Does same-sex marriage threaten the institution of marriage in the U.S.?

• Same-sex marriage threatens the institution of marriage in the U.S. because it will demoralize and devalue traditional marriage.

It will open the door for increasingly deviant behavior. It would be just fine for states to declare a civil union for those that wish to get married. A civil union that has all the same rights as a traditional marriage, except for raising children. Marriage is a Christian tradition and they are stepping on toes. They can make up their own term and give it rights.

• A life choice should not be a civil right; Same sex marriage threatens the institution of marriage in the U.S.

There is no question that once same sex marriage becomes law, there will be those who will not rest until all religions are forced to quit preaching against homosexuality, and permit marriage of same sex couples in their places of worship.
    I can accept homosexual couples having equal civil rights outside of religion. I would accept a couple if they chose to come to my church. But who can be married in my church should be the choice of those in my church.
    I also feel that same sex marriage is another step down the slippery slope that is plunging this nation into a very dark time when abortion crosses into genocide of the weak, and families are destroyed by a lack of security and morality.

• Same-sex marriage is not marriage.

Marriage comes from God, and has been since the beginning between a man and a woman. Marriage is a union that can result in procreation in our own image. But more than this, marriage is a complementary, self-sacrificing lifestyle that puts the interests of each other and children first. It is truly a legacy of the Creation of this world. And it is under attack, just like Creation itself.

In contrast, the gay lifestyle is about selfishness and self-gratification. It cannot naturally result in children - homosexuals cannot create in their own image. God, the author of marriage, has specifically forbidden homosexuality as a perversion. Gay marriage is not marriage at all - it is too deviant people selfishly living in rebellion against God, gratifying perverse lusts.

The family model with a husband and a wife and children is uniquely created to properly raise the next generation of human beings, teaching them about the strengths of both genders and creating a model of protection, compatibility, survival, ministry, love, work and education.

Humans are mortal. What if everyone in society was gay? What would happen to the population curve? It would crash.

But more to the point - what if everyone in society was gay - who would properly raise children (if enough could be created in the first place)? No one. Because homosexuality by definition is a lifestyle of selfishness, not self-sacrifice. It is a lifestyle of putting your own perverse desires above the interests of other people. It is a lifestyle of guilt - because the consciences of every gay person tells them it is wrong, and they spend their whole lives refusing to listen to that still small voice. It is a lifestyle that loves fashion and materialism far more than simplicity and the truly valuable things of this life. Ask a gay man if he's happy after a few drinks. He'll tell you he is the most miserable creature on the face of the whole earth. He has no peace because he is living in direct opposition to what he knows (or at least once knew) was right.

• Duh. That's the goal. What better way to ruin the institution of marriage than to separate it from procreation and monogamy.

Anyone paying attention or who has read anything by gay activists for the past 40 years can see right through the veneer of supposed 'marriage equality.' This is has nothing to do with marriage equality and all to do with legitimizing deviant sexual behavior. It's called legislating morality, or in this case immorality. They can't get approval in any other way, or they don't want to because it's too difficult. They believe their behavior is morally good, which it is not, and they want everyone to agree and celebrate. When you make something legal, you make it morally 'right.' Anyone who disagrees will be silenced, punished, sued, lose their livelihood, etc etc. Mozilla anyone?? Freedom of speech and religious freedoms....Nice knowing ya!

• Yes, it will!

One only has to look at the condition of marriage in countries like Canada and Brazil to know that same-sex marriage is detrimental. The legality of polygamy is currently disputed in Brazil right now because of the legalization of same-sex marriage. The government should not be in the business of redefining words.

• Yes it does!

The legalization of same sex marriage will cause those that oppose it to be less able to argue against it. Arguing against same sex marriage will be considered "Discrimination." In addition if it is legalized it will be added to the curriculum in schools and parents will not have any say. Same sex marriage is a moral issue not a legal one

• Love Is Love

Doesn't matter who you are, what color you are, what you believe in or anything. Love is love. You can tell when it's true. People need to be more considerate of others and just leave them alone, because it doesn't affect anyone else in any way, but people are just so horrible about picking on people about sexuality.

• I think it's adorable

Let them marry who they want to! We should stop being so caught up on who is marrying who and work on the homeless people. If we put as much effort in homelessness and hunger as we do against gay marriage, could you imagine what America could accomplish? Great things.

• Same sex marriage undermines traditional marriage.

Marriage is the sacred, intimate union of a MAN and a WOMAN. To remove the unique and complementary sexual component of marriage, devalues and undermines exactly what marriage is! It's not about two people, but about a man and a woman joining together, as only a man and a woman can! To redefine marriage, is a perversion of marriage.

• Same-sex marriage only threatens heterosexist domination of marriage.

Same-sex marriage does not stop anybody from pursuing so-called “traditional marriage.” Claims that it threatens traditional marriage are not backed up with how same-sex marriage harms a particular couple’s “traditional marriage,” but instead is backed up with an argument that amounts to saying that “traditional marriage” is the only way people should have a marriage.

In essence, their argument is not about how same-sex marriage threatens *their* marriage, but rather threatens their control over how *other* people have their marriage.

• Demoralizing The Constitution Of Marriage

I do not support the Gay Rights Movement . Why get married ?
    Marriage is for a MAN AND WOMAN not for the same gender.
    Therefore their is no need for a certificate of marriage . So why
    bother at all. All I'm saying is one word is GOD !!!!!!!

• My (straight) marriage is as strong as ever

And both my spouse and I are delighted our gay friends can marry who they love just the way we did.

When more people are able to love freely, that doesn't take love away from my marriage, it adds love to the world, and that is a very good thing!

• American People are just taking out right away to love.

We should have the right to love who we want to. It is not right that we have to live in the shadows wondering what will come of this freedom. America should not revolve around just religion. "Land of the free" is not what I have been seeing, now that I think of it, there is no land of the free until America can stop being against it and just let who ever wants to marry, can marry who ever they want. It should not be a problem for people loving who ever they want, to not be able to get married just because everyone else is against it! It is not right.

• The laws for heterosexual marriage simply won't change

Check the laws for states who have made it legal.
    Also gay people aren't threatening the institution of marriage, Those high divorce rates are.
    "50% of all marriages in America end in divorce"
    50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second and 74% of third marriages end in divorce, according to Jennifer Baker of the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology in Springfield, Missouri.

• Answers of yes are incomplete.

None of the comments under the yes vote answered the question. In school, I was taught that I must support my answer and show my work. None of yes answers did that. You have no compelling reason to say same sex marriages are a threat to traditional marriage. Many support it with Biblical reference. But, none showed how that Biblical reference threatens traditional marriage. Some speculated that same sex marriage is like a gateway drug to more deviant behavior. But that's speculation pure and simple. Some speculate that same sex marriage undermines the value of traditional marriage. How? Traditional marriage will still exist the way it always has. So, how can that devalue or undermine? Some say marriage is a gift from God. I agree but there are many marriages in this world that ARE NOT based on Christian God. What about common law marriage? What about people who aren't Christian and are married and live in the United States participating in the institution of marriage. Are they a threat to traditional marriage. Being Christian and living a Christian life does not own the only definition of traditional marriage. Using Christian beliefs as a means to define traditional marriage is totally incomplete and I refer you back to my comment about common law marriage and traditional marriages by non-Christians. I've heard no argument in any form that tells me the institution is threatened by same sex marriages. My marriage of almost 40 years will go on whether my next door neighbors are same sex partners or not or if some traditional CHRISTIAN marriage decides to break up because of irreconcilable differences. Just stop it. Same sex marriage does not pose a threat to anyone except those who chose to spend their time criticizing and looking down their nose. You as a partner in a traditional marriage will still have the same standing in society as you've always had regardless of marriage law. So, where's the threat? By the way, I hope my post has in some way supported my answer of no in a way that is based on logic as opposed to conjecture and speculation. Oh yes...Just thought of something else. An answer of yes regardless how you support your answer is like saying "same sex marriage is a threat to traditional marriage just because it is".

• The religious right seem obsessed with sexuality, control. Exclusivist and intolerant of other's beliefs.

NO to a theocracy based on visceral and violent reaction to free expression of one's unique personhood. NO to slavish obedience to a delusional belief system perpetuating hatred while professing love and compassion. Islamic polygamous marriages presumably threaten the Christian U.S version of God ordained marriage. Arranged marriages presumably also threaten the American tradition of free will & choice in selection of mates. Is it the hidden fear of latent homosexuality? Or the hidden fear of personal freedom vs tribal obedience? I propose intellectual marriages- purely platonic, between consenting mature thinkers.

• The American Dream

Same-sex marriage does not threaten the insitution of marriage in the U.S. Because it is considered discrimination to oppose homosexuals. The American Dream is suffering because of this belief, immigriants dream of coming to the U.S for its "equality". How is it equal when gays were being oppressed? Not Right.

Anonymous says2013-08-03T23:41:18.677
It seems that arguments against legalizing same-sex marriage boil down to either chipping away at the status quo, or “I have a right to feel superior to those gay people!”