Free marijuana will be handed out in Washington on Inauguration Day: Should pot be legal?

• Why Not Marijuana

I guess I'm going to Washington state on Inauguration Day. Marijuana is not a lethal drug, it is also known for medicating people for various illness/symptoms like depression, anxiety, anorexia, etc. Since cigarettes and alcohol are legal, why not marijuana? Cigarettes and alcohol are far more intoxicating, resulting in lung cancer and liver problems. Marijuana is a natural plant from Mother Earth, and to date there have been no deaths cause by marijuana. Now I have to plan my travel schedule.

• Yes, of course.

Cannabis has been used for over 10,000 years and not one single death has EVER been recorded. It is not addictive and is actually far less addictive than caffeine.If legalized, far less more minors would be using Cannabis. Why you ask? I believe if weed would be sold in stores, valid ID must be given and the user must be at least 21 years of age. After customers start buying from these weed dispensaries, drug dealers would vanish and the ones that stick around would be most likely dealing hard drugs (Meth,Cocaine,Heroine). Marijuana is not a gateway drug, it's just the dealers persistently persuading their customers to try harder drugs because they know marijuana is not addictive. If they were to get them to at least try the harder drugs, they would get addicted and come back for more, giving the dealer never ending business. Marijuana cures and prevents Alzheimer and Glaucoma, helps relieve stress, anxiety, depression, slows down tumor growth, and helps relieve pain for chemo/radiation therapy patients as well.

• So should most drugs

Let me preface this by saying that I hate pot. I hate the pot lobby. I hate the frequent implications that there is no downside to using pot. I do see, however, that most of the harm from substance abuse comes from the use of legalized alcohol or from addictions which stem from prescribed painkillers. I think it's also time to review policy on things like LSD, cocaine and ecstasy.

• Yes it should

It should be legal and then quite regulated. Without a prescription for medical use, it shouldn't be available to anyone under a certain age. If it's legal, it can create legal industry which can generate revenue, and hopefully ensure a better product while ensuring that it's not getting into the hands of children (unless it's medically needed).

• Yes, legalizing marijuana will serve justice.

Yes, pot should be legal in the United States. The motives for originally criminalizing marijuana are questionable. Many believe that it was a ploy to put undesirables and poor people in prison, therefore removing them from the neighborhoods in which they were unwanted. Aside from the origins of the laws that make marijuana an illegal substance, it is suspected that Big Pharma has lobbied to keep marijuana illegal, as it could take the place of the pharmaceutical industry's expensive pain medications. It is my belief that marijuana should have never been illegal. Moreover, the United States should legalize the use of marijuana as soon as possible.

• No, pot should not be legal

No, pot should not be legal. It is a mind-altering substance that can have significant long-term and short-term effects. It does seem to have some medical benefits and as such should be legal in a very regulated manner, as with other prescription drugs. However, legalizing marijuana for recreational purposes is unnecessary and dangerous.