Fake news: Does social media really call the shots in voter persuasion?

• Social media is persuasive

A significant portion of the United States is heavily immersed in social media. Many Americans feel it is an integral part of their lives; it influences many of their decisions and beliefs, as well as allows them to voice their opinions on virtually any topic. Another contributing factor is the connection between politicians and voters due to social media. Politicians are free to use it in their campaigns and to portray themselves as they see fit.

• Yes, I think so.

Many social media users have difficulty distinguishing between fake and real news because social media literacy is still building. But fake news is not restricted just on to Facebook — it was all over the internet. "Essentially, be critical when you read online content. There were several ways people can tell the difference between fake and real news, obvious sensational titles are one giveaway.

• More people are getting news from social media

According to John Oliver, about half of the United States is getting its news from social media. Most people on social media also surround themselves with like-minded people. It is easier to sway people with fake news, if it about something that they want to believe at and something thats is supported by their own personal bubble.

• Social Media not enough to change minds

I do not think social media plays a part in voter persuasion. Instead I think it only works in creating greater divides and smearing hate towards those with opposing views. There are going to be view people who will change their minds, because of someone else's personal rant or opinion. Instead, it shows those differing views in harsh light and heightens already intense emotions. Social media has its perks, but I think politics needs to stay out of it!