Does the Confederate flag resemble freedom of the states (yes) or racism (no)?

Asked by: bettabreeder
  • This is a ridiculous question, and here's why:

By the logic that a Flag should be hidden or unused because under it's existence there stood atrocity, crime or human rights violations...Then we should also take down the current American Flag because under Old Glory we have had the Oppression of Women in the form of sexism. So one could logically say that we should abolish our current flag and not use it because it resembles sexism.

This is a retarded argument, it's a flag...Get over it. If looking at something incites a response then it is because YOU have a preconceived idea concerning what it is you're looking at. Nothing can force you to look at something a certain way, the last time I checked, no one held guns to people's head and forced them to react hatefully towards a flag. If you choose to hate it then hate it as loud or quiet as you want... It's your right, but inciting an argument over it is stupid.

• We have to think about this..

Sure the confederate flag resembles racism, but we have to ask ourselves. Is racism bad? I mean, I think that America can admit to itself that we just hate Canadians. We should stop being ashamed. It's time to stop acting tolerant towards those maple syrup eating, tim hortons building snow people.

• Yes for freedom NO for racism

The confederate flag resembles freedom because the CSA wanted a nation as our founding father said it will be. The war had Nothing to do with Slavery but the south was being taxed higher then the North so war started. Lincoln wanted to save the Union as most people thought we didn't need war but the confederacy. Native Americans, Slaves, Mexicans and freedmen of color all died under the confederate flag and Dixieland.

• Heritage not hate

People must be more involved about the war it only symbolizes the SOUTH and nothing more such as the American flag was carried by the North during the war . The history books have been altered so much that generations are missing the truth about Abe Lincoln and the slaves,for god sakes Lincoln had slaves and several of the Generals of the North hated blacks it has NOTHING to do with the flag what so ever

• States Rights WERE the only safeguard against tyranny.

When states lost their independence, individuals lost their freedom. The north lost, in the war between the states, just as the South did. Everyone alive today is a victim of the large, overbearing federal gov, thanks to Lincoln and the war. The Confederacy fought to keep the Constitution, which acknowledged that a state entered the union freely and could leave the union freely, in tact. Until states, once again, become sovereign, the central gov will continue to grow and abuse.

• Honoring our Heritage

The Confederate flag honors our ancestors who answered the call of their states to defend the state, their homes and families from the invading forces. That sought to deprive them of the independence from a union that they did not wish to be part of. The flying of the Confederate flag today reminds of their sacrifice and honor for their state.

• Honoring our Heritage

• The war was over the Bill of Rights, more specifically if the 10th amendment is real or not.

The war was over the Bill of Rights, more specifically if the 10th amendment is real or not. If in fact, the 10th amendment is not real; none of our civil rights are real. Freedom is not free, it must be defended, the men and women in gray (many of them black) defended freedom. Tyranny is the use of force to impose ones will on another.....The South never invaded someone else's country.

• It does not, by its purpose, represent racism

The confederate flag was hijacked by racists, as has the ancient swastika. Although I would not fly a confederate flag or swastika, I do not think that these symbols were created to represent hatred or racial supremacy. Even if they did, I strongly support freedom of expression....And I'm not even white or from the United States

• Today, it's racism.

It is irrelevant what the flag of the Confederacy ORIGINALLY meant. This is not 1860, when secession began. While slavery was not the only causative agent of the American Civil War, it was certainly a major component.

In today's society, the confederate flag has come to represent slavery and racism. In that way, it is very like the swastika. The swastika is the world's oldest known symbol, and originally meant good fortune, life, power, and strength. It was used in cultures around the world for thousands of years- but the co-opting of the symbol by the Nazis in World War II means that today that symbol is associated with the Nazi Party.

• Interesting question posed

The confederate flag represents the desire of states to succeed from the Union because of their belief in the institution of slavery. Its easy to say that slavery is a result a racism. And of course this is many times the case. However, it is just as likely that racism is a needed justification for slavery. It is difficult to mentally justify subjugating an entire race of people without first convincing yourself that they are less than human.

• Interesting question posed

• Well, ask that question to a black person!

We are in the year 2014. There is no reason why a person should still wave that flag, especially after all of the hardships our country went through due to racism. We need to move forward not backwards, and, say what you want to make it sound like its just a southern thing, or a way of life is ridiculous. Think about this, If you were black how would you feel about that flag? Keep in mind you would probably have black grandparents that actually lived during the Civil Rights Movement. That is something to really think about. So why wave a flag that the k.K.K. And other hate groups out there use? WHY!?!? Lol

• Do we not have an American flag

What state are the "States" in? A unified state or seperate? Our flag (as it is now) is suppose to represent unity. How can a flag which singles out someone or something represent unity. Plus when I think of South America, Mexico and other countries seem to come to mind. The U.S is the U.S. there is no such thing as the "South United States." But there are states south in the united states. This flag may have been meant to represent the southern states but now its just a representation of the past, which includes slavery

• Its a war flag. Learn your history. Your narrow minded up bring and opinion doesnt change the historical facts.

The only state it did/does represent is the state of war. It was never anything more or less to any state. It did not represent the confederate states except in war. I am white and it offends me that people are not flying it for the reason it was created. Now if you agree its a war flag and support its flying than that falls under terrist because your trying to insight war in my country.

• It stands for rebellion

Just for a minute lets forget about why the south left the union. Whether it was over slavery or states right, what ever. I believe the Confederate flag represents being willing to take a stand for what you believe in, especially when it means standing against an oppressor. Now don't misunderstand me, I don't think that the union was being oppressive, but the south was willing to stand for what they believed, whether they were right or wrong. This is just my opinion. Just for the record I live in Utah so I don't have any southern pride or any bias like that going on.

• The Confederate Flag is primarily used to evoke fear.

Like the Swastika during Nazi Germany, the confederate flag is used to cause fear in those who are White non-Christians and in People of Color. It is also a passive aggressive way for Southerners to say that they didn't loose their identity just because they lost the war. In other words, "I am still a rebel." I believe the flag itself needs to go because sadly, millions of southern children are growing up believing it represents something that it is not, and as adults will also be suspicious at the least of anyone who is not like them.

kbub says2014-01-28T18:05:28.740
I don't get it. What does yes mean?