Dylann Roof, the man who shot up a church in Charleston, SC, declared competent to stand trial: Should he face the death penalty?

• Yes, he needs to be held accountable for his actions.

For a crime as terrible as he committed, I do believe that Dylann Roof should face the death penalty. I believe that a sentence such as life imprisonment would lack to adequate amount of justice deserved for the lives he took in such a horrible manner. Simply sending him to prison with a life sentence would be hugely unjust not only to the families of those murdered, but to citizens paying taxes that go toward the prison system.

• Dylan Roof should face the death penalty.

Roof is one of the worst mass-murderers in the history of America. He killed several good people who were simply at church studying God's word, and has showed no remorse. Now that he has been found competent to face trial he should be eligible for the death penalty, and if it is imposed his death should be speedy and not subject to long drawn-out appeals.

• He did a senseless thing.

Dylann Roof set out to murder innocent people. What's worse, he targeted people based on the color of their skin. There is no justification for what he did. Society doesn't need to have his contribution any more. Other people should know that if they do the same thing they will meet the same fate.

• Yes, I think so.

I am not entirely sure why the competency hearing for this murderer is breaking news, but I'll bite. Good lawyering demanded this savage killer's lawyers ask for a competency hearing to decide whether or not the guy was crazy when he murdered people meeting at a church prayer circle. Now that a judge ruled on his competency, the only job the defense has now is to save the guy's life (sad as it may be). The only way to do that is to have him plead guilty (because he is) and for the guy to spend the rest of his life behind bars. One thing that I find a bit confusing, though, is the reason this is in federal court? This was not a crime against the United States - it was a crime against the people of Charleston and ought to be in state court - where murder cases are tried. The federalizing of heinous crimes is something I find slippery since it is up to states on what to do with the most savage (or most simple) criminals.

• Makes Others Killers

Why? You're still killing people. Just lock him away for life. This is the equivalent of not solving a math problem and just destroying the whole book. You say every life has a meaning, yet you still want to kill this man. I don't care what he did, no one deserves to die under any circumstances.