• If You Believe In An Afterlife You're More Likely To Want to Go There

At least if it's a nice afterlife you're dreaming of. If you don't believe in an afterlife then you're more likely to think "life sure sucks, but what else can I do, after I die there's nothing, so I'm going to have to just stick to it and keep working for this life to be good." But if you're religious it's easy to reason "God will forgive me, time to go join him."

• I've attempted suicide because of religion

My parents' religion is very strict, with many rules about what to do and what not to do. I will not state the specific religion, as I do not hate it itself, I just hate what happened to me.
    I basically have attempted suicide (and am still suicidal) because I was caught in a web where my parents' religion seemed too strict, but without it, people did not seem to have enough values.

• Yes, religion religion cause pain and suffering

Since religion defers from ideas of guilt, shame, fear, and unworthiness, you will often hear phrases like, "we're all sinners who've fallen short of the kingdom of God." But that's supposed to be a comfort, right? Nada. What happens when you sin "too much" or commit "too big" of a sin? Believe it or not, Christians try to make it seem like all sins are forgivable by God, but in their minds there are some really bad, ugly sins that are just not "Christian-like." If you commit any of those sins, (homosexuality for example) you are seen as an outcast to the church. In this way, they use fear and humiliation as a means to control. Christians practice a method of intolerance, fighting any change that comes their way. Therefore, if any Christian attempts to escape this black hole of darkness that keeps so many prisoner, guilt, shame, condemnation, and exclusion will follow them for the rest of their days, a very good cause for suicide. I would know. I come from personal experience.

• Religion has a lot of "rules"

And these "rules" may make some people feel like they don't "fit in" or "belong". This leads to depression and depression can eventually lead to suicide. For example, a gay young man may have a mother who is Christian, therefore she does not believe in homosexuality. She may not accept her son's sexual orientation, and he may fall into depression. His depression can get so bad that he eventually commits suicide, as not even his own mother can accept him. It's simple critical-thinking.

• Yes, but not because of an Afterlife

Having been raised in a very religious home, I've known the desire to want to end it all. In many Christian and Catholic religions, suffering and guilt play a big role. If you do not suffer, you are not worthy, and if you don't 'repent' or 'confess' every day, you are hell-bound, thus no one is perfect and therefor you are far from it.

If you are a child in a religious home, you are punished for having questions; your only option is to believe and believe passionately. Growing up this way, and facing society with a built-in ignorance to what the world is really and truly like often makes a religious child an outcast; that child will feel alone, and will remain that way for many years. Many who suffer from this ultimately end up with severe depression, and will either contemplate or act on thoughts of suicide.

• Belief increases chances of emotional rejection and/or physical abuse.

Child Abuse: It is not the dictionary definition of religion which causes suicide (unless you are one of the many which believes in the 'spare the rod, spoil the child' misquote). In fact, the words of any acceptable religion are against suicide. All directly suicidal religion have died due to suicide. Everyone knows about Jim Jones and not so many know about the Harmonists which didNot believe in suicide, but instead they refused children due to redemption (they all died of old age equals dead religion). Blind faith is a side effect of afterlife accepting religions (that would be all of them). Child abuse is a side effect of such blindness. Suicide is a side effect of child abuse.

Religion --> Blindness --> Child Abuse --> Suicide

Emotional Rejection: No two people believe identically. The expression of a belief distinction causes rejection among any group foundationed upon a specific religious belief. Although religious leaders directly attempt to avoid this possibility, they create it via unexplainable non-moral right/wrong declarations. Therefore, it happens without justification.

Disbelief --> Rejection --> Suicide

• I notice one of the 'supporting headline' titles on the no side reads 'Technically, yes."

I dare say that's a yes then. If the question was 'Does religion cause suicide and also NEVER prevent it?', then maybe you placing yourself in the NO camp would make sense. But you didn't say 'no'. You're said sometimes. A serial killer is still a serial killer even when he saves a man from drowning.

• The Afterlife Offers an Incentive to Those Considering Suicide!

It may not be the initial reason people have for wanting to kill themselves, but once the thought of suicide enters their mind, an eternity in paradise or a fresh start at life makes the idea a lot more enticing. It might even seem too good to pass up, after all, things can't be going too well if you're planning on ending your life.

• Religious belief often leads to suicide based on either feelings of unworthiness or sacrifice for the greater good.

Those who feel unclean or as though they have sinned often times take their own lives, either due to the shame or their perceived inability to prevent future wrongdoing. Suicide among religious homosexuals is a common example. Also, concepts such as martyrdom and religious war currently lead to innumerable suicide bombings and attacks.

• Yes I think so

Well to put it bluntly the fear of hell is always in the background even as an apostate to Christianity. It undermines the essence of what it is to be human to an unhealthy level pilling on guilt and shame by the bucket load. A good analogy would be to scold a cat because it hunts when it is natural for it to do so. Religion has compartmentalised many natural urges as sin and therefore wrong which ultimately undermines gods creation and evident survival instinct within us so either way its a total set up.

• It truly depends on the religion.

Depending on the religious beliefs, suicide aftermath will fluctuate. Christianity blatantly points out that suicide leads to eternity in Hell because of the selfishness that comes with it. Life was given by God and when someone takes it upon themselves to end life short in order to leave behind all the pain in suffering in hopes of a better afterlife, their gravely mistaken. The journey which is life is to somewhat of a test and our redemption is the mansion in heaven waiting for each one us. Life is precious, give it to the one person who will care for it truthfully...Give it to Jesus.

• Technically, yes.

I'm sure there's been a religion somewhere in the world at some time that resulted in someone committing suicide, but I think religion doesn't in general. Anecdotal evidence time: I probably would have committed suicide a few years ago if it wasn't for religion. So yeah, I'm slightly biased here. Just slightly.

• That's the contrary.

As killing someone or oneself is forbidden, and Judas was saved after his own suicide (due to remorse, and lack of trust in J'esus promise of resurrection), many who would be tempted to commit suicide, are prevented to do so as a result of it.
    By the way, thanks to the creator of this interesting website.

Posted by: Ora
  • No

If somebody has a religion with beliefs that they support, than what would be their reason to commit suicide? They would only then commit suicide if they were forced into the religion, meaning that their parents or family members or community was a certain religion and wanted them to fit in or convert.

• Depression causes suicide

Religion has never really been linked to suicide. The only instance you could use to support this is certain cult groups, but those seem to be more fanatics than anything else. For the most part religion gives people something to ground themselves and does not cause suicide. However, if you feel suicidal for any reason you should get help.

• No it doesn't

Statistics have shown that people who are religious are less likely to commit suicide and people with no affiliated religion are more likely to deal with unbearable depression and eventually take their own lives. I have had atheist friends who have taken their lives in the past. I had a Christian friend who almost took her life but said that her faith in God stopped her.