• Pray belongs in every school in America

It is sad that secularism today has robbed America's children of the chance of learning religious virtues like praying. The child that learns to pray learns the secret to the universe. It's no wonder that prayer has been greatly withstood. What a shame that children of today are growing up ignorant of the religious heritage that was a part of this nation's founding. And what a shame that their parents failed at the duty of teaching them that heritage. The country needs a revival that will call the youth from ungodliness to godliness.

Yes prayers belong in the schools because religion played a role in this nation's founding.

• Prayer in School

YES! Prayer should be in school at meal time and in the morning, in each and every class. If the parent does NOT wish their children to participate, then they can just sit quietly while the other classmates (which will be about 80% who DO wish to pray!) PRAY with their teacher or a parent who wishes to participate in the daily prayers....If the teacher also wishes not to pray. There are only a handful of parents that would disagree with prayers in school...The big problem is...They have bigger mouths! It is time for the rest of us who do believe in God/Jesus Christ/Holy Spirit to get mouthy about what we want!!

• Under the Constitutional provision of religious freedom, most certainly

Funny how the hypocritical atheist states no to this question only insofar as they imply prayer in the Christian sense. If this question was in regard to Muslim, Buddhist, Taoist, Confucianist, or any other major religion, they would raise no quarrel. I worship the Lord my God without shame at all. I call most atheists, not all, but most, hypocrites. They demand of the Christian an openmindedness that they are unwilling to practice themselves. They point accusing fingers at the believer for things they are more guilty of. I say it again, HYPOCRITES!!!! I don't care at all who reads this or whom takes offense, or who may curse me, speak your curses and further prove my point if you will. Elsewise, stop the senseless hatred and discrimination against us. I grow so very weary of your distortions, and often blatant lies that you use to spread your vitriolic messages of hate.

• Prayer, and our nations education system

We have always been a Christian nation, our nation like it or not was built on the values of our founding fathers. These men incorporated God into every fabric of our nation. It is only by the grace of God that our nation has prospered like it has. As our nation has drawn away from God in the last couple decades it has fallen into chaos. I believe that prayer should be allowed in schools. By teachers as well as students.

• No reason not to

I do not see a reason of why you cant pray in school. If you truly love God, you will not restrain your prayer. Got a test? Ask God to help you get through the stress and the hard questions. Bullied? Ask god for strength. Just because youre in a place where you need to improve your ego, doesn't mean you have to leave God out of your life.

• Yes yes yes it does!

God is Truth. If we take that principle out of schools, prayer out of schools, what measure do we have of truth then? Prayer is our way of communicating to and with God. School students need to at least have the encouragement of developing the time to pause and be thankful for their lives - teach them to be thankful to God.

• Of course it does

It is a violation of the first amendment to restrict students from praying. Like for example, it would be a constitutional atrocity to restrict something like a student or group of students praying at lunch. They're not infringing on anyone's rights, the school isn't endorsing the prayer, and the students are exercising their beliefs. If you have a problem with that there are some other countries you can go to. Also, let's say for the sake of argument, that a world religion class decides they want to start class with a prayer from as many different religions as they can get prayers from. They decide that for educational purposes and to increase the diversity of understanding. What's the problem in that? There is none, in fact, it is beneficial. So does prayer belong in schools? Absolutely yes.

• It would open children to spirituality in a materialistic world

Schools have a moral responsibility to ensure that their students are well rounded individuals, not just calculators and data-banks.

Prayer is probably the only thing that can ensure that kids are shown a healthy and moral alternative to the rampant consumerism and materialism in our society, and is a valuable tool to ensure that children learn the value of determination and will power.

• On certain conditions

Students should be able to pray at school and display their religious faith, provided they follow basic codes of conduct (and in my ideal world, dress codes). There are two secular approaches to this matter: ban all religious expression, or allow all religious expression. I opt for the latter. Put up a Nativity scene at the school, and allow a menorah too. And if atheist students don't like it, they can set up their own display, as long as it is a positive one. A challenge, perhaps, but I'm sure atheists can figure out a way to define themselves in terms of what they are for as opposed to what they are against.

But this should all be student-initiated. I agree with the folks on the other side who want to keep the administration and the teachers out of it. They should remain neutral, and simply ensure that everyone who wants to display their faith has the opportunity to do so. Instead of everyone being terrified of offending each other, maybe we'll learn something about one another.

Finally, "separation of church and state" is something that I support prudentially, but it is NOT mandated by the Constitution in the way that the "no" side likes to think. The 1st amendment only prevents the federal government from establishing a religion. The individual states had established churches into the 1830s, Christianity was regularly invoked in official public settings, and no one objected to this. Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists was never intended to become law for the United States, and I think Jefferson himself would have been horrified to learn how his letter had been used. He didn't want a FEDERAL religion but he respected the 10th amendment as the cornerstone of the Constitution. That would allow the states to do as they please in this area.

• With certain restrictions, yes.

America was founded on faith, and a big aspect of faith is praying. Children in schools should be allowed to pray, though they should not be required. There is a difference. Students should have the right to be able to pray within the school, as long as it is done reasonably and they aren't pressuring other students to do it as well.

• Absolutely, emphatically not.

Mandated prayer or faculty/staff led prayer in public schools is a violation of the Establishment Clause of the Constitution, which states that the government cannot establish or endorse a religion.
    Students have the ability to pray quietly and non-disruptively in their free times as long as they do not bother other students and no employee of the school is involved. No one is attempting to say they can't. But any sort of school endorsement of prayer is unconstitutional and illegal.

• No just... No

Its another form of indoctrination. Im not saying it should be banned just let children leave if they don't want to pray. Don't make children pray if they dont want to, its unfair to them and you're forcing religion on them which is very common but wrong. But alas schools will keep on indoctrinating kids to serving the church.

• No, definitely not.

I answered a question similar to this one a few minutes ago. It was about whether if indoctrination is child abuse or not.
    Yes, indoctrination is child abuse. I will not go into the details (if you have questions, just comment), but anything that violates a child's innocence IS child abuse. In the case of indoctrination, we use the child's innocence and lack of resources to our own advantage in order to make them believe something as irrational as religion.
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying religion is bad. I'm just saying it's too subjective to be something forced upon children. It's as if I'd tell my child that the color red is bad and that the color blue is the rightful color. Not everyone likes blue, a preference, just like a belief, cannot be forced upon someone.
    So prayer definitely doesn't belong in school. Schools are supposed to TEACH kids. Teaching and indoctrinating is NOT the same thing. Teaching is showing the fact, purely as they are and in an objective manner. Indoctrinating is showing SOME facts, hiding other facts and doing so in a subjective manner.
    I know what you might tell me. "We're not forcing it upon them! It's just prayer!" That is false. Children, especially the youngest, are sponges. They copy everything they see or hear and the believe mostly anything we tell them. So if they see other kids, Christian kids, praying, they'll want to do it even though they have no idea what it really means.

So no, prayer doesn't belong in school because :
    1. Schools are for teaching, not indoctrinating.
    2. Indoctrination is child abuse.

• Separation of church and state?

Is that still a thing? No one actually seems to pay attention to it anymore. Keep in mind that separation of church and state is endorsed not only in the Constitution (1st Amendment) but in the Bible (John 18:36). Prayer in schools would also be incredibly unfair to non-Christian children.

• No mandatory prayers, but if the students wish to on their own accord.

I understand prayer in schools that are religious private schools, but in public schools, it is a secular environment. I don't mind the idea of students practicing prayer if they so wish during class, but if the entire class has to abide the prayers of one religion, it is going to be bound to cause issues.

Students are allowed to pray in public schools if they so wish during school time if they so wish.

• Not everybody has the same beliefs.

It should not belong in public schools. With so many students of many backgrounds, not everybody will hold the same beliefs, and having children all pray in schools, would leave some children to feel uncomfortable. Schools need to respect the beliefs of every child and keep them in an environment where they feel comfortable. If a child wishes to pray, he or she can do it on their own time. They don't need everyone to pray with them.

• Prayer is not for everyone.

Heck no! If the whole world was the same religion yes! But, in till that happens lets not be meaner than we are. Ex. In the pledge we say "one nation under god" who is w=god? What's that supposed to mean. How do you think the people in America trying to, receive good edu. Feel when they have to say that every morning. Or well when they do, because it's not a choice you most take pride in your country, and praise those who fought for your country.

• Only in religious schools

Many people have different beliefs and we should respect that and make/keep schools secular to be fair to everyone, even the slight majority. We should learn to be accepting for once instead of just bullying others into submission. It is just not morally right. It is extremely rude to make someone feel uncomfortable about anything else but when it comes to religion we should just shut our mouths?

• I'm assuming this means school-sponsored prayer...

School-sponsored prayer/ indoctrination is rightly prohibited under the establishment clause in public schools. Schools are places to educate children and ready them for the real world with valuable tools such as thinking independently. Encouraging a specific religious belief contradicts this.

Additionally, public schools are funded in part by tax payers' money. Because the US is considered a secular nation, we can't legally allow school-sponsored prayer within public schools where a portion of this tax money is being spent.

I think its worth mentioning though that this question was poorly thought out. From the question, you can't tell if its asking if allowing students to pray in schools is alright or if its asking if schools should set aside time for prayer. Those are two really different interpretations with very different answers...

• How about no

Not only is a school by definition a place of education, not a place of prayer, If you are that worried about your child being sent up to Sky Daddies' Fortress than by all means send them to church or pray at home, don't wast their precious and valuable time with nonsense praying. Leave the fairy tails to Dr. Suess