Does skill in the arts, lose its impressiveness as age progresses?

Asked by: KylePooley
  • This is not to say that at an older age, skill in un-impressive.

Learning a skill from a very early stage, maybe later, homing your skills in order to get mastery or expert standard, does age effect one's opinion on HOW impressive someones skill is?
    I would like to compare the aged expert to that of a child prodigy. There is obviously a very big age gap between the pair and if each met with 'similar' skill, i.e. Piano, is the child more impressive than the adult?
    This is nothing to say that an adults talent should be seen as not skillful or impressive, but I find it an interesting question.
    It is also obvious that there are different levels of impressiveness, but does age effect anything?

• Novelty and impressive are different

As a professional classical composer, I am most impressed by my mentors who are composers typically in their 60's. Many in the general public may be impressed by a 10 year old performing a Brahms piano solo, however, a 10 year old is not capable of comprehending the full emotional depth of a depressed 50 year old Brahms. If an individual audience member or member of the public normally deems a young performer to be more "impressive" than an older more trained and experienced musician, then it is simply an indicator that the particular audience member in question has a propensity to prefer circus acts over true artistry. That is a deficiency of the listener/audience and means they are limited to a childish level of musical appreciation, interpretation and understanding. It also appears to be a blatant deficiency of our current society which seems to be suffering from an overall marked deterioration in music literacy.