Does the fact that the bible advocates stoning cast doubt on the morality of Christianity and Judaism?

Asked by: kman100
  • It certainly does

Any religion that bases its beliefs on a text that advocates violent acts such as stoning, slavery and rape should be called into question.

The bible clearly states that people should be stoned for:
    Lying about their virginity (Deuteronomy 22: 13-21)
    Worshiping other gods (Deuteronomy 17: 2-5)
    Having sex with someone else while engaged (Deuteronomy 22: 23-24)
    For being a ... Witch (Leviticus 20: 27)

• I think it is fairly obvious

People may say that this is only an old testament teaching either god's laws are eternal or they are not, thus if they are not god must not be all knowing and all wise so why should we listen to him. Also people may say Jesus offers a better moral frame work to follow perhaps then you should read Luke 19:11-27; Jesus says "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me." In conclusion we should definitely question the morality purposed by Christianity and Judaism

Posted by: hect
  • Not Moral: The Only Way

You have to understand that its extremely expensive for someone to be kept in prison. Even today it costs around 30 000 dollars USD for some to be kept in prison. You have to understand that old testament nomads. Just didn't have the resource's to do that, being in prison was a luxury for the rich, like Joseph in Egypt.

• Yes Of Course

2 Timothy 3:16, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

People can't deny the old testament. It's a double standard. All the scriptures are supposedly written by god and you have to believe everything in the bible if you're a true Christian. You can't just cherry pick the nice parts. That being said the allowance of stoning shows just how immoral the bible is. It condones plenty of other heinous acts as well.

• Yes , and it's not just stoning.

The Bible, Old and New Testaments, condone atrocities. Both Testaments condone slavery, murder of unbelievers, misogyny, and intolerance. Thankfully, modern morality is a direct objection of Biblical morality. We don't force women to marry their rapists, we don't kill children for teasing old men, and we don't kill people for wearing blended fabrics. The Bible is the last place to look for morality.

• Yes, but not always.

I think the majority of the bible is factually wrong and morally wrong. However, except this one thing, no matter how long I live I will always remember a quote I heard from the bible. ...And it goes

1 Corinthians 13
    If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.

2 If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.

3-7 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

I'm an atheist, but I live by this quote.

• Lets be honest

If you think that the bible is morally correct consider the fact that god has killed or had more people killed than Lucifer the fallen angel. Stoned, drowned, burned, eaten by lions, destroyed by the invincible armies blessed and told by god to wipe out nations. Sure it had a few good points in it like no stealing and listen to your parents but when one of the commandments is not to kill but god does it anyway its hypocrisy and morally misguided. If we are created in his image then maybe he needs to shape up, and come out with some updates with his scripture before I listen to that hocus. The bible was translated from ancient texts in dead languages then priests and monarchs changed and added things to it to spread fear and control the masses, I don't see how anyone could follow that "holy book" especially since the people who preach it are tax evading frauds with a bit of charisma. When you "offer" money to god the only people who get it are the people making you miss your football game on Sunday.

• You are mistaken.

The Old Testament is the Old Law, and when Jesus Christ came, he fulfilled the Old Law and ushered in the New Law. Therefore, Christians must obey the New Law, not the Old. All of kman100's excerpts came from the Old Testament and were written by Moses, not God nor his son Jesus Christ. Therefore, the only evidence you can use against Christianity must be found in the New Testament, the New law. That's my understanding.

• Stoning is more humane then crucifixion.

In Deuteronomy 13 god says if a prophet comes and does great wonders, and say you Jews need to worship someone else now. (Jesus) do not head the words of that prophet. It is a test to see if you love god with all your heart and soul. And to stone that prophet to death. If jesus was actually stoned like god said to, he wouldn't have suffered as much. So in the situation of Jesus stoning would have been mercy.

• The Law of Christ forbids it

John 8:3-11
    3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
    But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
    9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
    11 “No one, sir,” she said.
    “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

While I do not now what Judaism has to say, but the “Law of Moses” presented exceeds God’s basic tenements (The Ten Commandments). It is contradicting, since stoning = beating/death, which is a sin itself. Remember that Moses is a man with sin. Jesus said: “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” If Moses, the very qualifier of this the tolerance of stoning, were in this crowd, he would be held as a sinner; an equal to all of those amongst the crowd before the Son of God.
    Since the Bible’s law is spoken out of the word of Christ, not a man, the Bible, which is the word of Christ, does not advocate stoning because Christ himself does not advocate stoning.

• Thousands of Years Ago

That was thousands of years ago. If you said what people of a religion wrote thousands of years ago is what they all believe now, then you are kidding yourself. If you agree with the above statement, then you probably should also think that all people are murderers because some of us killed each other thousands of years ago.

• Greatly flawed question

The question demonstrates great ignorance of the Bible. Stoning one to the death was a form of capital punishment--who is to say which form of capital punishment is violent or not violent--allowed upon those found guilty of violating the laws of Moses. The same laws were done away with for another covenant. Jesus spared an adulteress from the same punishment, and in so doing pointing to the higher law of grace.

Quoting texts from the Bible is not requisite to understanding the