• Yes it does.

Texting language does affect kids today. All of the shorthand that you use when texting makes it harder for kids now a days to be able to spell correclty. That is also compounded by the fact that there is auto correct, which means even if they spell something wrong, it will be fixed automatically.

• OMG Textorz is LULZ

Yes. The shortening of words and phrases was hinted at in the book 1984. "Quickspeak" or "double speak" or the like, as it was illustrated, is the consequence of our industrial society moving ever faster and pushing harder. Losing eloquence in speech is a norm especially in the era of texting.

• Yes, it teaches bad usage

Spelling and grammar improve with practice, at least if
    children practice properly. Unfortunately, children often use slang, bad
    grammar and strange abbreviations when they text. They are trying to stay under
    the 140 character limit, so they can cram everything they want to say into a
    single message. Possibly this teaches them to organize their ideas and speak
    concisely. It certainly teaches them to use bad grammar.

• Yes, texting decreases spelling ability.

Texting language is typically truncated, or more of a shorthand or short-speak. Because of this, young people are losing the ability to spell properly. Writing out full words by hand is done in school, but not reinforced in a child's spare time. They're really not learning proper ways to communicate because of texting.

• Texting Confuses Children

When children are young and attempting to learn to write and spell, texting language can cause a whole plethora of problems. While it may be convenient to shorten words and misspell them for texting purposes, it is best to make sure that young learners are not subjected to these practices.

• Texting has bas consequences

Texting in itself is not bad. However, when the main form of communication that kids see is through text speak, then it has bad consequences for their reading comprehension and writing ability. Texting is fine as long as it is paired with appropriate written communication that will benefit them when they get older.

• Can Lead to Misspelling Normal English

Texting abbreviations like "BFF" and "OMG" will naturally filter into the normal language teenagers use daily. Eventually, they will learn to misspell normal words like use "u" for the pronoun "you" and other prevalent examples. Texting language does affect children in that their attention spans may also get shorter because they are used to quicker means of communication.

• Texting Language Affect Children

Texting language does not affect children. I have personal testimony to support this opinion. I am currently serving as a school psychologist in a public school setting. As part of my job, I assess students' academic and intellectual abilities to make decisions regarding their education and educational services. One of the standardized academic achievement measures I use utilizes a prompt which asks students to rewrite a sentence if they use texting language, such as "lol" or "btw." After giving this assessment over 200 times in the last five years, I have never had to use this prompt. Students know the difference between proper English and texting language, and demonstrate this to me on a constant basis.