• Yeah, a lot of useless things.

The average person will never use 90% of the things they're taught in high school classes. The educational system really needs to rethink the kind of classes it makes mandatory. Far too many classes are completely inapplicable to life in the real world. Alternative education, like tech ed, is usually worth it.

• School does teach useless things!

I think that middle and high school teach useless things that we aren't going to use in real life! Why we need to learn about the square roots and physics? How do we use it? Nothing! School should really teach us real life stuff because their parents don't know real life stuff from school!

• General Dumb Junk in Schools

I am in 9th grade High School right now and I have to learn 30 people for a quiz. I have to know the date of birth, date of death, what they did and why they did it. Now, where and when is someone going to ask me, "What did Galen of Pergamum do and when was his birthday? If you get this wrong you are fired." This kind of junk isn't just for history. Biology, I could be learning how our body works so I can manage my health, but instead, there is frog dissection and other junk. Algebra, do I really need to know that the commutative property of addition tells me that 2+1 is the same thing as 1+2? I think a turtle could figure that out. English, I have to read Great Expectations and waste an entire marking period just on that. Instead, I could be learning how to improve my essay writing abilities for job applications and cover letters.

• Not all school is useless, but a lot of it is.

I wish there was something in between yes and no here, because this isn't a completely closed question. I guess saying that school does teach useless things is true, but school is definitely important.

I am a freshman in high school right now, so I have personal firsthand experience with this.

Let's break this down subject-by-subject:

History: Sometimes it's interesting, but really, do we need to know the exact dates of things that happened? I guess some history is important to know (but not critically, let's be honest), but how will it benefit me to know the date the Gettysburg Address was delivered, or the day the Civil War ended.

English: My least favorite. I know how to talk and write. Some things are useful, like argumentative writing, but even things like that are taught like there is only one way to write an essay. It's so confusing... I know how to argue. But other things... When would I EVER need to know the difference between compound and complex sentences (unless maybe I want to be an English teacher)? Also, grammar, I find it kind of fun, but in practice, strict grammar rules are stupid and useless. We "have" to write with correct grammar, but who wants to read that anyway? Now that I think about it, I'm not really learning much of that anymore anyway... Huh. Anyway, I think English is great, but they need to change it. We're not learning new words in class anymore, we are just learning the exact same stuff we did in 6th grade. It would be nice to actually be learning how to speak English, not the "correct" way to write an essay.

Math: I love math. Being 2 grades ahead in math, I can say that math is an exception to this "useless" stuff. Sure, it's not always useful, but basic stuff is useful no matter how life goes, and complex stuff is great for prepping people who have big life plans.

Science: Same kind of thing as math. Not always useful in life, but handy to know this kind of stuff. The problem is we pretty much do the same stuff over the years, not learning too much new stuff.

Electives: These are great! Things like PE (phys ed) are obviously extremely useful, and other electives like band, and computers (which I am actually required to take) are very awesome because students can choose what path they want to follow.

Conclusion: (Wow, I just wrote an essay! No thanks to English class!) School is important, and should be taken seriously. But much of the subjects either are not generally worth learning, or are not taught right. So, to answer the question, yes, school teaches useless things, but not everything taught is useless; in fact, most is not.

• Yes, much is not needed

If the class is mandatory it should teach you things that you will use in the future more than in school and will need to remember. I understand optional elective classes such as Law Enforcement or Drama depending on the school you attend, however in all truthfulness when, unless entering a biology/Science field will you ever need to know something like the difference between rough cytoplasmic ER versus smooth cytoplasmic ER? If it is a class that is electoral or optional then yes, it could be useless. But, the classes needed to graduate and complete school should teach proper things, I understand basic science, math, history, English and basics in other things. Because more often than not you will be needing it. But it should also be aware of what we are actually going to end up using in our "real lives"

• School teaches useless info (mostly)

In reality, there are very few jobs that rely on cell knowledge or fractions. I honestly have never used any type of math besides basic math in my life (Besides school of course) Topics that should be taught are more useful things like: Cooking, Banking, and sex education. Not how to turn a fraction into a decimal. Honestly, though. English? More like useless...

• School teaches useless info (mostly)

• School teaches useless info (mostly)

• School teaches useless info (mostly)

• School teaches useless info (mostly)

• NO NO NO they don't even though they hold your dreams it makes them bigger you get more options.

Even though kids hate school you have to go to school so you can get a job you know your not a kid forever you need to go to collage youtube and drawings don't get you into collage or get you a job school gets you a job i hate school but it will help me get a job and get to collage not being a school drop out just to have my dream of being a youtuber.No school does not teach useless things.

• Perfectly Fine Education

I am now graduating my high school in 6 months and everything that I have learned has helped me get on to the next stage in classes. If someone were to pick classes based off of what their career will be. Not one class should be useless to them, but it's understandable that the road worker or minimal wage worker doesn't like math and disagrees. I am sure there are people who work those jobs that loved math but failed in English or one of the 4 year credited classes for high school. Highschool has taught me the beginnings of how to read music and allows me to now play piece's by Chopin on the piano because I kept at the instrument for years. Each year of math that I had gone over has helped me get to the point of being able to pass my physics class. The history classes that many people do agree against in it not being useful has helped me in my passion of World War Two. As well as the two foreign language classes that will help me communicate with the world.

Some classes in school can be considered useless by certain people while others would disagree. Arts classes fall victim to this often because of the people who just don't want to contribute to it commonly doesn't care for the budget or happiness it provides. Challenge me if you want on that but have you seen a guy wearing long socks and Jordan's, with Beat's head phones around their neck care about how to draw a photo-realistic sketch.

• They're applicable concepts

The knowledge used in physics isn't necessarily pertained to physics alone, but rather applicable life concepts on how to test things you are curious about and wondering why your friend broke his leg when falling from the tree; when you fell thousands of times without a broken bone.

The logic of math and science are good for observations, you may not know it, but in the long run this knowledge of square roots and physical sciences will apply to everyday thinking when it's not even related.