• Yes it does

France has issued a formal warning to Microsoft stating that Windows 10 collects excessive personal data. No wonder Microsoft has been pushing it so heavily. Data collection and data mining are becoming an issue, and since W10 makes diagnostic data collection mandatory, there's no way around some of it. Especially since it can't be switched off as in earlier versions. So yes, it is "over" collecting personal data.

• Personal data is unfortunately fair game for computer manufacturers

When people buy new computers, they usually don't give much consideration for what kinds of data the computer manufacturers are collecting as a result. However, this is a serious issue that should get at least a second thought. For example, Windows 10 gathers your name, email address, and purchase info at the very least...which is still too much in my opinion.

• Yes, they do.

Most computer companies, including Windows 10 collect too much personal information. We could choose to not give it to them, but then we would be prevented from working and doing our schoolwork, keeping in touch with friends and family and everything else a person does to live and breathe on this planet.

• Windows 10 is fine.

I've been using Windows 10 for a few months, and I don't believe that it collects too much personal data. When you install it, you can select the options and features that you want. I appreciated the fact that Microsoft allowed users to upgrade at no charge, and I don't feel like my privacy is breached.