Does school really prepare students for adult life?

• School does prepare you for the future.

School prepares you for the future because it teaches you how to become an everyday worker. Think of it this way, your boss doesn't want you slacking and not doing your work in a everyday environment. Well thats what school is an everyday environment where you complete assignments and whether you do them is up to you or not. However in a common work place if you don't do your work you end up fired, or in an almost same way you fail the class. Which if you think about it is almost like failing your job.

• Dont complain, guys

The very fact you guys are ranting about school like a bunch of preschoolers is proof enough the schools don't teach you enough. Ranting about a system that's been in place for nearly 150 years won't change it, so deal with it. BTW, you've dealt with it your whole lives

• School CAN prepare you for adult life, but there is no guarantee; you must take school, like life, into your own hands.

One point brought up by anti-schooling proponents is the lack of direct correlation between school and "reality," i.e. life without a teacher directing what is mandated. A common thread here seems to say school neglects financial knowledge; that can be rectified. The true problem with schools is often how they're taught. STEM courses can be incredibly creative classes, but they're often taught as memorize-able classes where discovery is unimportant. The point of schools is to help you help yourself. While poor teachers and classes can hinder learning, one of the most important things I've learned from school is how to take things for myself. If a teacher is bad, I teach myself. It's not about money; I can make money. Before someone points out that the dropouts ran our computer renaissance, I would point out that schools should help us help ourselves, including when to drop the regimen of standard paths and start on our own. (I have a hard time acknowledging an argument that says schools are useless when the authors could't even compel themselves to spell check and add superfluous capital letters. We have English classes to learn about the art of Rhetoric and persuasion; you're a lot more credible if you sound well-educated and intelligent. For the middle schoolers here, give high school a chance. If the curriculum doesn't work for you, take matters into your own hands.) life isn't about waiting for someone to teach you.)

• Yes. School prepares students far beyond the curriculum.

School teaches students important skills, many of which can become character traits, such as....
    ...Routine. Students have to wake up at a certain time, get dressed, eat breakfast, maybe pack a lunch, and leave at a certain time. At school, the bell rings signifying specified time periods for specified classes. In the real world, work is much like a routine, and raising children requires routine as well.
    ...Time Management. If students do not manage their time well during study halls or after school--especially students who are involved in extracurricular activities--their grades will suffer.
    ...Social Lessons. In school, students have the opportunity to master a variety of necessary skills from working with others, to making friends, to being a good friend, to interacting with people who are very different, to resolving conflicts, to sharing and putting others first.
    ...Respect for Authority. School teaches students to respect authority. Even when students don't particularly like a teacher, tough luck. They're stuck with him/her so they better hunker down and accept the fact. You don't get to choose your boss, manager, or supervisor when you get a job. You make the best of it and learn how to respect and work under him/her.
    ...Endurance and perseverance. School teaches students about endurance and perseverance. Many times, students feel like they're just pushing through, holding on, trying to survive, barely making it... But life is a lot like that oftentimes. In life you will feel the stress even more as your finances, job, family, and security may hang in the balance.
    ....Working under deadlines and stress. Everything we do in North American life has deadlines attached to it. We are what is termed a crisis-oriented culture. School and work start a defined time. Businesses open and close at defined times. There are deadlines to get your car inspected and registered, to sign up for healthcare, to apply for jobs, to go to meetings, to get certain job-related projects done, etc.
    ...Prioritization. All this requires the skill of being able to prioritize one's time. This is the only way to get done what needs to get done.
    ...Hard Work. School teaches students that hard work pays off...Usually. The payment in school is in grades that let you advance to the next level and eventually graduate....
    ...But sometimes school teaches that hard work doesn't always pay off as much as you'd like (when you spent hours studying for that test and studied all the wrong stuff). But you still press on and continue to work hard.
    ...School teaches how to adapt to different "management styles" as students learn each teacher and figure out his/her routines, buttons, expectations.
    ...I'm sure the list could go on...

• Is school really that important, would it really affect someone to drop out?

No it wouldn't if you think about it. We all learn the basic math, reading, and writing skills we need from kindergarten to third grade. After that nothing isn't that important. Area of shapes is useless. Algebra is useless. Almost everything in science is pretty much useless. When will we learn the things we really need to know? What about survival? Or manners, or getting a job, or even social skills. This is what really matters.

• There are a bunch of babys

People just dont like school so they vote no just grow up. We will need it for our jobs. The person who was just naming the stuff that the school dosent help us with well those are your own problem. The school helps us with our jobs and eveyone needs to grow up.

• Make you have a self confidence

School really teach me how to be a brave guy. I means my self confidence. Before this, I've no self confidence and always shy to talk in front of the people. But, right now I dont afraid and shy to talk in front of people. If you say school not help to prepare for adult life, I think maybe you just thinking to get a money and become a rich person with any efforts. This is not a video game but this is our life.So, think properly

• School Helps Prepare you.

No, you probably won't use calculus later in your life, but school teaches you more than just subjects. School helps you learn relationship skills, teaches you how to respect authority, helps you create relationship, learn basic skills like reading, writing, and basic math. School teaches you history which is important because if you ignore history, it will repeat itself.

• Way Too Basic

School is too basic of a curriculum having to involve core classes that are required by the government. Outside of the core classes, which already take up the main chunk of a student's day, the average student is likely to not have classes that involve real-world problems and solutions to the problems. Schools should aim to be more diverse in content and specify in more job-related fields and opportunities.

• I learned some of the good communications rules I needed for my job

I do believe that when we are or where at school people do not learn absolutely everything they need to know right there and then but we are taught a lot of useful information and skills so yes school does partially prepare young people for adult life. Truth be told we learn from what we do when we are transitioning into adult life weather that's learning through college, university, work or relationships and much more. Although we start learning from very young we are still learning even when we get very old. We learn from doing different things and making different choices throughout our life's. I have learned some of my most recent communication skills through working as a Learning Facilitator. I didn't go to University or College to get my job or get qualified for a job I just used skills I have learned naturally and built up my skills through doing mini courses through work and learning and building up my job role.

• I'm 26 and NONE of these ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY classes were even offered in high school, college, or graduate school:

-Writing Effective Resumes and Online Profiles
    -Job Applications and Automated Applicant Tracking Systems
    -Social Media Participation
    -Proper Manners, Demeanor, and Dress
    -Proper Behavior in Business and Public
    -Grooming and Appearance
    -Creating and Following Schedules
    -Conducting Winning Interviews
    -Negotiating in the Business World
    -Writing Brief E-mails
    -Writing Executive Summaries
    -Writing Professional Reports
    -Planning and Hosting Small Meetings
    -Voting and the Election Process
    -Civic and Community Life
    -Volunteering in Your Community
    -Using the Library and Library Services
    -Writing College Applications
    -Writing Scholarship and Fellowship Applications
    -What to Know Before Signing for a College Loan
    -How to Know What You Owe for College
    -Navigating Higher Education
    -Fulfilling College Graduation Requirements
    -How to Find an Internship
    -Making the Best of Your Internship
    -Certifications for Your Career
    -International Travel Planning and Safety
    -Domestic Travel Planning and Safety
    -Driver's Education
    -How to Buy or Lease a Car
    -DMV Requirements and Vehicle Registration
    -Vehicle Insurance
    -How to Make and Follow a Personal Budget
    -Online Banking
    -Online Investing
    -Frugal Shopping Methods and Skills
    -Person to Person Transaction Safety (Craigslist)
    -Means of Credit
    -Renting vs. Buying a Home
    -How to Buy a Home
    -Mortgages and Home Equity
    -How to Find a Rental Home
    -What You Need to Know Before Signing a Lease
    -Budgeting for Home Costs and Property Taxes
    -Homeowners' and Renters' Insurance
    -Home Safety and Health
    -Fire Safety
    -Water Safety
    -Backpacking and Camping Safety
    -Agriculture, Food Production, and Food Distribution
    -How to Grow Food
    -Basic Maintenance for Lawns and Gardens
    -Basic Maintenance for Buildings
    -Basic Maintenance for Vehicles
    -Basic Maintenance for Home Appliances
    -Cleaning Methods for Surfaces and Products
    -Home Organizational Methods
    -Using Technology (Sharepoint) for Efficient Homekeeping
    -Clothing and Linen Repair
    -Reusing, Repurposing, and Upcycling
    -Balanced Diets
    -Food Preparation for Singles
    -Food Preparation for Infants and Toddlers
    -Food Preparation for Families
    -Food Preparation for Events/Holidays
    -Retirement Income Planning
    -Filing Income Taxes
    -Resources for Those with Low Income
    -Navigating the Divorce Process
    -Navigating Courts and the Justice System
    -Interacting with Police or Security Officers
    -What to Do If You've Been Called for Jury Duty
    -What to Do if You've Been Evicted
    -What to Do if You Become Homeless
    -What to Do if You've Been Assaulted
    -Navigating the Healthcare System
    -Preventing Illness and Chronic Disease
    -Adopting and Caring for Pets
    -Maintaining Healthy Relationships
    -What to Do If You or Someone You Know Is Being Abused
    -Resources for Battered Children and Parents
    -How to Prepare for Pregnancy
    -Safe Sex
    -The Birthing Process
    -Resources for Children with Low Income Parents
    -Infant Care
    -Care for the Developmentally Challenged
    -Toddler Care
    -Child Care
    -Teen Care
    -Young Adult Care
    -Elderly Parent Care
    -End of Life / Terminally Ill Care
    -Cardiovascular Fitness and Health
    -Mind and Body Wellness
    -Caring for Someone With A Mental Health Disorder
    -Caring for Someone With A History of Convictions
    -Caring for Someone With Addiction
    -Caring for Someone Who Has Been Abused
    -Caring for Someone Who Has Returned from Active Service
    -Dealing with Difficult Roommates
    -How to Have a Crucial Conversation
    -Foster Parenting and Adoption
    -Wedding Planning
    -Funeral Planning
    -Reunion Planning

• No, schools are a joke and need to be fixed.

Not only schools, but I think the whole (UK) National Curriculum needs an overhaul. I'm telling you now, no-one is ever going to use a recorder or piano to make a living off, so music is useless. Art isn't needed either, as it's very unlikely that anyone is going to be an artist. And don't give me that stuff about "teaching creativity", because creativity is only helpful if you are designing a product, and that is usually based off market research anyway. As for English, we should be learning about writing resumes and formal letters to job interviewers instead of looking at poetry. IT is a big problem too, as none of the things they teach us are going to be relevant when we're adults. I was just told that the my school was finally upgrading to the "new" Microsoft Office 2010. Is anyone still going to be using 2010 in 20 years? I doubt it.

• No definitely not

School does not give you the skills necessary to live and understand life. School gives you the skills needed to be in a job. A mindless , repetitive job that will doubtfully give you enough free time to pursue your passions or explore hobbies. School teaches you to not go for dreams , abandon them and instead become a member of the working class. School teaches you that if you work hard enough you will get a 'good' job and earn lots of money to be successful yet the idea of success is entirely what a person makes wants it to be. School tells you money=good but to get lots of money you have to work long hours and sacrifice your life...For paper. I cant stress enough how angry I get at society for thinking its normal and good to force their kids into a place they despise. Especially if they have actual reasons to not want to go in. I am forced to go to school even though it makes me worse. There are times when I literally learn nothing new and all I have are words shoved down my throat at assembly. Words like 'you choose to come to school' and that the new door locking systems are for 'our' safety yet all they do is make us come in earlier and don't actually prevent break ins. A sensible person would think the guards , barbed fence , patrol staff , endless CCTV and would be enough , if not , too much. School causes stress to absurd amounts and is only getting more difficult. School is horrible for me as all it seems to do is educate you enough to get a job and join the rat race. They hide information away from us as well and overall condition us to think our lack of free speech , overwhelming work and constant spying on is ok and not wrong whatsoever. When I get older I want to pursue my dreams , live happily and see the world for what it really is. School , doesn't do that.

• It doesn't help you with your financial needs

All my life i've seen how my family tell me that school is the best way to prosper and get money, but seing them i can notice how wrong they are. School just show a way of living, it doesn't mean it's the only one. There are more plenty ways to get money besides school and college education, school is just "the most secure" way to get it, you just need to finish college and hope there is someone to hire you after it. Many peope choose their career basing in economic profits they will get from it. On my part i think that money shouldn't be even a factor in that kind of decisions. One can have a job and career far apart from their economic livelihood, for example in the case of the investments, one can have an active profit coming from their investments instead of waiting for a paycheck every month, in that way you don't even have to "be" there to get money because the money works for you and you don't work from the money. And besides that you'd be full of time to do what you really want, in this case your career.

• Absolutely not at all.

Schools do not teach you life skills enough. They don't teach you how to be self sufficient, how to manage banking, do yaxes, or maintain a household. You waste countless hours learning how rocks are formed or geometry, but only a few professions use those skills. If you don't go into those professions you've just wasted your entire time and I know for sure I'm not becoming a geologist. Knowing those useless facts will not make you a btter parent. It will not teach you how to support a family, which are skills that most people need but are never taught. I'd love to be able to learn how business works and understand economy by going to school but these are things I just ask around or look up on the internet when it should br the opposite.

• School does not help

If school really did help get jobs and money, then my sister wouldnt be stuck at home. She got good grades in school yet none helped her move out and get enough money. Also i dont see a lot of schools teaching how to use money wisely. I had to learn myself.

• School is stupid

I attend a Catholic School High School (which is WAY worse than regular school because you are FORCED to believe in a structured religion and have no other way of letting yourself believe In whatever you actually believe in or how you believe in things) and it is HORRIBLE! School should be a place that teaches you about life and the REAL WORLD! Why are so many people unemployed and homeless? Hmmm... Well the citizens of America been forced to learn the same BS for how many years now? Answer that and then argue that school is REALLY useful! :-/

• No it does not

I am a seventh grade student right now and let me just tell you that school does NOT prepare us for adult life. Honestly they should be teaching us how to balance a checkbook, pay taxes, pay the bills and all that other stuff. And what doesn't help with all of this is common core. They just made everything worse. Teaching us stuff that is really hard and that we ARE NEVER GOING TO USE IN THE REAL WORLD!!!!!!! I used to be a straight A student but thanks to common core I dropped. This is probably really bad but I want to drop out right now. But right I have to go to hel- I mean SCHOOL:(

• School does not prepare you to the level that it should.

Sure, we learn how to problem solve, and endure tough work loads. But as a freshman in high school, it's incredibly frustrating listening to things I'll never use again. For example, in math class, we have to solve "real world problems." These problems mostly include that "Billy is on a roller coaster and wants to calculate the slope of it." These are problems that are highly unlikely to be used in the real world. I want to know how to balance a checkbook, pay taxes, use insurance, take care of kids and a family, how to buy a house or a car, not how to graph quadratic formulas or figure out the slope of a line. Why can't we learn to problem solve and deal with a heavy work load while learning about the real world? I wish there were specialized classes you could choose. You want to be an artist? Here's a math class on math in art. You want to be a construction worker? Here's the math that you're going to need. It would take a lot of work and effort, but it would be so much better than what we have now, as students.

• I'm a teenage guy who absolutely hating my dumb teachers.

Ok so in all reality what is so bad about listening to music in school. Most of the fundamentals of my life revolve around the music I listen to and I don't see the harm in me listening to good music. In all honesty schools should support music as it is one of the biggest industries out there in the market.(keep in mind i said one of )