Does the current state of democracy in the Western World sacrifice individual freedom for the sake of rights?

Asked by: patriwo
  • I think the question should be worded differently.

It should say "Does the current state of democracy in the Western World sacrifice individual freedom for the sake of laws?".
    The answer would be yes, it does.

I had a friend who just asked his girlfriend to get married. The two fiances went to the park with a bottle of champagne and a basket of sandwiches, chips, etc (you know, typical picnic).
    They were sitting, reminiscing how they met and talking about their relationship, slowly (I put emphasis on the word slowly) drinking their glass of champagne when a police officer came and threatened to arrest them if they didn't leave immediately.
    Now, imagine being in a park, doing nothing morally wrong : you're just sitting there, drinking a glass of champagne with your fiance (with obviously no intention of getting drunk and beating up children or whatever) and a cop comes by threatening to arrest you if you don't leave.
    Well, that ruins a fiance picnic quickly. Some may say "Oh but they were breaking a law!" Sure, but morally speaking, they did nothing wrong. If we truly lived in a world of rights and individual freedom, a cop would have evaluated this case with a grain of salt.