Finnish baby boxes: Should Americans have their babies sleep in cardboard boxes?

• It really isn't a problem with Americans using baby boxes as long as they're sturdy and safe.

Infants don't necessarily require a full size crib to sleep in. Back in the old days people used boxes or dresser drawers as sleepers for babies. Realistically, there are many people in this country who don't have the financial means to purchase expensive cribs that will only be used for a short period of time. As long as it is positioned in a safe location and sturdy enough to support the baby, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

• Yes, I think so.

Finnish experts say the boxes could help save lives. In Finland, many babies sleep in cardboard boxes. And they enjoy it — at least that is what their parents say. The tradition might seem strange to most American parents. But Finnish experts say it could help save lives. They also say it could help the United States lower its infant mortality rate in the same way that it helped Finland. The District, for example, has the highest infant mortality risk among all of the world's high-income capitals.

• No, that's not practical.

Finland gives new parents these boxes as a way to ensure all babies have their basic needs met. While that is a noble goal, I think it would be very difficult to implement here. Our country is much larger, and some parents do not need this type of help, which would lead to waste.

• There are worse things.

I don't think that people should have their babies sleep in cardboard boxes if there are alternatives, but it's also certainly not the worse thing. In fact, I believe a baby would be safer in a safely-placed cardboard box than careless co-sleeping like many parents do. Sleeping in a cardboard box can't cause death.