Does reading fiction novels make you smarter?

Asked by: 2Niquers2
  • Reading books helps you become smarter.

When you read you expand your vocabulary. That is one was that you can get smarter by reading. Another way reading helps you is, it learn different ways to write. For example, when you read fiction you see how to write in a descriptive and narrative way. Finally, you can read books filled with facts and knowledge. Reading helps you become smarter.

• You learn new vocabulary

When you read you usually learn new vocabulary. It is important to know a lot of words to increase your word choice. You also learn how to spell better because you repetitively see how words are spelled. Last, it is an exercise for the brain. Those are just a few reasons reading fiction makes you smarter.

• It really depends on the person...

If the person really wants to put time and effort just to read books just to get smarter. That takes determination. Reading all kinds of books will definitely help you become more intelligent. Reading is like candy for the brain, the more you read the more knowledge you get in return.

• I am not sure

I read a lot and i get A's but i honestly think it doesnt but i wish it would so yeah i heard that for reading to effect your brain in a postitve you have to read not just fiction but a varity like histroy science and littere also so read from a variety to improve your skills

• I am not sure

• No,reading does not make a person smarter because...

Reading doesn't make a person smarter because I have a friend who is a total moron but he read War and peace ,The Russian revolution and he also read the The World Book Encyclopedia . That is why I say that reading does not make a person smarter
    Thank You

• Yes, all books make you smarter.

All books make you smarter and more intelligent. For example, I love Pretty Little Liars. Yes, it is a mystery book, but there are some BIG words in them. If or when I don't know what they mean, I use context clues. If you have never read this series, I seriously recommend it to ages 12-19 or older. Hope this helped you!!

• Reading fiction books makes us more intelligent

Today we read about a timing machine which can help us go to the future. Tomorrow, we will produce a machine like that because we got an idea today. Fiction book make us more creative. And we can enhance the emotional intelligence too , that the main reason why i love book

• Books do make you smarter

Reading books definitely makes you smarter. Books allow you to be able to have great grammar and spelling skills. You will also be able to memorize more by reading. Writing skills will improve A LOT by using author examples of how they write in your writings. Academically, everything will improve because without reading, our entire economy would be completely different.

• Reading improves lots of things.

I am a giant advocate of reading and I read everything from contemporary teen fiction to Shakespeare and Homer. All of it has value in some shape or form and reading, deciphering words and turning them into images exercises parts of The Brain in itself. Thinking further about the components of the story and the characters is an added bonus that can also help in real life interactions as well. A lot of people do claim that fiction doesn't help intelligence, since it is just a bunch of make believe. This is not true. Fiction expands our brains, triggers our imaginations, and even allows us to apply themes in the novel to real life. We can take so much from reading and it certainly must not be denounced as a form of illusion (like Plato once said) or as a fantasy with no value to life. All fantasy has value to life, simply because the major portion of life's enjoyment lies within fantasy, within imagination.

• Just because reading requires brain activity...

It does not mean it will improve it. People do all sorts of things and like to proclaim their activity to be the one that is sophisticated and the one that makes you smart. Same goes for people who read fiction.
    But in my opinion smarts come from learning. And there is nothing to learn from bad fiction. So even though a valuable and a well written book might make you a smarter person by making you think, a piece of crap might make you dumber just as well, if it has enough influence.
    So no, not necessarily.

• Depends heavily on what you read.

If your fiction reading list includes only garbage like "Twilight" or "Fifty Shades of Grey", one could argue that exposing your brain to such hackneyed schlock can actually reduce your intelligence.

"Garbage in, garbage out", folks. While the act of reading itself is useful cognitively, it will not increase your intelligence level if the content is subpar.

• I am not sure

Thank You

• There's a severe disconnect between the two.

Sure, reading examples of a language might increase one's lexicon, but I'm of the opinion that intelligent people merely enjoy reading because it fulfills a need to intake information, especially of fictional realms. That is, smart people tend to read, but reading will not make one smart. Even in books with "big words," the actual reading doesn't prove to be evocative.

If you think reading fiction will make one more intelligent, that is a sorry mistake. I know several book worms that aren't competent at much else other than reading fiction and discussing relationships between characters which largely is speculation and gathering from context.

I shouldn't be using personal examples to answer this question, but then again, the prompt *does* say "State Your Opinion"

• Reading Keeps Mind Sharp

I do not believe reading fiction novels will make you smarter. I do, however, believe that reading can keep a mind sharp and aware. I believe people who read often are more mentally agile than those that chose not to. Reading is essential in our society, but reading won't make you a genius.