Dolphin Protectors: Are trained dolphins a good security measure to protect the world's largest stockpile of nuclear weapons?

• Yes, and no

On one hand, dolphins are very intelligent animals, and very trainable. So using them to patrol the ocean to protect arms makes sense. On the other hand, I don't know how well they are treated, and if we're capturing wild dolphins, I'm not so fond of that idea. If they're being raised and treated well, I'd feel a bit differently about that, but they don't have a way to choose whether they're putting their lives in danger.

• Another layer of security is good

Let's get this clear, the world's largest stockpile of nuclear weapons is not ONLY guarded by trained dolphins. Therefore, the dolphins are a good ADDITION to the other security, yes. They are intelligent animals that can 'guard' places that are vulnerable to human surveillance. We should keep the dolphins working, no matter how loudly the internet complains.

• Yes, they are.

Dolphins are a very intelligent species, and there is a great deal of evidence that suggest they can be great protectors. Trained well they will stay safe and they can help gaurd nuclear weapons in far off places that other animals or people can not normally get to. If they are trained well it can work.

• No, I don`t think so.

Bad enough that humans participate in this garbage, but to drag the animal world into it (specifically such an intelligent and social animal as a dolphin) is just kicking the bar that much lower."These animals are released almost daily untethered into the open ocean, and since the program began, only a few animals have not returned," according to the Navy. Those few were obviously conscientious objectors.