Does the US have a moral imperative to spread democracy throughout the world?

• The golden rule

If you are successful you have a moral obligation to give to and to think of others who are less fortunate than you. It is the same with countries. Staying focused on only ourselves is a very selfish thing to do, especially when you have dictatorships literally killing and oppressing their people. Now if America was really falling apart I would think we should focus on ourselves first, but we are still in great shape and have a lot of good ideas that we can spread to the world, why take that away?

Another reason to at least keep an eye on what is happening elsewhere is that if communism or a dictatorship starts spreading across the world and we do nothing because it is "not happening here," we will eventually come to regret it when it does get here.

I'm reminded of the old poem about the horrors of Nazi Germany and how people focused on themselves rather than stepping in to help others.

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me

• Yes, the US should spread democracy throughout the world.

I believe other countries would benefit from democracy like we use in the United States. Some countries have no government to allow people with equal rights to make decisions concerning the outcome of their lives and the loves of their children and loved ones. These countries need a government to help them with some of their debts and other struggles they have not over come yet as well.

• No, at this point we are failing at our own democracy

At this point our country is very strongly capitalist with democracy coming in second. What kind of democracy allows corporations and special interest groups to purchase candidates? Instead of working for the small people, our politicians work for those that give them the most in terms of money and gifts. We are not a proper democracy and we should not be spreading this type of government anywhere until it can be fixed.