Does the freedom of speech mean the freedom to insult?

• Its the freedom of speech NO argument

While not absolute, freedom of speech does in fact include the right to say Things which you may not like or even feel insulted by. While it is not good manners to insult somebody, deliberate or not, it does not give you the right to gag/censor others just because you dont like what they have to say. Especially interesting is the way the "ínsult" argument has been used to stifle criticism of religion and politics. When Muslim countries refuse to introduce equality Laws or just womens rights bills they ALWAYS use the same argument "its unislamic" and "its offensive". Its a serious impediment and Tool of power. So I think for a society to stay healthy and progress, we must have open and honest debates. "feeling insulted" however is very subjective thing. This is important. Some catholics take offence of the way their Church is portrayed while other Catholics are more laid back. Luckily there are laws to protect against racist/discriminative/homophobic and defamation/libel speech. So while you may say something racist, you may also be held accountable by law. I support that. Speak but be responsible as per existing laws. Dont accuse people without actual proof. Otherwise we might as well advocate murder is ok because hey the murderer felt insulted. Using insult as an argument to stifle free speech is a dangerous proposition.

• Yes, of course.

And people get to insult back, too. It's a two way street. You can insult me, I can insult you, and your grandma can cuss at her cat. Freedom of speech is not free unless we are free to misuse it as well. It is far better than the alternative.

• "Freedom of Speech" A wrong-used right for excuse to insult others

Yes,freedom of speech is a right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint ,but in a respectful and good manners way. Not in a rude offend insult intention way,be like "i disagree (reasons)" instead of "f*ck you (no reasons but excuse)". People have been violated this right and it has to be stop because it give no benefits to anyone beside troubles, also making people confuse what freedom of speech is suppose to be. It is truly unnecessary,immature yet stupid to offend people intentionally and then be like "you can't do anything,its freedom of speech". STOP THIS

• Well yes, but

Yes if we mean that freedom is being able to whatever i want then sure, it would include the freedom to insult. However, should a society allow that level of freedom? I think we can generally come to a consensus that insults does not equal to criticism. It's the latter that a society needs. While u may not feel offended by snide remarks made by others, an entire society isn't just about you. It's about the whole. And no effort must be spared in ensuring the peace and harmony in a society. These things are not free, they have to be worked for.

• Life is too short not to speak your mind

I'm an activist and I have participated in demonstrations like the occupation of the Precinct in Minneapolis. If I wasn't able to speak my mind, why would I have gone there? Protesting is a part of the democratic process and so is insulting someone, unfortunately. Politics can get ugly. Just deal with it.

• We must learn not to react to what others say to us, and to listen instead.

The problem here is with people's egos being hurt when they are on the receiving end, and that insulters use covert language to make a point which often turns out to be true.

If in all our verbal exchanges we were able to point things out knowing that we weren't hurting anybody's feelings, life would be so much easier. Unfortunately, the fear of causing offence prevents certain topics from being discussed rationally. An obvious example of this is religion. Getting to the truth of anything should not have any obstacles.

• Its the freedom of speech no argument.

Even though its not right to insult and you shouldn't do it and there are other things you shouldn't do with it but there is nothing saying you can't because . You know why? Because like the freedom says it's you right to say what ever you want in any way shape or form no getting around it. There is no debate here. It's its sad that people can't realize that and say "hey it's there right, I may not like it but they can say it." people get overly offended and think that people shouldn't say certain stuff and I'm a person that doesn't care what people regardless of how I feel about it yes some times I get upset but I don't act upon it because they have the right to say what they want. Wrong or right there is no debate people can insult stop arguing.

• I pity you if you agree

You're kidding right? It does not give you the right to intentionally insult another person. Free speech is limited because you can say whatever it is that you would like to say as long as it DOES NOT IMPOSE ON ANOTHER PERSONS RIGHTS OR SLANDER OR LIBEL ANOTHER PERSON!. Free speech does not give you the right to copy the work of other people. It also does not give you the right to plan a crime (that is conspiracy) or to commit treason. It does not give you the right to make threats of illegal acts. It does not give the right to intentionally cause harm to another individual or cause panic (you can't shout "bomb" in the subway). It does not give the right to interfere with the normal workings of government and industry (for example, you can't walk into the DMV and start screaming political slogans; you also can't shout down your teacher in school.)

• Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom to insult

The intellectually and morally challenged use insults to voice an opinion! Wholesome and constructive opinions are expressed with a means to reason through the process of thought! Reasoning through opinions allows the probability that you are wrong and willing to be corrected! Insults are the tool of nutjobs from all sides of any political divide!

• Free speech within reason.

Leaving decency to hide under free speech cover is destructive to say the least! The Supreme Court thinks that porn falls under first amendment? Really! The notion of engaging oneself in an immoral act that is rejected universally and label it as free speech is simply monstrous. We are going to a dark cold future riding the free speech wagon.

• Actually, no.

Freedom to insult is not clustered by the freedom of speech. Voicing out your opinions and insulting are two entirely different things. Insulting something is limited to your conscience. People will insult others, they will be insulted but all of that is the cost we pay for having the right to speak. You cannot entirely depend on the freedom of speech to insult someone and to back you up no matter how right you are.

• If you think it's ok to insult people...Do it to their face....

Freedom of speech addressed the laws before the Constitution where you could be arrested for even questioning an official of the land. Has nothing to do with impolite asshats who think they can talk smack about others and claim it's there rights as an American. Get an education people. Don't even get me started on the 2nd Amendment.

• Freedom of responsible speach

I was taught that freedom of speech meant the freedom to express alternate viewpoints on the solutions to common problems - in the service of searching for a better life for everyone. Today, it seems that idea is second place to freedom of expressing personal degradation, insults, fowl language and has no intent to communicate ideas to unite and improve conditions in society.

• Well yes, but

• The government's job is to protect its countrymen, which means no, Freedom of Speech doesn't mean freedom to insult.

Sure, you could swear while stating an opinion. But you don't go against another person. When the government takes the lead, it means they're supposed to take good care of its people, and that includes a proper relationship between each individual. Fights start with expressions, and outspoken insults or rude behavior and such. I do believe that when the government said you can go ahead and speak out your opinion, it didn't mean you can go ahead and badmouth someone. As long as it is constructive, go ahead. If it's to hurt, then shut up. Greg Giroux did say Freedom of Speech is "the right to express facts and opinions subject only to reasonable limitations ".

• Not always, since it could offend other freedoms.

One's freedom ends where another's freedom starts. There are multiple scenarios in which absolute freedom of speech would hurt the freedom and rights of others.
    1. If you know a secret about another person's privat life and want to tell it to the whole world it hurts his right to privacy
    2. If you try to use insults to impose your view of the world on others. This would harm the freedom of others to believe whatever they want the same way physical attacks because of political or religious views would. The same obviously goes for hate speech in general.

• Hi baby dolls

I love you guys so much I really don't care about this whole amendment thing cause im alone on valentines day :( I need a guy to love me unconditionally because no one else love me not my family or anyone else :( please can I find someone to love me?