Does teacher tenure ensure higher quality and more capable educators in schools?

• Yes, it does.

I do think that teacher tenure ensures higher quality and more capable educators in schools. The reason for this is because a teacher tenure has to be earned first of all. Secondly, it gives them something to strive for. And, thirdly, when a teacher is tenured, they have a very high quality of life. This makes them more productive.

• Teacher tenure does ensure higher quality and more capable educators in schools.

Teacher tenure does ensure higher quality and more capable educators in schools. The ability to gain tenure will make teachers work hard and diligently to get that tenure. Tenure is a valuable program that guarantees job security, so teachers will strive to do a good job in their position until they achieve tenure.

• No It Doesn't

I do not believe teacher tenure ensures higher quality and more capable educators in schools. If anything, I think it has caused a lot of problems within school systems and academia. I think tenure should go away. A teacher shouldn't be guaranteed their position based on time in the field, they should have to fulfill the same requirements year in and year out.

• Tenure leads to laziness

In my experience, tenure or any other sort of job protection leads to a decrease in performance. While having to constantly look over your shoulder in fear of losing your job isn't the answer, neither is near infalibility in the work place. This applies to professors who stop trying to educate once they get tenure, officers who break the law because they never face any more punishment than a paid vacation even for killing an innocent person, or any other protected individual. Tenure is designed to reward the hard work and dedication of professors. It is not intended to be a goal you reach after a certain amount of time to where nothing you do short of having sex with your students can get you removed. Professors shouldn't need tenure if there is no fear of them losing their job for nonsensical reasons or losing out on their retirement.