• If You Believe In An Afterlife You're More Likely To Want to Go There

At least if it's a nice afterlife you're dreaming of. If you don't believe in an afterlife then you're more likely to think "life sure sucks, but what else can I do, after I die there's nothing, so I'm going to have to just stick to it and keep working for this life to be good." But if you're religious it's easy to reason "God will forgive me, time to go join him."

• I've attempted suicide because of religion

My parents' religion is very strict, with many rules about what to do and what not to do. I will not state the specific religion, as I do not hate it itself, I just hate what happened to me.
    I basically have attempted suicide (and am still suicidal) because I was caught in a web where my parents' religion seemed too strict, but without it, people did not seem to have enough values.

• Yes, religion religion cause pain and suffering

Since religion defers from ideas of guilt, shame, fear, and unworthiness, you will often hear phrases like, "we're all sinners who've fallen short of the kingdom of God." But that's supposed to be a comfort, right? Nada. What happens when you sin "too much" or commit "too big" of a sin? Believe it or not, Christians try to make it seem like all sins are forgivable by God, but in their minds there are some really bad, ugly sins that are just not "Christian-like." If you commit any of those sins, (homosexuality for example) you are seen as an outcast to the church. In this way, they use fear and humiliation as a means to control. Christians practice a method of intolerance, fighting any change that comes their way. Therefore, if any Christian attempts to escape this black hole of darkness that keeps so many prisoner, guilt, shame, condemnation, and exclusion will follow them for the rest of their days, a very good cause for suicide. I would know. I come from personal experience.

• Religion has a lot of "rules"

And these "rules" may make some people feel like they don't "fit in" or "belong". This leads to depression and depression can eventually lead to suicide. For example, a gay young man may have a mother who is Christian, therefore she does not believe in homosexuality. She may not accept her son's sexual orientation, and he may fall into depression. His depression can get so bad that he eventually commits suicide, as not even his own mother can accept him. It's simple critical-thinking.

• Yes, but not because of an Afterlife

Having been raised in a very religious home, I've known the desire to want to end it all. In many Christian and Catholic religions, suffering and guilt play a big role. If you do not suffer, you are not worthy, and if you don't 'repent' or 'confess' every day, you are hell-bound, thus no one is perfect and therefor you are far from it.

If you are a child in a religious home, you are punished for having questions; your only option is to believe and believe passionately. Growing up this way, and facing society with a built-in ignorance to what the world is really and truly like often makes a religious child an outcast; that child will feel alone, and will remain that way for many years. Many who suffer from this ultimately end up with severe depression, and will either contemplate or act on thoughts of suicide.

• Belief increases chances of emotional rejection and/or physical abuse.

Child Abuse: It is not the dictionary definition of religion which causes suicide (unless you are one of the many which believes in the 'spare the rod, spoil the child' misquote). In fact, the words of any acceptable religion are against suicide. All directly suicidal religion have died due to suicide. Everyone knows about Jim Jones and not so many know about the Harmonists which didNot believe in suicide, but instead they refused children due to redemption (they all died of old age equals dead religion). Blind faith is a side effect of afterlife accepting religions (that would be all of them). Child abuse is a side effect of such blindness. Suicide is a side effect of child abuse.

Religion --> Blindness --> Child Abuse --> Suicide

Emotional Rejection: No two people believe identically. The expression of a belief distinction causes rejection among any group foundationed upon a specific religious belief. Although religious leaders directly attempt to avoid this possibility, they create it via unexplainable non-moral right/wrong declarations. Therefore, it happens without justification.

Disbelief --> Rejection --> Suicide

• I notice one of the 'supporting headline' titles on the no side reads 'Technically, yes."

I dare say that's a yes then. If the question was 'Does religion cause suicide and also NEVER prevent it?', then maybe you placing yourself in the NO camp would make sense. But you didn't say 'no'. You're said sometimes. A serial killer is still a serial killer even when he saves a man from drowning.

• The Afterlife Offers an Incentive to Those Considering Suicide!

It may not be the initial reason people have for wanting to kill themselves, but once the thought of suicide enters their mind, an eternity in paradise or a fresh start at life makes the idea a lot more enticing. It might even seem too good to pass up, after all, things can't be going too well if you're planning on ending your life.

• Religion makes me suicidal

My religion makes me suicidal. It makes feel trapped and held down. It’s beliefs about the afterlife keep me following it despite my unhappiness. I can’t even leave because that is considered wrong to. There’s no way out for me and no way to be free and it hurts so yes I feel religion causes suicide.

Posted by: Reli
  • Suicidal because of religion

My religion is causing me to feel suicidal. I feel held down and trapped by it. It’s making me feel like death is the only way out so yes I think religion causes suicide. I also think the beliefs about what happens after death hold people to it. The fact that it’s a sin to leave makes me feel worse.

• It truly depends on the religion.

Depending on the religious beliefs, suicide aftermath will fluctuate. Christianity blatantly points out that suicide leads to eternity in Hell because of the selfishness that comes with it. Life was given by God and when someone takes it upon themselves to end life short in order to leave behind all the pain in suffering in hopes of a better afterlife, their gravely mistaken. The journey which is life is to somewhat of a test and our redemption is the mansion in heaven waiting for each one us. Life is precious, give it to the one person who will care for it truthfully...Give it to Jesus.

• Technically, yes.

I'm sure there's been a religion somewhere in the world at some time that resulted in someone committing suicide, but I think religion doesn't in general. Anecdotal evidence time: I probably would have committed suicide a few years ago if it wasn't for religion. So yeah, I'm slightly biased here. Just slightly.

• That's the contrary.

As killing someone or oneself is forbidden, and Judas was saved after his own suicide (due to remorse, and lack of trust in J'esus promise of resurrection), many who would be tempted to commit suicide, are prevented to do so as a result of it.
    By the way, thanks to the creator of this interesting website.

Posted by: Ora
  • No

If somebody has a religion with beliefs that they support, than what would be their reason to commit suicide? They would only then commit suicide if they were forced into the religion, meaning that their parents or family members or community was a certain religion and wanted them to fit in or convert.

• It is a sin to Commit suicide and will not go to heaven. NO

I am a peaceful enough person i dont go out pushing anyone to believe in Jesus Christ it is my own belief and i do not go out and bother anyone.
    We as humans gang up on small groups so violently. When given a reason to do so. Why dont we practice love anymore.
    I see so much hate in people hearts. And if anything scares me,
    it is that i comment on YouTube and sometimes am attacked called a moron sworn at abused. For the smallest thing i might say.
    Our beliefs should be sacred to each of us.
    Not something to attack.
    There has been shock suicides in the past by groups of religious people i can not remember what religion they was following but it was not Christianity, and if it was they should know to commit suicide is a sin. A big no no.
    These groups of people that commit shock suicides was always lead by a very charismatic alpha male who everyone listened to, someone who was doing it for his own crazy desires. Non of which was religious.
    There has been investigations into this by some collage groups and it has been found that more atheists commit suicide than religious people.
    Did you know google and other groups want to bring a new religion. They want to create an AI god.
    And they dont care if it destroys you.
    So who is more dangerous. A peaceful christian who spreads love.
    Or someone who would wilfully destroy the planet with nukes and bombs and create a killer AI god you all must worship or be put to death.
    I would seriously question why is this poll being done. Would you accept the all religious people to be put to death. ? Because it is coming. Do you want to have a hand in that.?

What was the situation behind the suicides of all these YES votes we are not told. Life is hard money is the largest killer.
    People and abuse is a killer also. But religion NO rarely maybe

• No religion does not cause suicide. Life can cause it.

I would really like to hear what religion these people are talking about and the situation behind the suicides they are thinking about.
    There has been shock suicides in the past where you hear about a group of religious people who all committed suicide. But when you look into those events. You find that they was all pushed into it by a very disturb leader. Every time.
    And there are studies out there that prove atheists commit suicide much more than religious people.
    It is money that kills people not religion.

• Religion is hope

Religion prevents suicide, because
    1) believers believe suicide gets them into more trouble than they already have (hellfire you know)
    2) believers never feel left alone, God is always there for them, one sayings says "if you lost hope, you don't trust god", means the basic of belief is to believe everything gets alright and life is just a test
    3)believers are less lonely since due to common worships they are in a community and got also stronger bounds to their families. By that they are more likely to get discovered or supported.
    .. And hey, actually it got scientifically proved, that religion even protects you of suicide too
    .. All what this survey shows is that religion is really disliked among common people, like the question itself is a prejudice and on common ground, people are not willing to give religion any positive aspect

• Depression causes suicide

Religion has never really been linked to suicide. The only instance you could use to support this is certain cult groups, but those seem to be more fanatics than anything else. For the most part religion gives people something to ground themselves and does not cause suicide. However, if you feel suicidal for any reason you should get help.

• No it doesn't

Statistics have shown that people who are religious are less likely to commit suicide and people with no affiliated religion are more likely to deal with unbearable depression and eventually take their own lives. I have had atheist friends who have taken their lives in the past. I had a Christian friend who almost took her life but said that her faith in God stopped her.