During WW2 the British maintained an entirely fictional arm that they successfully used to draw German forces away from invasion targets. Do you think something similar can happen in this day of technological sophistication?

• Yes, especially with Internet technology.

How does the Internet change the way I think? It puts me in the present tense. It's as if my cognitive resources are shifted from my hard drive to my RAM. That which is happening right now is valued, and everything in the past or future becomes less relevant.
    The Internet pushes us all toward the immediate. The now. Every inquiry is to be answered right away, and every fact or idea is only as fresh as the time it takes to refresh a page.
    And as a result, speaking for myself, the Internet makes me mean. Resentful. Short-fused. Reactionary.

• I do not agree that similar maneuvers would be successful in this day and age.

I do not believe that a "fictional arm" maneuver would be plausible in our current time. The advances of military technology today have made it possible to spy on the other side, if you will, without being detected. If an enemy were to pretend to have a flank of soldiers, the opposing side would find out.

• No, I think it would be more difficult today.

While it is easier to spread misinformation, in this technological age, it is also easier to check facts. Maintaining such a large fictional army would be much more difficult, if not impossible than it was during WW2, when a fictional army could be created using a few false reports and some extra supplies.

• Wartime technology continues to advance, to the detriment of sophisticated operations

The second World War saw many advancements in deception and espionage. Perhaps the greatest example of this was the fictional army that the British created to deceive German forces. Today's military technology is so sophisticated that it can easily pick up on when an army is fake: spying has gotten that good.