Does the media focus too much on negative stories?

• Crime destruction, death and murder

I avoid the news as much as possible except to check the weather & occasionally get traffic updates. Life is challenging enough. Crimes, deaths, terrorism, & destruction along with ill formed stereotypes of the world aren't truly what most people want to see waking up & going to bed. Seriously!

• Crime destruction, death and murder

• Crime destruction, death and murder

• Crime destruction, death and murder

• Rare media well done!

CNN host refers to terrorism and fear while reporting on airplane part found off of Reunion Island though the gist of the story was supposed to be whether it was a part from the plane. Did you ever notice that every story on CNN is introduced with the phrase "breaking news", and they're not even Fox News.

• Yes it does!

Every day, the NY Daily News is reporting something bad like a shooting or demonizing someone of their words. Yes, there is too much bad news and its making everyone sad and mad. I want news that reports on the good things in life and save the negativity for the inside.

• They definitely do.

News agencies focus only on the most spectacular news, and don't give equal measure to the proportion of good news to bad news. They play mostly bad news, which makes viewers think the world is a terrible place. The media just tries to make money with sensationalism. Good news doesn't sell.

• Yes, the media focuses too much on negative stories

I think that the media puts way too much emphasis on negative stories. Anytime that I turn on the news, I hear about the worse things that can happen in our society. I hear far more about negative stories then I do about positive stories. This makes me not want to watch the news.

• Yes media outlets do tend to put too much focus on negative events.

The problem is that tv and print media outlets are in competition for viewers and the rating they represent. This forces these outlets to focus on stories that drive viewer interest and these tend to be negative. The concept of journalism for the sake of informing the public is losing out to journalism at a form of entertainment.

• Yes, the media focuses on negative stories.

I think the media definitely focuses way too much on negative stories. But the reason for that is because most people would rather watch a negative story than a boring positive story. The ratings are all that counts for all types of mediums. And if negative stories bring the ratings then they will continue to report them.

• Not at all

No, they do not focus to much on negative stories, it is just that most of the stories that are out their are negative. I think that if people did a lot more good things, then the news would be full of good and happy stories, but the world is different.