Does simply disagreeing with homosexuality (not with hate or disdain) make you a bigot?

Asked by: SegBeg
  • Replace the word homosexuality with any other minority

If you swap out homosexuality with African-Americans or Latinos it instantly becomes a bigoted comment. Therefore, if you disagree with homosexuality you are a bigot even if you aren't disdainful or hateful towards them.

The question that needs to be asked and truthfully answered is why these people disagree with homosexuality. If it is due to your religion then your religion promotes hate and discrimination and therefore you are a part of that and therefore become a bigot.

If it is due to non religious reasons then you need to find out why you feel that way and figure out where the disagreement is coming from. If you just feel like it's wrong it's probably due to the fact that you find it repulsive which then makes you a bigot, albeit a polite one.

• I do not think so.

A bigot is someone who is intolerant of another's opinions or beliefs. It is one thing to disagree with someone or something but it is another thing to be intolerant of it. I don't think disagreeing with homosexuality makes you a bigot by default. I don't agree with homosexuality but I do believe that anyone is free to do what they want to- if you want to be gay, be gay but that does not mean I have to agree with you.

It seems that some liberals have twisted the meaning of tolerance to mean someone who agrees with everything they think and when they do not it is regarded as intolerance or bigotry. This is nonsense. Tolerance is putting up with another's differing beliefs even if you do not agree with them. A person who disagrees with homosexuality or gay marriage can indeed be a bigot but not by default. If they are respectful towards homosexuals and are tolerant of their beliefs then there is no reason to label them a bigot. If they go around spreading hate on homosexuals then of course that would make them a bigot! But the problem is that LGBT's think they are immune to bigotry when in reality they are not. If an LGBT spreads hate towards those who disagree with their lifestyle then that is raw intolerance and bigotry so that is what bothers me with some LGBT's (I know not all are like that). Please, if you are going to use the word bigot, use it correctly!