Eric of Pomerania turned pirate after he was a king: is it better to be a pirate than the ruler of Sweden?

• Pirates have a lot more fun

Being president of Sweden is great and all, but think of all the paperwork and the meetings you have to have with people you don't even like. A pirate gets to sail the seas and go on great adventures. Technically pirates are criminals but I guess it depends on who you steal from if you can live with yourself.

• The freedom of the seas would be a welcome break from the rigidity ot royalty.

Yo ho, yo hoy, a pirate's life for me! Despite the many perks and privileges associated with being a member of royalty, it must become exhausting to have the eyes of the country on you constantly and be expected to consistently conduct yourself in a particular manner. After a life of so much pressure and rigidity, the care-free, ungoverned life of a pirate would be a welcome change.

• He wasn't a good ruler.

I think that Eric of Pomerania was just not a good king, so being a pirate was definitely a good choice for him. I think he would have just caused more problems as a king than he had as a pirate. Besides, Sweden was due for a new ruler for sure.

• Eric of Pomerania turned pirate after he was a king: is it better to be a pirate than the ruler of Sweden

Eric of Pomerania turned pirate after he was a king: is it better to be a pirate than the ruler of Sweden. The statement is difficult to agree or disagree with because it is tied to a historical past when trade and trade routes were controlled by kings helping them earn revenues for themselves and their kingdoms.