• It is more than just burning paper we are burning our identity

I will make this quick. If you are a citizen of a country then you should not offend others unless you seek to start a war. The flag is a huge part of our nation and its image is the intellectual property of the people, not a individual who seeks to disturb it. So we should defend it just like we defend our rights, morals and freedoms. For a flag is not just a sheet of thread it is us.

• FLaG iS FR3EDOM

I am pround america and flag means a lot to me and religion of me. I love flag and flag fly every day in house and out where wind pick flag and shake like clothesline. Its' beautiful. If i observe heathen burn flag i take gun and murder because they disrespect country of my domain

• It is an infringement on free speech.

Flag burning is a reinforcement of the fundamental right to criticize the state. Any action to make this illegal is an infringement and suppression of free speech. It's unconstitutional as well. There is also no harm in flag burning, considering no harm comes to any person, direct or indirect, so there really is no reason to make it illegal.

• No it should not be illegal.

It should not be illegal because burning the flag is under that persons opinion, maybe they don't like what the government is doing and they are angry at the U.S. so they burn the flag. The first amendment says that to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech. So the constetutions says it so burning the flag is okay to do even if someone doesn't like it well to bad.

• Infringing the Constitutional Right of Expression

The American flag stands for freedom, liberty, and justice for all. America abides by the U.S. Constitution which clearly states that Americans have the right to free expression and speech and the government has no power to make a law against that. Burning the flag is a way for Americans to express their opinions of America. This is protected by the 2nd Amendment. America in truth does not offer freedom, liberty, and justice for all. Minorities are minorities for a reason, they are not treated fairly under the laws of America and do not have the same freedoms as those who fall in the majority. This is a reason why someone would burn or deface the flag. If flag burning became illegal, it would not follow the Constitution.

• It shouldn't be illegal

Like the majority of people have said, I do not condone burning of the flag in general because of the utter disrespect for all that the flag represents that comes from burning the flag, but there shouldn't be a law that explicitly condemns burning flags because that is a bit Bill O'Reilly-ish (need I explain more...)

• There shouldn't need to be a law.

Okay, this is one of those cases that I am against the statement, but take a different stance. I mean, that I think that we shouldn't need to debate this because Americans should respect the flag. And also, why would someone burn the flag? Is it not a more open message that they want war.

Posted by: Rami
  • No it shouldn't be illegal

Although burning the American Flag as a sign of disrespect is wrong, it shouldn't be illegal. But, when a flag is deemed too tattered or worn to fly a burning ceremony is taken place out of respect. Flag burning takes place when an American flag is deemed too marred and tattered to continue to fly. Never is it acceptable for an American flag to be thrown away, as this would be a sign of defeat for the message that it stands for. Instead, flag burning is deemed a more honorable option. The United States Military does everything that it can to take care of its flags, out of a deep seated respect for “the republic for which it stands.” Sometimes however, especially if it has been torn apart in a battle, it is simply unavoidable. When this happens, a flag burning service is held, giving the flag its last honor.

• No it shouldn't be illegal

• No it shouldn't be illegal

First of all, if the american flag is burnt for no particular reason out of harmful or disrespectful reasons, the it is very wrong (I think so as an American) but not illegal. If the flag is deemed too tattered or torn to fly a flag burning ceremony takes place out of pure respect. Flag burning takes place when an American flag is deemed too marred and tattered to continue to fly. Never is it acceptable for an American flag to be thrown away, as this would be a sign of defeat for the message that it stands for. Instead, flag burning is deemed a more honorable option. The United States Military does everything that it can to take care of its flags, out of a deep seated respect for “the republic for which it stands.” Sometimes however, especially if it has been torn apart in a battle, it is simply unavoidable. When this happens, a flag burning service is held, giving the flag its last honor.

• No Legal Prohibition

Burning or generally disrespecting the American flag is protected by freedom of expression, and doesn't do any direct or indirect harm, but it is quite possibly the most pointless, ironic thing you can do as a protest. You are literally benefiting from American values at the exact same time that you are complaining about American values.

Burning the flag shouldn't be illegal, but your freedom of expression does not mean freedom from consequences, and your expression does not overrule my expression. If you exercise your right to burn the flag, I will exercise my right to protect that flag.

Midnight1131 says2015-05-13T03:52:55.100
Wow, a spelling error, this is embarrassing...