• It's suppose to be a short term program

I do believe welfare does make some people lazy. It is too easy to get and once you get it there are no stipulations to keep you off of it. Welfare has become a long term fix when it is only suppose to be a short fix. We need to begin also drug testing and have more to do while on welfare to make sure people who are lazy and not using it correctly are removed off of the tax payers dollars.

• Yes, hunger is a powerful motivator.

Yes, welfare makes people lazy, because they have no incentive to look for something better. People will do what is best for them. If they can do just as well or even as close to as well without working, they will. This is the same as a young person depending on living in their parent's basement. Welfare allows people to stay lazy.

• Welfare makes people lazy.

Welfare makes people lazy because it allows them to get something for nothing. If people can get paid without working, they have no incentive to work in the first place. Governments that offer too much in social services end up going bankrupt. It is necessary for people to be self suficient.

• Yes It Does!

I am a working man who has a dream of a military career, and quite frankly, I am pissed to no end that my tax money is going to people who are cheating the system and getting a free ride! Why should I work hard so other people don't have to?

• Using welfare does not mean one is lazy

It's somewhat disappointing that some people think using welfare makes people indolent or that's for torpid individuals. There are lots of people who need welfare. For instance, someone could be working hard to provide for themselves andor others but the compensation is not enough for a variety of circumstances. Eg minimum wage other expenses. It can be a struggle for one to afford both food and shelter among other things. Some may have or get a condition that prevents them working. Or perhaps someone has been laid off and it takes while to land another occupation and it may not be as paying as before. Some people work more than one job and could use compensation. Granted some abuse welfare and it's stupid when our money is misused but welfare is not one of them. Btw I'm a female feminist and equalitarian and maybe a humanist who wants equality and equity for people in general. I'm also christian and turnig 22. Proof many young pekoe care about others while still having fun

• People are lazy with or without welfare.

Welfare does not make people lazy. Those who are on it are a mixture of people. Some are lazy, while others are just in unfortunate circumstances. It does not matter if welfare exists or not. People will be lazy no matter what. If a person is predisposed to laziness, government programs will not affect it.

• No, I don't think so.

No, I do not believe welfare makes people lazy. I think people who are on welfare do not necessarily want to be on welfare. I think it's a great aid for people who have found themselves in an unfortunate situation and just need a hand to help get them up on their feet again. It encourages people and promotes upward movement, not laziness.

• No, laziness is unrelated to welfare.

I don't believe that welfare makes people "lazy", but I do believe that there is a slew of misconceptions over the type of individual who receives welfare, and how much they receive. Furthermore, a person's demeanor is unrelated to their economic/social standing. This negative stigma further discourages individuals who need help from seeking it.
    Welfare is not so easily received, individuals who receive government checks and food stamps need to provide proper documentation that they qualify for these benefits. The requirements vary from state to state, but generally, you have to rank fairly low on the economic ladder to even be considered a candidate. Many people receiving welfare are actually employed - sometimes in more than one job. The problem is that minimum wage, even with full or overtime hours, is not really enough to support the average person. If that individual also has children, costs mount higher.

• The people that it makes lazy were already useless blobs anyway.

The vast majority of people on welfare go on it because they have no other choice. Until you've actually lived in poverty and seen how hard it is to survive on that low of an income, you just have no idea how difficult it is. It's more work to be poor for most people than it is to have a decent job.

Most people on welfare are not living it up in any sense of the word. They're single parents that are working two jobs or are low wage workers that are getting crappy hours at a business that refused to raise prices by a dime or a quarter so that they can provide a living wage to their workers.

A lot of the people that we look down our noses at for being on welfare and taking handouts are the very people that we depend on to keep society running for the rest of us. If they need a little help having a roof over their head or a little money so that they can have a decent meal every once in a while, then I'm happy to provide it.

• People who rely on welfare and are receive benefits know that it will not last for eternity.

In other words, the government made this purposely to push the people on welfare to find a job. Welfare, lasts for an average 5 years. In other words, receiving not so much benefits(usually around $900 for a family of four) will leave no other option for them but to find work.

• An abuse of the system does not constitute that all who have welfare are lazy

There is a major abuse of the system today. I don't deny that. However, to say that's always the case is heartless. There are plenty of welfare who will leave as soon as they find a job. And they make sure it's only a temporary thing, not a permenant thing.

• Welfare does not make people lazy

Welfare is a safety net to help people who are struggling and need to feed their families. It is not a system that breeds laziness or a culture of relying on others. However, there are going to be people who abuse the system and do not take their lives seriously. You can't help that.

• Welfare motivates some to do better

No, I do not believe that welfare makes everyone lazy. It may make some people that receive the benefits lazy because they do not have to work for the money received, but for the most part I think that it motivates some to move forward. Some are even embarrassed by the need to receive assistance. I can not say that welfare makes people lazy because I do not know everyone on welfare, but I do know that the rules and regulations surround the program needs to be revamped.

Anonymous says2013-03-22T18:18:14.520
I don't believe that welfare makes people "lazy", but I believe that there are a slew of misconceptions over the type of individual who receives welfare, and how much they receive. Furthermore, a person's demeanor is unrelated to their economic/social standing. This negative stigma further discourages individuals who need help from seeking it.
Welfare is not so easily received - individuals who receive government checks and food stamps need to provide proper documentation that they qualify for these benefits. The requirements vary from state to state, but generally, you have to rank fairly low on the socio-economic ladder to even be considered a candidate. Many people receiving welfare are actually employed - sometimes in more than one job. The problem is that minimum wage, even with full or overtime hours, is not really enough to support the average person. If that individual also has children, costs mount higher.