• Indeed it does

The only classes that ever allowed for any creativity were art and music (and sometimes woodshop). As school budgets get strained these are the classes that get cut, de-emphasized. Its a sad state of affairs. So much time spent teaching history classes and English grammar. The historical events are mostly forgotten and if you can speak properly, then you can write with proper grammar. You don't need to know what a past participle or conjunction junction are if you know how to speak properly.

• Absolutely. Information is all that matters.

School, by nature, is not a creative environment. What gets you marks is your information. You could be ridiculously creative, but without the backbone of excellent, factual information, chances are you won't get an A. Therefore, the system rewards good information seekers and punishes creative outside-the-box students.

As my Physics 11 teacher once said, "They make clay pots downstairs."

• Without a doubt they destroy creativity.

Schools encourage students to conform socially, intellectually, outwardly and so on. Even when you're allowed to be creative, they put a lot of restrictions on it. "Your story has to include *something specific you were recently taught* and can't be longer than 3 paragraphs" "Color this red and this blue" "Don't swear or say anything that contradicts what we tell you". They do this because creativity is free thinking, and the government/people on top don't want people who can think for themselves. If you go to school and have never questioned what you've been taught, have never worn what you want to wear instead of just what your friends wear, or have never done your own research on any history lessons you were taught, you have a bullet in the head (Rage Against the Machine reference). Don't be a sheep, be a human being. It's ok to conform a little but be mostly your own person. Think for yourself and don't believe everything they tell you.

• What teachers need to do...

At the moment I do think school's kill creativity because besides the days I have P.E and besides recess and lunch everyday all I am doing in class is sitting at a desk and I bet everyone can relate. My old maths teacher was the best teacher in the world because she didn't teach like any other teacher. Isn't of working from workbooks she found games that do the same thing the work books do and that is what all teachers need to do.

• Do we even have creativity anymore?

We are punished if we don't follow the rules .We lack creativity with all these rules.We go to school and do the same boring routine.We are at school for 6-7 hours .Then we get home and do your homework.We sit at school silent,instead of being free and being creative,Lets stop the madness!!!

• School Kills Kids

As a student myself, I believe that we, as students, don't get enough opportunities to showcase our creativity. For example, every week when I have music, which is an elective and not everyone takes, we are required to complete an assignment each week. We only sing if we have enough time left at the end of class. That right there sucks, because I love music and I don't want to write essays every week. Also, my school used to separate middle school based off of our multiple intelligences. But now? It's all random. My grades are way worse this year than last year, but my parents just tell me "study harder." Easier said than done. But now since we are randomly thrown together in to a so- called "class" some kids are really falling behind because of the way teacher's are teaching. They try to teach everyone in a way where we all magically understand perfectly, but it's hard in a class of 18 kids.

• As a student and a creative writer, I believe it does.

It's obvious that a structured environment tends to stunt creativity. Students are expected to follow tried-and-true methods instead of creating their own. This is often the case even in subjects like literature, where students are often given strict guidelines for writing things like short stories and poems. My poetry assignments in eighth grade had precise rules for each individual line, making poetry seem very constricted and uncreative.

This effect is amplified by our age's emphasis on STEM, which encourages people to take these structured classes. Through this school system's limited opportunities to expand creativity, talented students are given few opportunities to expand their creative abilities.

Part of it is the psychological effects of school as well. In today's academic environment, being wrong is one of the worst things that can happen to you. Students are taught that there is only one correct answer, and anything else means that you're wrong. This leads to a “I’m just not good at it” mindset, which is common in many students today.

That’s completely untrue. Talent has nothing to do with it; all it takes is desire and time. I can testify that everyone has potential to be creative, and all you need is some way to unlock it. As an elementary school student, I had no interest in creative works whatsoever. In fact, I thought that I was far from creative. I had an unhealthy obsession with video games that dominated every aspect of my being.

I didn’t start writing until fifth grade, when an everyday moment inspired me to try writing. It wasn’t an “Aha!” moment or anything like that. It just involved a journal entry about a guy named Bob.

So I tried writing. I started out horrible. What do you expect? When you try something out for the first time, it won’t be easy to do it well. It's not that you "can't do it".

The thing is, students don’t realize that because school has completely erased that from their heads.

Sure, you can argue that school doesn't kill creativity because of liberal arts electives and stuff like that. But that's not necessarily helpful. At the end of the day, any one high school student might take maybe one or two semesters of a class specializing in their preferred art - alongside six years of structure.

As I mentioned before, I'm an aspiring writer. In the five years I’ve been writing, I’ve written four novels. Out of those four, I only consider one of them decent enough to be published. Because school never trained me to write fiction, I had to use a trial-and-error method to build up my skills.

But isn't school supposed to prepare us for the future? Even in our STEM-conquered lives, creativity is necessary. These days, a new piece of technology isn't interesting because it's new; instead, it's interesting because it brings something new to the table.

I'm not just saying this because I'm a writer; I'm saying this because creativity is vital to future developments.

• Yes, yes it does

I am a high-school student and I find when your math, science or math teacher asks you to be creative and do something out of the ordinary its super hard because you're not used to having to be creative. We are so used to being almost like robots and just doing your typical school work its hard to think outside the box

• How else do kids lose creativity?

Students spend 18+ years of their life in school, every weekday for 7-8 hours straight. Then go home, and do hours of homework.
    With all this time in school, where you have to sit down, be quiet, and are not allowed to go your own way, they believe unless they follow this pattern, they will fail.
    Our school system needs a fix, let's make a change!

• Because school is all about pushing kids through one door. It does not help kids with looking at different alternatives to do a particular assignments.

All kids get is tests. Most students study the night before and memorize a whole bunch of useless information in a period of one night. They take the test and then one week later they dont remember what they learned. True learning is born out of lasting understanding not grades and tests. If you are a doctor you have to know everything about your job patients want to know your good at your job. Because any body can memorize facts learning is all about making connections to prev-ice knowledge and making connections between lessons and topics. Most importentley being able to amply what you learned.

• Schooling offers more knowledge.

Even though public school curriculums are strictly structured, the knowledge children obtain from the holing builds a platform for new innovative thinking. One example of creativity not being killed is that most high school grads that go onto college are dissed into many different majors. If public schools killed creativity and made us all think the same, we would all take the same major.

• Schools do not destroy creativity. Schools may not offer enough art classes, but they certainly don't destroy it.

People destroy their own creativity. The high school I go to is a science and technology school and yet we have three art murals and tons of music and art classes that anyone can take. If a person isn't a naturally creative person, then they just won't be throughout life.

Don't blame the school. This is the technology age so the schools are just preparing you for reality. But school isn't trying to take away your creative spirit. I'm a senior and I haven't taken art since freshman year yet I still love to draw and I still use my brain.

• They give us a platform

While being in school we tend to know certain things which we didnt knew before. These things are called basics. After learning these basics we tend to use our imagination to create wonders. The modern marvels are products of these basics collaborated with our creativity . So schools rather than killing our creativity provides us a platform where we can nurture ourselves to be more creative and imaginative.

• Creativity refers to the ability to think differently

The education system does not kill our creativity but instead in my opinion it improves the quality of our thinking. It structures out thinking and gives us the freedom to formulate our own opinions.It helps us alter our thinking and express our thoughts and emotions in a healthy way. It helps us dream wonder and imagine.

• School give students a chance for learning something new. And it provide students creativity.

I don't think this opinion that school kill creativity. Because school provide us(students) new information and knowledge that we don't know previously, after students understand this, they create new things based on the old more easily. For example, if you learn literature, you take chance to write poem or fiction. If not, because young people don't go to school, he or she has difficult to know literature. Not only this case, but also in many field, students take chance to improve their creativity in school.

Posted by: WonG
  • Creativity in the classroom comes down to the teachers creativity.

Im an art teacher, I work alongside another art teacher who also teaches mathematics. You would think that a subject like maths would discourage creativity, but what has opened my eyes is when this art teacher teaches maths he had the students create graphs on the floor using masking tape and allows them to go outside and give them the freedom to learn where they are not strapped to their desks and with this their marks reflect. I believe that it is not the school, or the subjects that kill creativity, but the teachers and the way the teachers are educated to teach.
    We all need to understand and develop new ways to educate the next generation which is innovative and exciting in order to nurture the creativity, not repress it.

• "kill" really? Definitely doesn't "kill" creativity.

While you may (correctly) argue that school is not necessarily a place which inspires or develops creativity. It definitely does not kill it. I don't find school creatively stimulating, however I don't allow it to stifle my creative side. I merely pursue it outside of school (for me its photography). It is an uncreative person who allows school to "kill" their creativity.

In any event I personally think that school actually gives us the tools which helps drive our creative side. For example teaching a painter different ways of using the brush and achieving what they want. Or teaching a composer various instruments so that he is in a better place to compose from. Or equipping a person who enjoys poetry with a fine vocabulary, so that they may pursue their creative side of writing more effectively.

When whinge about school killing their creativity it makes me sick, as it clearly shows a lack of imagination and is really just an excuse for their laziness. Please get off your arse and make an effort to pursue your creative side rather than finding excuses.

• Courses to learn and further knowledge in new ways

In my high school we have an IB program which amerces people in a different way of learning and thinking about problems. There are also many courses such as economics and Theory of Knowledge which question the ways which any given student looks at a situation and makes them have their own creative interpretation. I think that with all the elective courses you can take, students have a great opportunity to express creativity at school.

• School doesn't kill creativity

Children are still learning to express there feelings in some kind of art, wheter it is with music or with drawing. But how about reading and writing. All kinds of thing where children or people can express there feelings. And it defenitly doesn't KILL creativity. Bit of a strong expression

• No it does not

Think about science, English, reading, and electives. School does not kill creativity, it brings more. Makes you thinking know things that u didn't before. Those things help you when you get older. The creativity from school will help u and i had to write some more stuff to make this get submited so there.