Does the media promote an unrealistic standard of beauty for America's adolescence?

Asked by: annabellac
  • Yes, of course

There's a reason that eating disorders have been on the rise, due to the rise in the amount of media that adolescents are being exposed to. I remember as a child looking at a barbie doll and wanting blonde hair, because I thought that blonde hair would make me beautiful.

Teen girls see these models on television and compare themselves to the models. Every girl knows what I'm talking about; how girls compare themselves to other girls. They think, "Oh! If I had what she has, people will like me." And the unrealistic media standard only promotes this type of thinking.

• I, too agree.

Adolescents, especially in Western societies, are under a great deal of pressure as it is, on a regular ongoing basis, and the fact that the media presents such an unrealistic view of adolescents and how they should be, and how they should look is biased, because it presents an ideal that many, if not most adolescents are able to follow.

Posted by: mplo
  • Yes, I Agree.

I agree with this argument because more and more adolescents have begun to feel insecure about their weight/appearance due to the unrealistic standard of beauty on the media and have driven more and more teens to feel ugly and do drastic things to make themselves "Normal", *Cough Cough* DISNEY CHANNEL *Cough Cough*

• Nothing wrong with promoting a healthy body

As much as I want to agree that media does "objectify women" and establish a surreal standard of beauty, I think there is nothing wrongful about promoting body maintenance. Overweight people (I say people because the media does the same thing to guys, especially Calvin Klein underwear) are more prone to all sorts of fatal/damaging conditions. All the media is doing is structuring a motivational drive against over-eating (as well as under-eating since there really are no anorexic models, as some would say). They are showing the middle ground balance of not too skinny and not too fat. The mental disorders that arise from this are simply not the media's fault. If a girl/guy becomes bulimic for example that is because they are most likely afraid of exercise (lazy). By them not seeing what is predominantly considered attractive in society, they never get that push. You could argue that the push would set them off the cliff to a point of danger, but the fact that they can get these mental disorders is nothing new and does not derive from the media. It existed there already, the media just strengthened it in certain cases. People will always be exposed to others (even without the use of models), and self esteem issues have dated back to early evolution ages. The term monkey see, monkey do is quite literal in history as scientists have found that the mirror neuron system (MNS) is what allows the monkeys to develop a sense of awareness subjective to others in the same surrounding. Along with awareness came self-awareness. Which then leads into consciousness, similar to humans. In other words, we started to care what others think of us. To blame the media for inducing audiences to feel insecurities is arguably misleading and rather specious. Now that I've blown your mind, shut up and lose weight fatty.