For someone to say Atheism is True is a Contradiction?

Asked by: JMan1424
  • Yes strangely enough, it actually is a contradiction. Let me explain my whacky theory.

First off, to say that Atheism is true is to commit a logical fallacy. If Atheism were true then it wouldn't be because if it was, which it couldn't be, then there would be no such thing as truth. If I say that there is no such thing as Truth, which a smart Atheist would claim, then I also couldn't say that Atheism is true. It would be a double standard and would oppose the Law of Noncontradiction.
    In conclusion, Atheism can't be true because it says so itself. Thanks for hearing me out and God bless!

• "Atheism is true" is a nonsensical statement, so it can't be a contradiction.

"Atheism" is not a statement, or a proposed fact. It can't be true or false, and it can't be a contradiction. Atheism is a stance on whether gods exist or not, specifically, an atheist doesn't believe that god(s) exist.

The claim, "I am an atheist" could be reworded to say, "I am lacking a belief in the existence of a god". In this way, I guess you could say "atheism is true" with out contradiction, if you mean to say, "atheism exists".

• Atheism is an opinion, it cannot be true or false.

Atheism is not a general fact to which we can say true or false like we can say to : the earth has the shape of a sphere. This fact is true.
    On the contrary, Atheism is is an opinion and opinions like let's say : The apple i was given did not taste good. To this one cannot say true or false, but one can say i agree or i disagree.
    So to God Does Not Exist (Atheism's definition) one can only say i agree or i disagree and not it is true or false.

• Atheism is not a general fact, it is a way of thinking.

It cannot be true or false, it is not like other general facts that accept a true or false answer like : The Earth has the shape of a sphere. This fact is true.
    On the contrary, to opinions like : the apple i was given does not taste good, one cannot say true or false. One can only say i agree or i don't.
    So to God doesn't exist (the definition of atheism) one cannot say it is true or false, but i agree or o disagree.

• Atheism "is true"?

It is certainly true that some people are atheists - that's about all you can say, there.

The real truth is that we don't know whether there are gods or not, and to say anything else is to accept things without proof, to operate "on faith" alone, and both atheists and theists do that.