Does social media help children and teenagers form stronger friendships?

• It actually does.

Social networking help you maintain friendship no matter how far you are from each other. You can find your long lost friend or childhood friend easily and communicate, share things with them. Also you can know a lot of different people on social network (Facebook, tumblr, twitter, etc.) And communicate with them. You can actually become more socialised.

• Ask me, I'm a teenager.

I am a teenager and use Facebook daily. It helps me keep track of friends and relatives when I'm away for a while (which I am often). Facebook has helped me reconnect with friends I haven't seen in years and also helped me make stronger friendships with the friends I see daily.

• Yes, because social media allows children to interact with a larger peer group and find real friends

In a typical school and activities setting, a child may only see a small group of other children every day. Social media allows them to see a larger group of peers on a regular basis, and get to know them. This has the potential to lead to more meaningful and deep relationships, with peers that are more similar to them. Rather than having to choose the best fit amongst a smaller groups of peers, they can find someone who is a better match as a true best friend.

• Faraway as you can get

I have a friend that lives 3,000 miles away, I think we've become even beret friends now then were where when she lived hear. The way social media works that are bad parts of it but look at the bright side you can always block someone who you think is a bad influence

I'm only 12 years old and think you should hear all sides of the social media before you judge it . ( ;

• Effects true relationships offline

I have had my own experience. I was having to much FB time on my phone and my friend blew off and shouted 'WHY DO YOU SPEND MORE TIME WITH YOUR PHONE THEN WITH ME?!!' we had a hostile face-to-face argument and haven't talked since. I have quit FB because of losing my only true friend.

• Drugs With social media

A survey was done and kids who check their social media daily are five times more likely do use tobacco, three times more likely to overdose on achohol and two times more likely to use marjawona. Also people who check it daily are 66.68 people have admitted to have trouble resting when they couldn't get on it.

Posted by: Np
  • No it cannot

First of all a few people have misunderstood the motion. When they say form a friendship they mean make a new friend online.

Back to the topic, You cannot make friends online for using the internet will eventually become and addiction according to many psychologists. If the computer is taken away drastic measures may be taken.
    It is also unhealthy. Technology affects sleep. Artificial lights releases by electric appliances affect melatonin production and circadian rhythms making it very difficult to sleep restoratively. Also, studies show that more frequent use of computers, phones of other gadgets cause obesity-related illnesses and allergies.

• Social Media Hurts Friendships

For children and teens, social media doesn't form stronger friendships. These social media platforms turn into popularity contests and bullying centers for younger people. Likewise, a person spends more time dealing with people on social media without actually interacting with the same people in real life, which hurts a person's social skills.

• Too Distant

No, social media does not help children and teenagers form stronger friendships. If anything, it's just the opposite. Before the internet, children and teens became friends with people around them. Now, it's possible to become friends with people thousands of miles away, who you will never meet. In most cases, the friendships never go beyond talking on the computer. If anything, social media ruins real life socializing skills. But it's good for antisocial people that aren't interested in getting out there.

• Social Media is Shallow

Social media does not help children and teenagers form stronger friendships because online interactions follow a strange set of rules. Social media reward a strange set of behavior, creating incentives to support popular opinions for retweets, likes, and upvotes, and does not reward to the same extent critical or unique thought. It encourages passive consumption of content like gifs, memes, and image macros, rather than other work, because children can be rewarded as much or more positive stimulus for far less effort. The ease at which people can be ignored online also reduces accountability among friends and results in shallower friendships.

• No - Social Media Distracts Children from Good Friendships with Instant "Recordification" of Momentary Feelings

Rather than spending face-to-face time with each other, many children and teenagers find themselves opinionating and alienating each other across an electronic medium that instantly records every moment of anger, fear, irritation, and impulsivity for all the world to read. Even just the "friending" of Facebook can become an electrobullying weapon in an atmosphere of "untouchable" group gang-up ability. What is done behind a screen is done with less thought, more brazenness, and fewer consequences than the sarcastic remark at the mall that at least requires face-to-face interaction and instantaneous individual and group response. People say and do things over a screen that they'd not ever do in person, and with an electronic record of it, to boot.