• Hopefully some day the U.S. will not need Affirmative Action, but right now we do.

Study after study shows Latinos/Hispanics and especially African-Americans face discrimination when applying to most jobs. The majority of the sources I have provided observed situations where resumes and applications of people of color with "Black names" were either identical or in some cases better than the resumes of white people. The overwhelming consensus of these diverse and comprehensive studies is that Caucasian applicants are more than 40% more likely to get the job than Blacks even though the Blacks are equally or more qualified for the position. Another surprising and compelling pattern derived from the studies is that even White applicants that recently got out of prison were more likely to be accepted into particular occupation than people of color with no criminal records. Affirmative Action is intended to even the playing field. I am from Asia. I could argue than Affirmative Action acts most greatly against people from my background but the truth of the matter is that my people (Indians) were not enslaved for at least 300 years then subjected to blatant discrimination, segregation, and racism for another hundred years which set people back hundreds of years intellectually and academically.
    I encourage you to peruse these links before ignorantly asserting that Affrimative Action is "reverse racism" or "favoritism".
    If you are highly qualified for a high-ranking position and denied simply because your name is Jerome instead of John, how would that make you feel? Just try thinking about it from a different perspective.
    Http://www.Chicagobooth.Edu/capideas/spring03/racialbias.Html
    http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/pmc/articles/PMC2915472/
    http://www.Nber.Org/digest/sep03/w9873.Html
    http://www.Law.Virginia.Edu/pdf/workshops/0708/pager.Pdf
    http://www.Nytimes.Com/2009/12/06/weekinreview/06Luo.Html?_r=0
    http://ir.Lawnet.Fordham.Edu/cgi/viewcontent.Cgi?Article=1013&context=faculty_scholarship
    http://www.Asanet.Org/images/research/docs/pdf/RaceEthnicity_LaborMarket.Pdf

• The U.S. Does Need Affirmative Action

I believe that the United States does still need affirmative action. While I wish it didn't, in order for people to be treated fairly, I think it is imperative. Affirmative action helps stop inequality in employment situations and pay differences between men and women, makes access to education easier, helps make society a better place, and addresses inequalities caused by past wrongs committed by the U.S. toward certain groups of people.

• Affirmative action cripples minorities.

Affirmative action is CLEARLY not racist because it doesn't only pertain to blacks and Latinos. Maybe you're not racist but you sure are prejudiced if you believe that a law like this is racist. Maybe some people need to stop thinking everything is about race and calm your nerves. Affirmative action is for MINORITIES (the people not in power including Asian Americans, Native Americans, immigrants in general, and WOMEN). It's unbelievable how bias someone can be that they can only look at it as a race issue. And yes, I'm talking about whites AND blacks. The idea of affirmative action is a really nice gesture BUT it makes minorities out to be incapable of working hard. It insinuates that minorities (especially the stereotypes on blacks and Latinos) are lazy and/or unwilling to devote themselves to their work. People should be rewarded for their efforts and WHO they are, not their achievements and WHAT they are. Studies have even shown that people are more likely to challenge themselves if they are praised for their efforts rather than labeling them for their achievements

• Employers Hire Who Is Best

Regardless of race, sex or religion employers will hire who is the most skilled. Like a comment on my side of the debate, I also agree that I doubt an employer would hire a dumb Caucasian over an intelligent minority. And for colleges they need to give scholarships to talented, smart young men and women, minority or not.

• Affirmative Action is reverse discrimination

Affirmative Action was enacted to specifically make sure that minorities got into college. Now it only serves to pick out the minority regardless of whether or not the minority deserve to get in the college. There is no doubt that there is preferential treatment to specific races under Affirmative Action. Blacks used to be excluded under the previous system. The current system serves to apologetically favor them over all others. Affirmative Action isn't equality for minorities, it's favoritism.

• Affirmtive action is completely racist

It says you have to hire somebody of a specific race or sex.. What could be more racist than that? And it doesn't matter their skill set. Not sure of too many employers who would hire a dumb white guy over a smart black guy.. These situations don't exist as much as SOME people might like to think.

• The US does not need affirmative action

The US does not need affirmative action. There are non-caucasian people who do jobs just as well or better then caucasians do it and If people who are hiring don't want to even look at people for a job who could be better than their final choice then its their loss and they can hire a worse worker.