Does the theory of evolution go against the teachings of Christianity?

Asked by: STMAknight92
  • Is that a bad thing?

Every major religion has risen and fallen. From Ancient Greece, to many pagan religions, to the ancient Egyptian religions. I think perhaps that proof against religion will cause the fall of the last major religions, and then we can finally become a reasonable race. I think that evolution is very much real, and is much more realistic than creationism.

• I had a Christian friend once

He would NOT stfu about how the theory of evolution goes against the the teachings of Christianity. He would follow me to biology class and scream into my ear, "THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION GOES AGAINST THE THE TEACHINGS OF CHRISTIANITY," which was super annoying to me. I could only reply, "Okay, I get it. The theory of evolution goes against the the teachings of Christianity. Now would you please shut up for a minute so I can take this test?" He would then come back with, "ONLY IF YOU ACCEPT THAT THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION GOES AGAINST THE THE TEACHINGS OF CHRISTIANITY!" And I would reply, "I JUST SAID that the theory of evolution goes against the the teachings of Christianity!!! Now would you PLEASE. LET ME TAKE THIS FRIGGIN' TEST?"

The point is that my Christian friend said so, so it's probably true: the theory of evolution does, in fact, go against the the teachings of Christianity. I rest my case.

• The evolution of mankind theory is not of God

Every word written in the Holy Bible is inspired and author by God. And it is written, God made man with dust from the earth and he blew the breath of life in him to live. The evolution theory is not inspired by God. And it completely contradicts how God describes how he created man. The evolution theory was clearly authored by the devil to cause people to disbelieve God's word and go to hell. That's where the devil is at and he would like you to join him.

• Yes of course.

Christianity may say that they believe in evolution, but that depends on who you talk to. The Catholics, at least the sane ones, believe in evolution. The big problem is the creationist sect of Christianity, who base all of their beliefs on a book that was written by people who were dumber than the average 16-year old.

• The Bible says so

The Bible says God created us in His image so why would we need to evolutionize The Bible says that we have been made out of dust. What else is there to it? Have we\me proved our\my point yet? BOOM! God made us so there is no need for evolution!

• If you take a literal interpretation of genesis. Then yes.

While there are many Christians who support evolution, the biblical genesis account directly contradicts humans coming out of nothing, and being fully formed in there current state. And it makes no mention of us coming from earlier primates, rather that we are unique from the rest of the animal kingdom. Which is absurd, but don't forget, the old testament was written by desert people thousands of years ago.

• Yes It Does

The theory of evolution says that humans evolved from mammals, but in the bible God placed Adam and Eve on earth and they are what started the human race. They clearly contradict one another, so there is not way of saying that they can co-exist in the eyes of a believer or a non-believer.

• Evolution requires death before man.

Evolution requires death to occur before man arose through a gradual process of natural selection. Christianity teaches that man brought death into the world through sin. That is the reason Jesus Christ died on the cross, to provide salvation from sin, and death. This is the fundamental core of Christianity.

• No, evolution does not go against Christianity

There is nothing in Christian teachings that says we should reject scientific theories. In fact, even the Bible points to evolution; while people seem to assume that God just put animals on the Earth, the Bible actually says, "Let the land produce living creatures," showing that animals were actually 'created' by the earth. Also, the Bible explains that marine life came before land animals, supporting the theory that life first began underwater!!

• Evolution does not dismantle Christianity

Now, I am a Christian. And I believe in Evolution, the Big Bang theory, Basic physics of the Universe, and the possibility of Extraterrestrials. Why? Because it doesn't really go against religion at all. The whole Adam and Eve thing could be an event that happened over the course of millions of years, we don't know. Besides, most Christians have accepted evolution theory anyway. Not all of us are heavy creationism fanatics, respect to those who do believe in it though, and many of us don't associate it with religion at all. It's just another fact to life, not a whole big religious science conflict thing. So...No, I don't think Darwin would think this ever to be associated with religion.

Posted by: O.Z
  • Not it doesn't.

Evolution as scientific theory has absolutely nothing to do with Christian teaching. People will twist anything to support their worldview. If evolution goes against Christianity, then Francis Collins and many other biologists who are theists (Ken Miller, Asa Gray etc) must be mad. Now you can call them mad if you want, but I don't think that'll get you very far.

• Christianity IS Evolution

Or perhaps I should say human spirituality is evolution, of which Christianity is an overwhelmingly significant component. Sure, human beings have mis-interpreted it and misused it in many ways over our history, but at its heart - in the message of Christ as delivered in the Gospels, free from the self serving interpretations and explanations of organized religion, is revolutionary in its impact on man's moral code, his spiritual nature and therefore, his evolution.

Consider that what differentiates man from lower animals is his ability to reason, an evolutionary development quite different than the more physical attributes of opposing thumbs or the lack of a tail in that it is not a physical feature or characteristic - reason does not look like anything specific, but we do observe its results in human behavior.

Well, does evolution stop now that we reason? Of course not, it continues - and what comes next? Every indication is that it will not be nearly as physical as it will be behavioral and centered on our intellect, which is our most unique and differentiating feature - we don't need to develop tougher skin to cope with climate change - our intellect and reason will solve that for us, so it is very likely that the next step in human evolution will look, physically at any rate, very much like us - the evolutionary step will be in whatever follows reason - and based upon human behavior over recorded history that step will be spiritual.

OK - so if our next evolutionary step moves from reason to spirit - what conflict is there with Christianity? Well really, none. I am sure Christ wouldn't have too many objections - he wants us to act as much like him as we can - and remember that his world (and point of reference) is elsewhere - beyond the material and incidentally, the empirical - (hence all of the rending of hair and the gnashing of teeth that we observe from our scientific friends).

Now I can already hear the Gospel thumpers rending their own hair and gnashing their teeth, but my position is that much of what they defend and protect is merely organized religion - a human construct and every bit as fallible as human beings. And what of the Buddhists and the Muslims and the Hindus, etc?...Have you ever noticed how many features of these faiths hold to common values and behavior? They do so to a truly remarkable extent - which indicates that perhaps there is a set of crucial behaviors tied to spiritual man that remain unaffected by the material trappings of human worship.

The commonalities of all these faiths are the true binding agents for the next step in human evolution, and the next step of man may be Homo Sapiens Spiritus, a creature that will be spiritually motivated and more civilized and more moral in its behavior than its predecessor - a step worthy of evolution, and therefore a manifestation of God's will.

• There are misunderstandings from both sides of the opinion.

In order to answer this question the individual needs to understand both creationism and evolutionism is and what they are not thoroughly. Creationism (theist or atheist point of view regardless) covers a lot more topics theology, science its based on experimentation, facts and is easier to understand. Evolution as a whole is a bit more difficult to understand (theist or atheist point of view regardless) based on ideas, convoluted facts, assumptions, it own experiments are contributions for creationism. Natural selection (the basis of the theory of evolution) does not contradict creationism (orthodox creationism, which is reading the bible literally). Every theologian, Creationist (orthodox), Creation Biologist know that sin (death) entered the world after the creation was made. Natural Selection (not abiogenesis) is only the explanation of what happened when death entered the world, animals eating each other, competition for resources, partial to complete elimination of variation fauna and flora. In fact Natural selection is the reason why God gave Moses the commandments to maintain order in an imperfect (disordered environment) .Remember: a pre-fall world (before there was sin or death) everything was made perfect, no death, no competition for resources, humans lived more extensively. "Perfect Environment" as technology advances this environment can be imitated which a very interesting topic.In general evolution (natural selection) does not contradict Christian teachings or any religion, it explains the reality of a sinful world. As for TIME evolution could have happened very fast as research points that out (human genome project, geno-graphic project, genomics etc. The geologic column is not time dependent.... Do your own research. Indoctrination is causing a lot damage, as for me my point is that the topic is subjective the individuals interpretation.

• There are almost as many teachings of Christianity as there are churches

The Headline says it for me.
    Since I need fifty words to have an opinion, I'll elaborate:

As someone else pointed out, even among Baptists there are literalists and those more open to interpreting the Bible as a living document.

While certainly evolution goes against a literal interpretation of 7 days, 5000 or so years ago, those are NOT the only teachings of Christianity. As someone raised in the Catholic tradition, I'd be quite shocked if I can't find an evolution believer for every evolution denouncer. [I tried to find a word stronger than critic or skeptic, which don't refute the whole theory, but without the baggage of "denier."]

Quan says2013-06-10T14:24:28.803
It goes against the literal interpretation of the Bible, not the morals behind the stories. It is those who cling to the literal interpretations who miss the point and tend to go against the true teachings of Christianity.