Donald Trump is a threat to the European Union, EU Parliament chief Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt says: Will President Trump maintain cordial relationships with European allies?

• He is doing his job.

Trump promised to put America first and that's what he's doing. The EU leaders have just jumped on the bandwagon of people who think they can shout down Trump. But ultimately, Trump wants to protect the West, so at the end of the day, the EU is going to get along with him.

• He'll be fine.

I think that Trump will have a fine relationship with the European Union. However, I think the relationship with Great Britain will be stronger. I don't think that the EU was or is a good idea, and many people feel the same way. It does not follow a lot of principles that the U.S. follows, but I don't think there will be relationship difficulties.

• Yes, Trump will maintain cordial relationships in Europe.

Yes, Trump will maintain the traditional relations Europeans have come to expect from American presidents. I expect Trump will be more demanding of European allies than his predecessors, which is where I believe this Verhofstadt opinion about a looming threat is coming from, but I don't expect it to materialize into actual danger for our cherished goodwill with Europe.

• No, President Trump will not maintain cordial relationships with European allies to anyone's satisfaction.

President Trump has not shown himself as someone that can maintain a cordial relationship unless he is the benefactor. He is a great business leader and a smart person with a lot of intelligence. However, it appears that he is out of his league when it comes to knowing what is expected to maintain the type of relationships we need with European allies. It requires someone to be flexible, and to be able to set aside their ego, and President Trump does not seem to think he has to play that role. If he is unable to rethink how he should handle European allies, and many others, then it is very clear how the relationships will unfold. As hopeful as we all want to be, it is clear that we must prepare for the possibility of President Trump negatively affecting relationships with European allies and others.