• That's its biggest problem.

Religion is an idea (obviously not one) and should not be held higher than any other idea. Criticising these leads to progress.
    People deserve respect, but ideas don't. I will show respect to a Christian, but will not respect his belief that the creator of the universe impregnated a 14 year old Palestinian girl so he could father himself, so he could sacrifice himself to himself to save humanity from himself, as he needs to punish someone for our failure to meet the standard he purposefully built too high for us to reach.
    That's just stupid.

• Religion Has Way Too Much Influence And Respect, as Religion Is Just a Superstition After All:

Nobody should give any superstition the respect that religion has come to enjoy. You don't see Astrologers inciting riots because somebody depicted Pisces as a clown. Nor would you have any disputes from Numerologists if you banned mentioning numerology in science classes. Religion has managed to con entire societies into believing they have power over people's destinies, just as Astrologers claim, but you don't see an Astrology conference being televised and political leaders bowing to concerns at such meetings or the world's Leading Astrologer being invited in a bullet proof limousine to meet world leaders.
    The respect for religion is way over the top and entirely Irrational!

• Not only religion has too much respect, it often demands it.

I'm an atheist. What would you like me to do? To pretend that I respect the silly ideas religious people have about life, universe and everything?

The sad thing is that in many cases the people of religion expect just that. In some cases they even demand it, and, you know, there are countries in which, even today, you could be put in jail or worse just for showing disrespect for their state religion / official mass delusion.

Respect could be defined by "a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements". Obviously, I do not care for that.

However, for practical reasons, I do show a good measure of "due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others" who are religious (and close friends or family).

• Not only does it have too much respect, it demands it.

And does it so showing no respect to other people beliefs. In some countries it is punishable by law to disrespect religion, or even for just being openly atheist.

I'm an atheist. What would religious people like me to do? To pretend that I respect their silly ideas? What would that solve?

Respect is defined as:

1. A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

2. Due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others.

I obviously cannot show respect to religious people regarding the first, but I do regarding the second definition of the word.

• Religion is put down far too much.

As an atheist, I respect religion. I know that there is no God looking out for us, there is no heaven, nor is there any hell. We go no where but to the ground when we die.

It is a nice thought though. I wish I could believe that there was some where I could go when I die. I wish some one, besides me, is looking out for me. It would be so much more pleasing if religion, of any belief, was real.

Spinosauruskin, you might as well be a christian with that sort of thinking. Having no respect for the idea, is having no respect for the person. The idea is part of that person, so the disrespect their religion, you are disrespecting them. It wrong to tell some one that their idea is stupid, it is wrong to tell them that their ideas are wrong. I respect people's ideas, and I try to learn about them. There are good things about religion, just as there are bad things. That goes for atheism too.

Honestly, spinosauruskin, your answer to your own question has got to be the most disrespectful thing I have seen on this website. I respect people, and their Ideas. I don't have any respect for you.