that miraculously hit the jackpot, so of course she's said the "N-word", who hasn't. She is what she is, but quite frankly I'd rather see people put their racial views up front than hide them in the closet like Barack Obama does.

• I hate the word, however... There is a double standard

She used the word in the privacy of her home while telling her husband about a man who held a gun to her head. I think, no matter what his color, he deserved that title. 2nd, why is it ok for blacks to use it at will, but not whites.

• Sensitivity Gone Too Far

Why are we targeting Paula Deen? There are potentially Millions of Americans, Myself Included who sometimes mutter the "N-Word". It's not like she meant to say it. Americans are known for the excessive sensitivity. Now if Deen were to say that on National TV in front of Millions of viewers, than this would be a whole different story. Just give the woman some privacy for goodness sake!

• Is the "N" word against the law?

She has worked so hard all of her life to be successful, and to be shamed and ridiculed for this? I think it is outrageous. If the "N" Word is against the law then it should be put into LAW for all people. I think the corporations should be ashamed to even think of dropping her from their programs. Everyone loves Paula Deen!

• Ye who cast the first stone

Members of Congress, IRS, GSA have all said and behaved worse, yet some even get promoted. So ye who are so unforgiving; ye who has not sinned cast the first stone. You can't find even one who is sinless. She admitted her error and publicly apologized as well as asking for forgiveness. She is a strong wise woman and should be forgiven.

• People should forget about this.

It happened long ago. And there is a big chance she did it to get attention. By saying she should get persecuted, you are saying she should get attention for doing it. What if that was her intention? People talking about her and drawing possible viewers to her show? Just think about it. If we give her what she wanted, how can we stop other people from also doing this to get five minutes of fame?

Posted by: Rafe
  • Mer mer mer

I think it is a sad thing in are culture when we will look at a person who seems like a generally nice person and notice them slip up and act like we are flawless, amazing human people who are so amazing that they have moral judgment to look at somebody and crucify them. In my school, there are tons of people who are heavy racists who make fun of many races. They are usually spoiled kids who are obsessed with Twitter and Facebook among other things. And you know what? They're most likely the people who are going on the web and yelling how terrible this person is and how rude they are. Everybody today thinks they are perfect people who hold the power to get mad at people because everything they do is great. They're perfect people in our society. They got mad at the death of Amanda Todd due to bullying and they "joined the revolution" to take down Kony, where's there Nobel Prize? This mentality in are generation needs to stop. Stop acting like a bunch of self righteous, hypocritical saints and let people be people.

• The utter hypocrisy of the situation

• He deserved it

The SOB was holding a gun to her head! Hello??? And it doesn't help that FBI statistics show that blacks commit 80% of the violent crimes in this country, year after year. Not to mention their 73% illegitimacy rate. And don't even get me started on their welfare dependency and their supposed "right" to taxpayer-subsidized public housing. Stellar citizens? I think not! Three words: GET A JOB, even if it means learning to say, "Do you want fries with that?"

• In her offense

Paula used the same word you can hear often, every day by the young black community. Is it fair for one person to use the word and it be overlooked and another to be condemned? The word is acceptable to the black community so why are we in an uproar? Is the fact that she is Paula Deen play a part over the media hype? When actors both black and white use the word who is there to condemn them? Jay-Z, Jennifer Lopez, Charlie Sheen who I dearly love just to name a few.

YYW says2013-06-21T21:10:53.307
Ask this question in the forums.
Rhett_Butler says2013-06-21T21:12:25.503
Yes sir, I'd love to.
JustCheNo says2013-06-24T14:59:47.630
How many thousands of years do we have to wait for black people to grow a thick skin and get over the n-word. You'd have to be mighty weak and pathetic person for one little word to destroy your world.