Does texting have adverse effects on a person's ability to communicate in other manners?

• Read the "No's" column

I recently deactivated my Facebook account because I was so tired of reading people's ridiculous posts. I have educated friends, but some of the things they posted just did not make since. They will write anything to make them seem interesting or hip and this really bothers me.

I am a college student, who is working on my Bachelors in Education, and I want my future students to understand how important it is to write correct English. Please!

I look at the "No's" column, and I am embarrassed that our children believe it is okay to just butcher the English language.

• As much as I hate to say it....

Every reply in the "no" column is written by a teen, like me, or younger. And as much as you say that you personally can separate when and when not to use text talk, some people can't, and end up ruining their grades by using slang, or abbreviations, when they shouldn't. And though some of us who don't text "Beat around the bush", it's far better than not being able to understand wht th h33l wer syin. So there.

• Yes it does affect the ability to communicate in other manners

When a person is texting he/she will use acronyms such as lol, btw or irl. Every time I text one of my friends they will always use acronyms and I hate that because it's stupid. It's stupid because someone might not know what it means, people like your parents, teachers, and or boss. They will not know what it means so if you contact them this way, they may think that you are need to go back to school and learn. There is also the auto correct on phones which may lead to you sending something you never wanted to tell that person.

• Texting is great

Texting is good because you can communicate with friends. Also you can make calls to people all over. Another reason why texting is good is you can ask your friends for help on something if you cant ask them in school. This way if you cant remember what your homework is you can text a friend :)

• I see it every day in the classroom.

I teach third grade and my students show evidence of writing in "text" when we are doing formal writing in the classroom. They write b4 instead of before, lol, etc. I would say that about a quarter of my students do this. I try to explain to them that this is not proper English but when they see it around them EVERYWHERE it is a difficult thing to do.

• The brain does not know what to do with texting.

Shorthand symbol like secret code relays the whole word. Your brain has been trained to receive this kind of communications for years. It is a retrievable and accepted standard. It works for all languages regardless of age, gender. Limits ability to hold a job which requires communication skills and all levels.

Texting is anti-social behavior, it is boring,rude

• Texting Damages Brain Cells

Tests have proven that out of people who text, half of them send fifty texts a day, while one-third send one hundred plus texts a day. High schools have banned texting during school except during lunch. So people will text to the person who is sitting next to them. Young people have given up face-to-face conversations to text several people at a time.

• Texting is emotionless, clipped and superficial and lacks diction, tone and depth

Excessive text messaging does negatively effect an individual's ability to effectively communicate face to face.

When you talk to someone in person, your conversation is made up of many things including non-verbal cues. These non-verbal cues are vitally important to your dialogue and when you speak to someone in person, your non-verbal cues actually have more effect on the conversation than the words themselves. This includes facial expressions, posture, clothing, body position, eye-contact and gestures. When you communicate via text, these important non-verbal cues do not exist and you are left with trite, meaningless, clipped grammar-less tweets that quite often have no depth or substance whatsoever.

We are often not as dumb as our texts make us sound. When people are abbreviating what they write, so much of the time, they lose the ability to form and phrase coherent sentences in real life. If you spend your entire day texting little messages instead of creating actual sentences with your brain and mouth, how can you expect to be an effective communicator? Quite texting and start having real and meaningful dialogue! It is obnoxious when someone I am speaking with is constantly sending and receiving texts mid-conversation. Like wouldn't that person rather have a meaningful face to face discussion than to send and receive little clipped written messages? Effective communication has depth, nuances, ebb and flow, emotion and tone. Text messaging lacks all of these characteristics. Get your face away from that screen and start having healthy effective conversations.

• Lack of context...

The inability to knows someone else's situation, thus causing a misunderstanding; the inability to understand to and/or inflection in the other's message, leading to an inability to recognize sarcasm, desire, regret, excitement, sorrow or happiness. Humans aren't necessarily used to communicating real-time without reading the face, hearing the voice or sensing the dynamic of the conversation. Pretty obvious and easy answer, really.

• Students who use texting frequently extend it to their formal writing either consciously or unconsciously.

As a lecturer of English Language in a polytechnic for 10 years now I have had difficulties understanding what such students often want to say. I believe texting is okay for informal writing. I think colleague English teachers, especially those in Africa, will go with my accession and even students too.

• Students are smart enough to understand the differences between text language and regular english.

It's funny how some people believe that texting is REALLY harmful. no, it's not harmful at all. Matter of fact, it can help with your spelling if you type on word. Yes, some people do like to use IM such as lol, jk, rofl, ect. But how can some think that students are stupid enough to get IM mixed in with their typical english. I text a lot and as a matter of fact, I'm a great speller. For example, I will spell the longest word in the dictionary... ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM. look, I'm not stupid, it doesn't interfear with anything.

• I strongly disagree that texting will have adverse effects on a person's ability to communicate in other manners.

Texting requires a lot of vocabulary and grammar. One can be good in speaking but that doesn't mean that they will be good in texting. However, if you are good in texting then--compared to the first case--you will be better in speaking. Texting will sharpen your brains as you have to think and text. I feel that texting is a superior way of communication because we have all the facts and truths.

In a verbal speech, anyone can change the statement but in text, no one can. People are very careful in texting and yes that could also help people to be responsible and act properly.

Posted by: MoreyCIaw
  • No

Basically, people can adapt and change so they talk in different contexts. No, children at school DO NOT talk in 'text-speak' in essays. If they do, they know full well that they have. The people who are arguing that children cannot spell, or communicate effectively, are completely wrong. In fact, people who text are better at being concise and clear, whereas, people who do not text 'beat around the nush' rather than say what they mean. Surely this is better than taking ages to say what you want? I'm 15 and I can write in a formal manner, with correct spellings and I can communicate in other manners; as I have demonstrated.

• We can

People are capable of seperating how they use acronyms and words in a text and how they speak to their friends. Also, texts are great for people with disabilities because they can talk to other people without being judged. If you are a busy person and don't have much time for social events, you can send a text to let friends know you care.

• Kids Can Communicate Just Fine

I am in the 7th grade and everyone in my class has a cell phone, including me. We text and use Facebook, e-mail, Twitter and we can all manage to have a mature conversation together. We also have relationships in person. Therefor, we are all very social in person AND over texting, e-mailing, Facebook, Twitter.

• no

no

• No

I spell really well and speak good English, and I text frequently. Students are not stupid enough to mix text speak with spoken english. I can prove this by spelling the actual longest word in the english dictionary, which is not antidisestablishmentarianism, but rather PNEUMONOMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS. Because I can spell well and speak well, and I text, it completely disproves the view that texting has adverse effects on other forms of communication.

• No.

In fact for people who are socially awkward, it can be quite helpful. It is just another, quicker form of communication that does not disturb people as much when they are in the middle of something. It can also save information given to you during the conversation which can be extremely helpful.

• No, because people are free to text as they speak, for good or for ill, and have time to think before hitting the send button.

Texting allows people to think before they hit the send button. Anyone who texts can check grammar or spelling, before they hit the send button. This allows people to be more thoughtful, and may even make it easier for them to communicate in other manners, because they may actually get used to thinking before they speak.

Posted by: B0rdKool
  • Text speak is kept to texts.

I have never witnessed people speaking like they do on texts, face to face. When was the last time you heard someone say 'LOL', or use an abbreviation like 'OMW' (on my way). The only reason we speak like we do on texts is because texts are less formal and we feel pressured to type them quickly.

Anonymous says2013-05-03T14:09:06.847
Yes it does it disguises the way people actually speak it stops people from speaking to one an other.