Does the word 'art' get thrown around too much?

Asked by: BeLogical
  • Art can be a mess

The definition of art shows that this is art. Now, some people make art terrible. For example, if you put loads of electronics in a pile it would be art; or you could stand up a chair by a tomato. This is art, this almost rubbish. What is appealing about this type of art? Nothing, some of these are not even attractive at all. That is my point, art is a mess.

• Anything can be art

And that's a strange thing. You can through a pile of macaroni noodles and Lego bricks together and call it art. You can call cursing an art of its own. You can call scandalous behavior an art. Heck, you could even call breathing an art. Art is just too vague a term to describe anything anymore, because most of it is now crap.

• If you use a dictionary...

Then it depends still. The actual definition is "The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination..." which is just about anything. If you use that definition.
    However, people say "art" as a synonym for "fine art" which is completely different.
    No, what most people MEAN when they say "art" is more or less "humanities."
    In short, it depends on what you mean. If you use the right word, there will be little argument.

• That black scribble scrabble on the wall is pure art! Love it! Those brown lines by that artist is the paragon of art! Masterpiece!

You may argue otherwise. You may say, "Seriously? Chicken srcatch is ART? Are you tasteless or what?" And I will reply, "Don't you see? Don't you see the perfection of those brown lines, and how neatly the scribble represents a person? How can you not see how beautiful this artwork is?!"

I partially agree that the word 'Art' is thrown around a lot, but I am making a case for why it is and how it is not just used mindlessly.

(According to Google)
    /ärt/
    Noun
    1.The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
    2.Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Your taste is a part of your individuality, which also means what you see as art and say is art may not be to others and vice versa. Therefore, concerning the question, people throw the word 'Art' around often because, as I believe, they see whatever it is as art in some way, shape, or form. The word 'Art' can never be overused because everyone's tastes can't be overated. If someone says that those box of gummy vitamins is art, then it's art according to them. I hope I made an adequate arguement.

Sources-
    http://www.Google.Com/search?Sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=art&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4LEND_en___US501&q=art+definition&gs_l=hp..1.41l24.0.0.0.1048...........0.