East Harlem Explosion: Do you think more could have been done to prevent it?

• Accidents Will Happen

The East Harlem explosion was a regretable tragedy. It is always sad when lives and homes are lost. However this does not mean that it was an easily preventable event. I do not think the authorities were aware of the problem beforehand. And while preventative maintenance is desirable, crews can't be everywhere at once.

• No, I believe things like that just happen.

No, I believe that tragic events like that just happen and there's nothing we can do to prevent them. It's not anyone's fault in particular. It's not our fault. It's not God's fault. It's simply the fault of random chance and we certainly can't control that. There's no blame to be placed.

• No Warning Signs

Other than one phone call prior to the explosion there were no warning signs that there was even a problem. I don't know how we can sit back and ask if more should have been done to prevent it, given the circumstances. Things happen and this explosion just happened. There's nothing that could have been done differently.

• It was a gas leak.

No, I do not think that the East Harlem Explosion could have been prevented with more precaution, because there was not anything to prevent. A gas leak is something that just happens. They did not have time to respond before it exploded. It was a tragic accident and extremely unfortunate.