Does Twitter encourage self-absorption and rude behavior in business settings?

• Yes, Twitter does encourage self-absorption and rude behavior in business settings.

Personally, I do not care if you just left for the store or that you're taking your dog for a walk. I understand Facebook statuses as they're connected to a social network. However, all Twitter consists of is statuses. It's ridiculous and I have no idea how it got to be so popular. All it does is condone self-absorption.

Posted by: LorenaH
  • Yes it does

Blshfhsgdhgdshfshbcvsdgjvhjwgyjsvdhcsjfgsygdjsbjdvbsdhhsbvhsdh,hi,dsjgfjhdsjhdhbdshcbshdvhjsdvhjsdhvshdvfhjsvdhjfsvdjf.Dbhs hd h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h

• Yes it does

• Yes it does

• Yes it does

• Yes! Twitter is about self-expression and self-promotion.

You express what's on your mind. The problem is that Twitter, like most social media sites, does not censor posts, so anyone can post anything, including profanity. It's not actually just Twitter, but other social media sites as well, such as Facebook. Social media encourages people to become attention-seekers, narcissists, and egotists. I know a lot of nice people who show their ugly behavior online. These sites give a false impression that you're in a private place, maybe because even when you're just at home you can put out a post for your friends and followers to read. Social media also gives a sense of ownership, so people think they can post anything on their Twitter or Facebook accounts because it's their account. Also, these sites allow freedom of speech, which people frequently abuse.

• People Don't Know How To Behave

Some people don't understand that what you put on the internet is available for the whole world to see. People don't understand that not everything you say is going to be hilarious or intelligent sounding to the people you meet, like an employer. I think teens should be more educated in censoring themselves on the internet.

• I think Twitter does encourage self-absorption, because people that use Twitter think it is necessary to say anything that comes to their mind, and this is not always appropriate.

I think it is unnecessary to Twitter everything that comes to mind. I think this behavior makes those that are using Twitter believe that they are important enough and everything should be about them. Why does everything you do or think need to be known by everyone in America? To me, that is self-absorption, and those that do it have nothing else important to do.

Posted by: DraconianTroy80
  • I believe using Twitter in business settings encourages self-absorption and rude behavior; it feeds today's immediate gratification culture and makes people ignore their co-workers in favor of reading and responding to the tweets of those they follow.

People in today's world demand instant access to information, gossip and all the latest news or details on what friends and family are feeling, thinking or doing. Twitter provides a medium where up-to-the-minute information is available on anything from the unrest in the Middle East to the latest political scandal (like Weinergate), what their favorite NFL player thinks about the current lockout or how their boyfriends, husbands or friends are feeling at any given moment. This excessive or obsessive attention reduces the amount of interaction at the workplace because some people spend so much time checking their Twitter account that they neglect their work duties and ignore their co-workers. Many times, group lunches or talks that occurred on breaks in the past are abandoned in favor of using the medium Twitter provides to keep abreast of what's going on outside the workplace. There are fewer conversations as a result. Sometimes, even general questions and attempts at being social are ignored or rebuffed.

Posted by: PerpetualRonnie
  • Yes, I think Twitter encourages self-absorption and rude behavior in business settings, because it's very nature is one of self-absorption.

I personally feel that Twitter is very annoying, and I have only checked it out a few times. The short messages definitely make it look like whoever uses it is very self-absorbed. The whole concept seems to be that you are so important, and people will want to know everything you do. I don't think it fits in with a business environment.

Posted by: GaudyTory37
  • Twitter, Business Should Be Separate

Twitter and social media website should be no place for wars between businesses and their associates. Although Twitter is a valuable tool, animosity and rude behavior in a professional setting has no place. Twitter encourages the free exchange of ideas. Sometimes, a bad apple in the bunch goes too far. But in general, social media is a place for social change.

• I do not believe that Twitter encourages self-absorption and rude behavior in business settings, because people are responsible for their own actions, with or without the use of technology.

Twitter is a form of social networking. It can be distracting in the work place, as it is easily accessible to update. However, several business workers do use it as a source of communication for work-related things. Whether or not they are in a business setting, the amount of self-absorption or rude behavior a person is capable of most likely has nothing to do with this form or social networking.

Posted by: ChillyShelton83
  • I disagree that Twitter encourages self-absorption and rude behavior in business settings because we use it for our business and don't act that way.

Twitter is a very powerful tool for both personal and business use. We use it to market our car dealerships and give our promotional offers. I could not imagine how anyone would be able to use it for bad behavior or self-absorption. It should be used for quick updates and current news.

Posted by: BoundlessHomer49
  • I don't feel that Twitter encourages self-absorption and rude behavior in business settings, because it is up to each individual to monitor their own behavior.

Twitter gives a means for an individual to become self-absorbed and rude, whether in a business setting or not. It is up to each of us to choose how to spend our time when at work. Twitter only gives an outlet for rudeness and self absorption. Just because Twitter is available, it does not mean that it has to be used.

Posted by: C0rd3FIames
  • Twitter can let some people become self-absorbed, but in most cases, Twitter is just another social network, and if used correctly, can be a fun and interesting experience.

I have a Twitter account myself, and I would say that in the two years I have had it, nothing like this has ever happened to me. I don't think that in the work place, anyone is going to start boasting about Twitter, because it is an online world, not the real world. I think that people have more common sense than that.

Posted by: 4d0lpGlossy
  • Twitter does not encourage self-absorption and rude behavior in business settings. It creates an open forum for discussion.

Twitter is a place to have an open conversation and often very helpful to businesses. It provides a place for both sides to talk and either ask questions and get answers, or get important feedback about how the business is doing. Regardless of the channel, there is a chance for someone to be rude and self-absorbed. Twitter is more helpful than harmful in this case.

Posted by: EImerN4th