Does someone have the right to commit suicide if they want to?

• It is NOT selfish.

Most people who feel that a person does not have the right to kill him/herself think so because of the pain and suffering their death might cause to the people who care about them. In my opinion it is they who are the selfish ones, for two reasons: 1. They might have been able to give more support during the persons crisis, and 2. The one who committed the suicide did so because he or she felt their life was not worth living any longer and had extreme unhappiness. Anyone who can't deal with losing someone because of the pain they might feel and not look at the pain the person who killed him/herself felt doesn't understand what they're saying.
    There is one setting in which I find it is selfish and that is when they have kids who won't have anyone to take care of them.

• I agree that someone has the right to commit suicide if they want to; we are all free individuals with free will, and we should be allowed to be master of our own bodies as long as we do not hurt anyone else but ourselves.

There are many reasons why people might chose to end their own life, and if we truly believe as a society that we are free people with free reign over ourselves and our actions, and that we should be free to do as we please as long as we harm none but ourselves, then we have no moral right to force another human to keep from taking his life.

There are legitimate reasons why a person might wish to do so, primary of which is self-euthanasia in cases of terminal illness, especially with extreme and debilitating pain. These people may wish to die with dignity, having been the master of their own fate, instead of having to suffer the indignity of being hooked up to tubes and wires, confined to a bed, in a haze of morphine. Life is precious, but is not the quality of life just as important, if not more so, than the quantity of life? In the end, if a person is of sound mind, and mentally competent to make such a choice, then we have no moral or ethical ground to stand upon to force them to continue living if they so wish not to.

Posted by: MagicalRodrigo30
  • Selfish? Are you kidding me

Um, yes they do because its our body... And its not "selfish" because its because of those people who "care so much about them" are the ones which make them want to commit suicide -.- you wouldn't know how it feels like to be them so don't judge them unless you have been in the same situation.

• Husband is dead from ALS.

Husband is dead from ALS ( worst disease on this planet) , Dad is dead, kids are grown, financial ruin, addiction, maximum depression, monumental stress, and anxiety, all used up, my time is over. Just let go and it will all be over. Losing house because i do not make enough money (money =peace of mind = happiness) Yes it really is true: you cannot be happy and alive on barely any money. ( how disillusioning. Thank goodness there is cannabis. Yes I am in my mid fifties. I have done what I was put here to do: marry have 3 kids, care for my dying/dead husband, help take care of my parents. Been there, done that. Just please, please let me go now!

• They Have The Right

Death is inevitable. If someone want's to go earlier then that's their choice.
    Why would you want someone to live through misery and pain, when they don't want it? They could always fight through it like a smart person, but if they want to go the easy way out then they can.

• Your life your choice

No one else can be the judge of one's torment. If someone is absolutely miserable and suicidal for a long time(!) I'd rather give them a humane death than that they throw themselves of a building. Why does society force people to live. People don't have a say in getting born, that happens to you. We could at least give them the choice about death. This world isn't exactly all sunshine and rainbows.

• This is merely an intellectual question

All of the reasons for or against a right to commit suicide any other mind besides the one contemplating suicide generates are external evaluations. Since humans have the ability to commit suicide, the salient question concerns the value an individual places on her or his life. Admittedly, we are social animals. We tend to form strong bonds with others. What others think of us, how they interact with us, what we perceive they feel about us may influence our decisions, but ultimately--especially concerning desires or goals that are long standing, each person evaluates her or his own life according to deeply intimate criteria which even attempts to verbalize may fail to capture. These immensely, definitively personal evaluations on one's own life's value, forged over the running total of years and days and minutes and seconds of one's lifetime, eclipse the relatively few--though admittedly often well-meaning--words strangers (the Internet...) or even community members and family can offer.

As the hackneyed expression goes, there are as many reasons people consider suicide as there are people. Suicide is complex because neither are humans empaths (so we don't know what another is feeling), nor do we have the technological sophistication to assess (let alone influence) the innumerable life factors over an individual's lifetime that influence her or his decision to commit suicide. Yet despite these limitations, we presume to be able to decide for another human, whose life we readily admit we are not/cannot be responsible for, that he or she must continue existing. Biased already, individually and culturally, by our own interest in continuing to live, we impose our perspective, backed by the power of the courts and the medical establishment, on others. So much for personal freedom.

Yes, there are exceptions to the freedom-to-decide argument, including the common categories of age (most would agree that minors shouldn't be freely able to commit suicide) and perhaps certain extremes of medical state (if it cannot be determined that an adult understands, consistently, that she or he is asking for self termination, for instance, and no previous medical-legal document specifying what is to happen exists, it might be justifiable, at least temporarily, to prevent suicide). But exceptions should concern the lack of consistent articulation of the desire to die, not an a priori calumniation of mental state codified by an external body. Proscribing suicide is the ultimate affront to the concept of self ownership, and as humans already are able to commit suicide, those who are serious in carrying it out will find ways to do so--ways that sadly are likely to involve terrible suffering in their execution.

• Absolutely my choice

In my life, my father never wanted me, my mother too busy to have me raped at 15, child at 19 cheated on by my daughters father, held hostige at 28 to be shot.. Had to move, been beaten to within a inch of life, lost my job, lost my precious dog this year.. Grandmother died, nephew diagnosed with lukemiar.. I don't have anyone to speak to except my physciatrict and I feel like a fool and he is judging me.. If I say anything to anyone they avoid me like the plague so I'm on my own.. I am applying disability but that's so hard, I'm trying to applying to re study but that's turning out hard.. I think about sucicide at least 10 times a day.. I own four horses and adore them all, and I have my daughter..I'm always being taken advantage of to do stuff.. And probably 50 percent of my day is in tears,and I just want it all to end.. Ive suffered for long enough, with so many things, so much pain.. My relatives expect me to support them with their children but no one supports me with my horses , not even for 5 minutes.. There is no interest.. Everytime I get excited about something, something comes and cut's it down.. Like I was supposed to start riding my horses again, and was so excited cause it helps me be calm and appreciate that I'm lucky to own such amazing creatures.. But then I got kicked in the arm, and have ulnar nerve contusion which means no horses for 6 weeks minimum.. I'm shattered to say the least, and it's continunal over and over again.. If I offer to help people they ignore me... People say look at the good, and I look at the good my daughter and my horses but there is so much sadness, and if Im near the horses when sad, then they get all sad... I don't think its selfish, people who commit suicide do so because they can't stand the pain anymore and just want a break.. I have accidentally ended up in hospital for orderdoes on medication, but it was just cause I wanted to sleep, and don't have night mares and just have rest.. I think people who are to forward about their opinon of suicide should think... Is there someone I know who is struggleing with breaking, is there something I can do to help them, Whithout making them feel like a weak worthless person.. Because for me I have been left to deal with everything on my own.. My families response was they haven't know what to do... They are so busy.. I have provided them with details of my condition and they haven't read.. So why bother???

• We have a right to die

It's logical that a person has the right to do what they want with their life as long as they do not have kids to take care of or someone who is dependent on them. There is no reason to live if a person does not want to be alive

• Forcing people to live against their will is cruel and unusual punishment

The reasons against suicide are either religious, selfish, or economical. Religion: not everyone believes in or likes god. Scared to lose someone? Well, try being nicer to people instead of pushing them away when they need you. "Mental illness"? Nah. Vulnerable market that can be forced into repeatedly paying for therapy and anti-depressants? Yuppers. Think about it: other illnesses rely on quantifiable measurements to indicate their presence or absence.

If people had their right to opt out of the failing system that is our society today, maybe people would be forced to open their eyes and stop taking others for granted.

• It is wrong

This goes out to all of you who are thinking of committing suicide. Life is hard no matter what class you are in yet there will always be someone out there who will "wish to be you". I don't care if anyone here thinks a person has a right to kill him/her self, it doesn't make it right. It's like saying yes to a person who is asking if he has the right to do drugs. You have no right to seriously hurt the people who love you and there are millions out there who are going through harder suffering than you and they fought their way up.

Posted by: cisc
  • Does someone have the right to not be born if they do not want to?

I think not. "Life" itself is something we cannot control. If we do not have the right to choose not to be born, then that means we do not have the right to choose not to live. Continuing from this, it would mean that we do not have the right to commit suicide. Using this logical syllogism, we have proved that one does not have the right to commit suicide.

Posted by: xxx
  • Only In Some Cases

If the person is terminally ill let them go. Otherwise even if the person isn't crazy they are being selfish by leaving behind their friends and family. However, there are cases where suicide may selflessly serve the greater cause of humanity by bringing attention to injustice. For example, the buddhist monks and anti-war activists who famously set themselves on fire during the Vietnamese War. But a person should not rush into such a decision lightly.

• Life is Precious

After watching my Mom and Father in law fight for life and loosing their battle I find it morally wrong to just throw life away. I love this quote and use it when ever I get really sad " Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem." Keep fighting and if you really feel low go to the hospital and look at all the newborns, they give you a wonderful perspective.

• Of course not

So lets say I lose all hope and have no possible way of achieving anything ever again. I'm completely down in a ditch and I surely can't get out, I should still not commit suicide. Why? As humans our purpose isn't entirely to find happiness, love, or some other form of overjoyed feeling that makes us feel of another world. While we experience these feelings we also experience hate, jealousy, melancholy and other forms of negative thoughts. These feelings will all come and go but some might not be able to take such negative emotions and insist on suicide but if you do feel that way and you're reading this, I hope you know the purpose of life it to keep moving forward because once you end your life you'll never be able to experience the beautiful things in life. I hope this might help you change your mind.

• Insane!!

Those who choose to commit suicide are normally in most cases can be helped by therapy and are clearly not in the right state of mind to take their own life. There are some circumstances that could be justified, but if your spouse left you and you are to afraid to deal with reality you just need to calm down and take therapy because that situation can be fixed

• Not at all!

To support the idea that people have a right to suicide completely undermines or negates the entire notion of determinism, well-being and health of those others around you.
    Think of the most important person in your life, their suicide will inevitably have negative consequences upon you and others. To say that people have the right to suicide is almost synonymous with saying that people have the right to harm others via self-harm. Does it make sense to suggest that somebody has the right to induce depression (severe) into another person? I'm asking this, does it make sense to offer people the right to harm others?
    It's worth noting that I am talking of cases whereby people have the choice to commit suicide. A person with severe depression doesn't have a choice, they aren't completely responsible for their actions.

• You are God's Vessel.

The body you have is given by God. You are merely a vessel. An instrument to carry out God's plan. Sure you have a soul, but this body isn't yours. It was given to you, so you have no right to end it your way. Sure you can say that you own your life. But always remember; you weren't the one who brought yourself to this world. So you have no right to drift away from it. Ending it will only cause your family depression, and in some cases financial problems. I'm sorry to have not seen this sooner. There will always be another way to end your suffering. SUICIDE IS A PERMANENT ANSWER TO A TEMPORARY PROBLEM... TO THOSE SAID YES TO THIS QUESTION... I hope you realize what you have just done. The person who asked this question is now dead, and he is all over the news! The link to this question is given by the news article.

• NO NO NO

No. We don't have rights to commit suicide. We should live for our parents. Our mother birthed us with world's highest pain. We should think about that. We should not make her unhappy by ending our life. Please do not take the decision like that. Before commit suicide just think who does not have problems ?

• Life is cheap.

See a therapist instead.

Anonymous says2013-05-09T09:37:54.540
I hate this post! Because of this my friend committed suicide. :"|
Anonymous says2013-05-10T12:58:46.297
I'm too late to vote No... RIP
Anonymous says2013-05-21T11:14:25.980
To those who are looking for answers from this link, please don't do it.
Anonymous says2013-06-23T15:48:32.210
Please be strong :/
StanSmith says2014-07-11T01:22:55.417
I think as a society we need to allow people to choose if they want to be here or not. If they want to stay great! If they don't let them off themselves and allow someone else who wants to be here to remain. I believe If we continue to medicate/house mentally ill people, we will all be miserable in the end. Good genetics is the key to survival of our species or any species. Helping someone suffer isn't really helping our society. These people aren't helping our society sustain its self. We need people with good genetics, people who are willing to work. We don't need people who mope around all day sucking taxpayer money, doing nothing in return. We have 7 billion people on this planet... Who cares if a few useless people go missing? We need more capitalists not mentally ill people. Merica'