Does school really prepare students for adult life?

• School does prepare you for the future.

School prepares you for the future because it teaches you how to become an everyday worker. Think of it this way, your boss doesn't want you slacking and not doing your work in a everyday environment. Well thats what school is an everyday environment where you complete assignments and whether you do them is up to you or not. However in a common work place if you don't do your work you end up fired, or in an almost same way you fail the class. Which if you think about it is almost like failing your job.

• Dont complain, guys

The very fact you guys are ranting about school like a bunch of preschoolers is proof enough the schools don't teach you enough. Ranting about a system that's been in place for nearly 150 years won't change it, so deal with it. BTW, you've dealt with it your whole lives

• School does help us indeed

School helps us in work,sports and mostly everything in our life !!!
    Do you know how scientists made all those products ????
    Scientists did all the products and creating stuff is by school we need school . People or kids that grew up without school they would be a total mess!!!Some schools are bad but mine which is called Regents Park Christian school is really good . Kids in the school that used to be in are now teachers In schools they learn things from school so they can grow up and have a good life!!!!!!!!!
    SCHOOL DOES REALLY HELP PREPARE STUDENTS FOR AN ADULT LIFE.
    THINK ABOUT IT !!!!!!Come on you know school does .
    Thank you .🎓🎓🎓🎓📜📜🌟😊😄

• Read this.... It'll change you forever

I recently was on the no side until i realized... It isn't about the knowledge, its about the effort. When other jobs look at how well you did in school, they let you in. You can make it into your dream with school.
    School=Effort
    Effort=Job
    Job=Money
    Money=Rich
    Rich=frik yes mayn im frinykin rich

• High school prepares you for the real world

If you think it doesn't help you be ready than you are either retarded or did not pay attention to anything while you were there and had your thumb up your ass. I mean c'mon man high school is 4 years though I'm sure that you dropped out the first day

• Is school really that important, would it really affect someone to drop out?

No it wouldn't if you think about it. We all learn the basic math, reading, and writing skills we need from kindergarten to third grade. After that nothing isn't that important. Area of shapes is useless. Algebra is useless. Almost everything in science is pretty much useless. When will we learn the things we really need to know? What about survival? Or manners, or getting a job, or even social skills. This is what really matters.

• There are a bunch of babys

People just dont like school so they vote no just grow up. We will need it for our jobs. The person who was just naming the stuff that the school dosent help us with well those are your own problem. The school helps us with our jobs and eveyone needs to grow up.

• School CAN prepare you for adult life, but there is no guarantee; you must take school, like life, into your own hands.

One point brought up by anti-schooling proponents is the lack of direct correlation between school and "reality," i.e. life without a teacher directing what is mandated. A common thread here seems to say school neglects financial knowledge; that can be rectified. The true problem with schools is often how they're taught. STEM courses can be incredibly creative classes, but they're often taught as memorize-able classes where discovery is unimportant. The point of schools is to help you help yourself. While poor teachers and classes can hinder learning, one of the most important things I've learned from school is how to take things for myself. If a teacher is bad, I teach myself. It's not about money; I can make money. Before someone points out that the dropouts ran our computer renaissance, I would point out that schools should help us help ourselves, including when to drop the regimen of standard paths and start on our own. (I have a hard time acknowledging an argument that says schools are useless when the authors could't even compel themselves to spell check and add superfluous capital letters. We have English classes to learn about the art of Rhetoric and persuasion; you're a lot more credible if you sound well-educated and intelligent. For the middle schoolers here, give high school a chance. If the curriculum doesn't work for you, take matters into your own hands.) life isn't about waiting for someone to teach you.)

• Yes. School prepares students far beyond the curriculum.

School teaches students important skills, many of which can become character traits, such as....
    ...Routine. Students have to wake up at a certain time, get dressed, eat breakfast, maybe pack a lunch, and leave at a certain time. At school, the bell rings signifying specified time periods for specified classes. In the real world, work is much like a routine, and raising children requires routine as well.
    ...Time Management. If students do not manage their time well during study halls or after school--especially students who are involved in extracurricular activities--their grades will suffer.
    ...Social Lessons. In school, students have the opportunity to master a variety of necessary skills from working with others, to making friends, to being a good friend, to interacting with people who are very different, to resolving conflicts, to sharing and putting others first.
    ...Respect for Authority. School teaches students to respect authority. Even when students don't particularly like a teacher, tough luck. They're stuck with him/her so they better hunker down and accept the fact. You don't get to choose your boss, manager, or supervisor when you get a job. You make the best of it and learn how to respect and work under him/her.
    ...Endurance and perseverance. School teaches students about endurance and perseverance. Many times, students feel like they're just pushing through, holding on, trying to survive, barely making it... But life is a lot like that oftentimes. In life you will feel the stress even more as your finances, job, family, and security may hang in the balance.
    ....Working under deadlines and stress. Everything we do in North American life has deadlines attached to it. We are what is termed a crisis-oriented culture. School and work start a defined time. Businesses open and close at defined times. There are deadlines to get your car inspected and registered, to sign up for healthcare, to apply for jobs, to go to meetings, to get certain job-related projects done, etc.
    ...Prioritization. All this requires the skill of being able to prioritize one's time. This is the only way to get done what needs to get done.
    ...Hard Work. School teaches students that hard work pays off...Usually. The payment in school is in grades that let you advance to the next level and eventually graduate....
    ...But sometimes school teaches that hard work doesn't always pay off as much as you'd like (when you spent hours studying for that test and studied all the wrong stuff). But you still press on and continue to work hard.
    ...School teaches how to adapt to different "management styles" as students learn each teacher and figure out his/her routines, buttons, expectations.
    ...I'm sure the list could go on...

• Make you have a self confidence

School really teach me how to be a brave guy. I means my self confidence. Before this, I've no self confidence and always shy to talk in front of the people. But, right now I dont afraid and shy to talk in front of people. If you say school not help to prepare for adult life, I think maybe you just thinking to get a money and become a rich person with any efforts. This is not a video game but this is our life.So, think properly

• I'm 26 and NONE of these ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY classes were even offered in high school, college, or graduate school:

-Writing Effective Resumes and Online Profiles
    -Job Applications and Automated Applicant Tracking Systems
    -Social Media Participation
    -Proper Manners, Demeanor, and Dress
    -Proper Behavior in Business and Public
    -Grooming and Appearance
    -Creating and Following Schedules
    -Conducting Winning Interviews
    -Negotiating in the Business World
    -Writing Brief E-mails
    -Writing Executive Summaries
    -Writing Professional Reports
    -Planning and Hosting Small Meetings
    -Voting and the Election Process
    -Civic and Community Life
    -Volunteering in Your Community
    -Using the Library and Library Services
    -Writing College Applications
    -Writing Scholarship and Fellowship Applications
    -What to Know Before Signing for a College Loan
    -How to Know What You Owe for College
    -Navigating Higher Education
    -Fulfilling College Graduation Requirements
    -How to Find an Internship
    -Making the Best of Your Internship
    -Certifications for Your Career
    -International Travel Planning and Safety
    -Domestic Travel Planning and Safety
    -Driver's Education
    -How to Buy or Lease a Car
    -DMV Requirements and Vehicle Registration
    -Vehicle Insurance
    -How to Make and Follow a Personal Budget
    -Online Banking
    -Online Investing
    -Frugal Shopping Methods and Skills
    -Person to Person Transaction Safety (Craigslist)
    -Means of Credit
    -Renting vs. Buying a Home
    -How to Buy a Home
    -Mortgages and Home Equity
    -How to Find a Rental Home
    -What You Need to Know Before Signing a Lease
    -Budgeting for Home Costs and Property Taxes
    -Homeowners' and Renters' Insurance
    -Home Safety and Health
    -Fire Safety
    -Water Safety
    -Backpacking and Camping Safety
    -Agriculture, Food Production, and Food Distribution
    -How to Grow Food
    -Basic Maintenance for Lawns and Gardens
    -Basic Maintenance for Buildings
    -Basic Maintenance for Vehicles
    -Basic Maintenance for Home Appliances
    -Cleaning Methods for Surfaces and Products
    -Home Organizational Methods
    -Using Technology (Sharepoint) for Efficient Homekeeping
    -Clothing and Linen Repair
    -Reusing, Repurposing, and Upcycling
    -Balanced Diets
    -Food Preparation for Singles
    -Food Preparation for Infants and Toddlers
    -Food Preparation for Families
    -Food Preparation for Events/Holidays
    -Retirement Income Planning
    -Filing Income Taxes
    -Resources for Those with Low Income
    -Navigating the Divorce Process
    -Navigating Courts and the Justice System
    -Interacting with Police or Security Officers
    -What to Do If You've Been Called for Jury Duty
    -What to Do if You've Been Evicted
    -What to Do if You Become Homeless
    -What to Do if You've Been Assaulted
    -Navigating the Healthcare System
    -Preventing Illness and Chronic Disease
    -Adopting and Caring for Pets
    -Maintaining Healthy Relationships
    -What to Do If You or Someone You Know Is Being Abused
    -Resources for Battered Children and Parents
    -How to Prepare for Pregnancy
    -Safe Sex
    -The Birthing Process
    -Resources for Children with Low Income Parents
    -Infant Care
    -Care for the Developmentally Challenged
    -Toddler Care
    -Child Care
    -Teen Care
    -Young Adult Care
    -Elderly Parent Care
    -End of Life / Terminally Ill Care
    -Cardiovascular Fitness and Health
    -Mind and Body Wellness
    -Caring for Someone With A Mental Health Disorder
    -Caring for Someone With A History of Convictions
    -Caring for Someone With Addiction
    -Caring for Someone Who Has Been Abused
    -Caring for Someone Who Has Returned from Active Service
    -Dealing with Difficult Roommates
    -How to Have a Crucial Conversation
    -Foster Parenting and Adoption
    -Wedding Planning
    -Funeral Planning
    -Reunion Planning

• No, schools are a joke and need to be fixed.

Not only schools, but I think the whole (UK) National Curriculum needs an overhaul. I'm telling you now, no-one is ever going to use a recorder or piano to make a living off, so music is useless. Art isn't needed either, as it's very unlikely that anyone is going to be an artist. And don't give me that stuff about "teaching creativity", because creativity is only helpful if you are designing a product, and that is usually based off market research anyway. As for English, we should be learning about writing resumes and formal letters to job interviewers instead of looking at poetry. IT is a big problem too, as none of the things they teach us are going to be relevant when we're adults. I was just told that the my school was finally upgrading to the "new" Microsoft Office 2010. Is anyone still going to be using 2010 in 20 years? I doubt it.

• No definitely not

School does not give you the skills necessary to live and understand life. School gives you the skills needed to be in a job. A mindless , repetitive job that will doubtfully give you enough free time to pursue your passions or explore hobbies. School teaches you to not go for dreams , abandon them and instead become a member of the working class. School teaches you that if you work hard enough you will get a 'good' job and earn lots of money to be successful yet the idea of success is entirely what a person makes wants it to be. School tells you money=good but to get lots of money you have to work long hours and sacrifice your life...For paper. I cant stress enough how angry I get at society for thinking its normal and good to force their kids into a place they despise. Especially if they have actual reasons to not want to go in. I am forced to go to school even though it makes me worse. There are times when I literally learn nothing new and all I have are words shoved down my throat at assembly. Words like 'you choose to come to school' and that the new door locking systems are for 'our' safety yet all they do is make us come in earlier and don't actually prevent break ins. A sensible person would think the guards , barbed fence , patrol staff , endless CCTV and would be enough , if not , too much. School causes stress to absurd amounts and is only getting more difficult. School is horrible for me as all it seems to do is educate you enough to get a job and join the rat race. They hide information away from us as well and overall condition us to think our lack of free speech , overwhelming work and constant spying on is ok and not wrong whatsoever. When I get older I want to pursue my dreams , live happily and see the world for what it really is. School , doesn't do that.

• It doesn't help you with your financial needs

All my life i've seen how my family tell me that school is the best way to prosper and get money, but seing them i can notice how wrong they are. School just show a way of living, it doesn't mean it's the only one. There are more plenty ways to get money besides school and college education, school is just "the most secure" way to get it, you just need to finish college and hope there is someone to hire you after it. Many peope choose their career basing in economic profits they will get from it. On my part i think that money shouldn't be even a factor in that kind of decisions. One can have a job and career far apart from their economic livelihood, for example in the case of the investments, one can have an active profit coming from their investments instead of waiting for a paycheck every month, in that way you don't even have to "be" there to get money because the money works for you and you don't work from the money. And besides that you'd be full of time to do what you really want, in this case your career.

• Absolutely not at all.

Schools do not teach you life skills enough. They don't teach you how to be self sufficient, how to manage banking, do yaxes, or maintain a household. You waste countless hours learning how rocks are formed or geometry, but only a few professions use those skills. If you don't go into those professions you've just wasted your entire time and I know for sure I'm not becoming a geologist. Knowing those useless facts will not make you a btter parent. It will not teach you how to support a family, which are skills that most people need but are never taught. I'd love to be able to learn how business works and understand economy by going to school but these are things I just ask around or look up on the internet when it should br the opposite.

• No, there is not enough and sometimes too much

School has taught me a lot, enough to know that teachers work out of book, all the answers are on the side. Teachers don't actually teach, they talk. I'm a junior in high school, currently going to college as a freshman for dual enrollment. I've been through more math classes than both my parents went through in two years of college. I'm in AP calculus, at 17. I can work out the side measures and angle measures of any triangle in a solid minute. I can write a 7 page paper in one night. What do I not know what to do? I don't know how to get a loan, I don't know what a mortgage is, I don't know what life insurance is going to be best for me. The high school has a life preparation class. I took it, I now know how to make sure my baby doesn't die if I have a kid tomorrow, I know how to sew a pillowcase, and I know how to cook by reading a box dinner. We never got close to balancing a checkbook or understanding banking accounts. School is great for giving students a basic education, and slowly but surely a higher education, but when I had my parent's degree of high school education in 7th grade, school had gone too far. Granted it showed me that I'm kick a in math and that I should be an engineer, but I had never been to a college and wouldn't have gone til I graduated high school. What school focuses on too much is being college and how to get students to college, it doesn't teach how to live and be a person past that. It's like "Great you're in college, now f off and good luck".

• It does not

I'm an eighth grader, and right now, we're learning about quadratic functions. And for what? I believe we don't need to know what quadratic functions are in order to progress in life. All of this useless information is being crammed into our heads, which is building up more stress and can have severe negative long-term effects. We need to learn about paying bills, maintaining your bank account, and how to overall live life as an adult. Oh, but what are we learning? About quadratic formulas and other useless things.

• School only teaches you how to take tests.

School is pathetic all over the world, and no matter how many 'excellences' or "A's" you get, you still know next to nothing about jobs. You waste all your time studying for meaningless tests, when you could be getting a foothold in the working world. As a highschool student, I'm not very optimistic about the future. I want to do this, I want to do that, but school is very limited, and forces you to waste precious time on subjects such as P.E. I think more subjects should be optional, and careers advice should be implemented, as the 'careers advice' at my school doesn't do anything aside from ask you what you want to do. They should explain what subjects you need to take for specific jobs, rather than wasting all your time learning how to throw a ball when you'll end up as a computer programmer. It teaches you how to be social, and how to build a popularity pyramid, but even if you're at the top, you're still screwed. I dread school, and life beyond looks bleak, because some subjects just start too late.

There needs to be defined lines around which subjects work for which careers, and more options so if you change your mind you aren't condemned to Mc Donalds. If school did a proper job, tertiary education wouldn't be needed as much as it is to even hope of getting a job.

I've seen a lot of people here saying "art and music is useless", and you might think so, but for others, their dream career is being snuffed due to the the lack of creativity in schools. I take art, and all we learn is realistic drawing. No other styles. It's too restricting, and students should be free to make their own way in the world, not all shipped down the conveyor belt to sh*tty desk jobs.

• Iouhuuuuuuh hbhbybhb hbnuyhb

Mkginbjthbuthnyth hiyhnyjhuyhj86j6ihjynyihy nb ingiugbtnubnt vujnbutnbtubnt jnugbnutbntugthnt butnbtbhubhutbjt btuntbtjtibty btungtubt n bu u j j j j jj j jj j j j j j hj jj j j j jj jj j j j j jj j j j jj j j j j j j jj j j j j j j 78vhubj

• Iouhuuuuuuh hbhbybhb hbnuyhb