Does the death penalty violate the 8th amendment?

• The death penalty violates the 8th amendment.

It violates the 8th amendment because it is a cruel and unusual punishment. It is cruel to kill someone no matter how horrible the crime. It is showing people that if you do something the same will be done to you, it is an eye for an eye. I disagree with that type of justice completely.

• The Death Penalty is Unconstitutional

The death penalty is unconstitutional. Its in obvious violation of the 8th Amendment. Why go out of your way to kill someone when society has other options of punishment? The death penalty does not solve the crime, fix the problems that were caused by the crime, or teach anyone a lesson. It is just killing for the sake of killing. The federal government needs to work with state and put a stop to this as soon as possible.

• A clear violation of the 8th amendment

Whenever I try to formulate my opinions about the constitution, I rarely try to understand what Supreme Court has ruled for cases arguing against the 8th amendment because in most cases the Supreme Court likes to add a modern twist to it. I believe that when our founding fathers came together to create the Bill of Rights, they clearly viewed this as one that should eliminate death as a penalty. Not only is death cruel, in most cases it can be viewed as unusual. Let us consider that this is the only crime that we punish those with the same crime that they committed. This just seems barbaric. We need to progress our society by find better was to rehabilitate people or to keep out those that cannot be allowed back into our society. Death is the end and so should be using it as a way to punish.

• Yes, it is cruel and unusual

The death penalty is a violation of the eighth amendment because it ends in the death of the accused. We should never kill someone as punishment for their crimes, instead they should get a fair trial and be subject to other forms of justice, I don't believe in the death penalty.

• It is an inhumane act.

Clear violation of the 8th and 14th Amendment. It is cruel to punish by death, in the same way they believe the act of killing was cruel in the reasoning that this punishment was chosen for the accused. Punishment by death is not the way, so many innocent people are executed before they are able to prove their innocence. Some are not able to ever prove their innocence because of the way the appeal system is set up. Those who aren't able to afford proper legal representation are appointed an attorney that probably doesn't take their case seriously. An attorney that works with so many cases because the courts pile them on their desk. How can one person completely concentrate on more than 5 to 10 cases at a time? They're getting 50 plus cases and told to handle them. These cases are handled carelessly, leaving those who deserve proper representation with a person(s) that are not connected to the case, who doesn't show any interest in their well being. Adding to that, these attorneys work closely with the DA's and courts who are all out to pretty much make sure the accused never see their freedom. It's all a set up. Sadly this will continue to go on, as it has for many years.

• Of course it does!!!

Death penalty breaks the 8th amendment because being killed is a type of torture. The 8th amendment states that no one should be able you torture you in anyway. I'd rather be in jail for the rest of my life than be killed! Sometimes, the people who die are innocent!

• Of course it does!!!

• I believe it does violate the 8th amendment

The death penalty is not a polarizing issue here i will present evidence why it does violate the eighth amendment. People can’t be bad forever, if you give them the chance to change, they might change for the better. Children under 18 are still not adults, and yet are too young to die. This is why the death penalty is wrong.

• Simply violates the 8th amendment

Government doesn't have the right as stated in the amendment to punish someone. It would violate a promise stated in the bill of rights. The person should be punished but in which they suffer learning a lesson than just getting their sin rid of as soon as possible. Perhaps life with out parole is a great example.

• It's stupid to kill.

To kill if you get nothing out from it. Killing is bad but the U.S. Decides to kill those who have killed others for killing. Eye for an Eye isn't even a good reason. Why kill if that's not considered a 'cruel punishment'. It's more than cruel. What if that person has family!? Children will wonder why their family member is gone!

• No it doesn't

If it was such a violation of the 8th amendment we wouldn't of never had the electric chair or death row in general. It would have been noticed way before, but now it's all of a sudden a big issue, what makes all these years so different. That's all I have to say.

• No it doesn't

• No it doesn't.

Well, take it into your own terms. Someone killed, kidnapped, or raped you, or your family. You would probably want them to be put to death, because killing in vain is wrong. But, as a punishment is completely necessary because it will send a message into the community stating that it is wrong, and if you do this, it will come with severe punishment, and lead to a result of lower crime rate.

• No it does not.

Death Penalty is just one of the types of punishments. If you kill a lot of people then you deserve to die yourself. The 8th amendment states that a cruel and unusual punishment should not be required. But, the death penalty is neither of these, it is quick and meaningful penalty.

• Absolutely positively not!

No, it does not violate the 8th amendment at all. The death penalty is not cruel or unusual. It is a quick death. I may sometimes be painful, but so is the loss of a loved one to a cold-blooded killer. And cold-blooded killers are the only ones who get the death penalty.

• No, no violation spotted.

Killing humanely, there is no cruelty in here at all. The the fifth amendment states that it is only unconstitutional if your are put to death without the due process of law. And it isn't "racist" either. There are more white people who are put to death than any other race in the U.S.

• Of Course Not!!!

One of my friends was shot and killed in Memphis execution style on his knees by two teenagers even after he gave them everything including an his iPad, iPhone, and his wallet. This guy had a wife and two babies. The two teens are being held in jail until put on trial. Now I believe in an eye for an eye and I don't think only his family should have to suffer.

• Death for wrongdoing

I do not think in any way that it is unconstitutional to give someone the death penalty for a sick and heinous crime. People like child molesters and spouse abusers....The "scum of the earth" in my opinion should be killed. I'd rather see them tortured but that's me. Those people need to have a better repercussion for their actions than just a jail cell and free meals and tv. It drives me insane.

• It isn't unconstitutional

If someone does something harmful to another on purpose they should be punished. It just so happens the most efficient way is the death penalty. If a person has the nerves, is evil, and/or crazy enough to kill someone they should be sentenced the same fate as it will make it fair. When someone is sentenced to death it isn't in a gruesome way, it happens fast. The electric chair may have seemed like a terrible thing, but now there are injections (which are being used instead). In my opinion it really isn't that unconstitutional. Btw this is coming from a 15 year old.

• Death is Natural

As soon as someone is found guilty, then they are officially guilty. They were found guilty beyond any reasonable doubt. Now say someone has murdered several people. Ending their life is karma. If he/she kills so many people, then that person deserves nothing less than death. End their life an make an example out of them. Show that if someone is dares murder a family, then they best e prepared to go through the same horror.