Free refills banned in France: Should people be able to choose how much soda they drink?

• Anyone who says no to this question doesn't believe in freedom.

I'm not saying that it is good to drink soda, but any time the government starts to dictate what is best for you, there's a problem. All this will do is make things more expensive. A free refill won't kill the average healthy person, and if you're not the average person than you'll just go somewhere else to get soda or junk food.

Soda is not the worst thing in the world, so where does it end? Will sports be banned next because of all the injuries? Cars lead to thousands of deaths. I think that people need to take responsibility for their own actions. You don't need the government to tell you when you've had too much junk food. If you don't have the self control or sense to keep yourself healthy then maybe you should have your Mom hide the candy like she used to when you were a baby.

• People should be able to make their own dietary choices, but free encyclopedia refill should be determined by the business.

I don't believe the government should be able to dictate how much someone should be able to eat or drink and regulating it is pushing that boundary. It may start with banning drink refills but where does it stop? Will the government evwntually determine what drinks and how mixh of those drinks people are allowed to buy? It should be up to the individual businesses whether or not they offer free refills on drinks, how large the portions of food they serve.

• Yes, people can choose what they do regardless of this ban.

This ban does would not prevent people from drinking as much soda as they would like. It would likely make it more expensive to drink large quantities of soda though. I don't think individuals are guaranteed an inalienable right to drink any quantity of "free" soda, but I am not very knowledgeable about French law. Another way to view the question is, "Should companies be required to provide limitless soda to their patrons?" I think the answer is more obvious then- no.

• People should be free to choose how much soda they drink

These silly bands, Like France has implemented, relative to limiting refills, soda size, sugar, etc. Are completely worthless and have no practical effect except to hurt manufacturers, consumers, and worst of all, the retailer cells. Government is filled with good intentions. But we all know what the road to hell is paved with. Time for government to get out of our business.

• Freedom and Soda

When I first read this question, my initial response was obviously yes. The government shouldn't take away freedom, and it is their choice. However, as someone who has had family members and friends lose their life or control of their life due to drugs, I can understand why this is a thing. Soda is extremely bad for you and for those who REALLY want more, they can buy another, but for those who only drink soda rarely like when they go to a fast food joint, then they may consume less soda then they normally would because they would realize they don't really need it. This change will boosts the economy of France and lower obesity rates.
    Obviously soda and hard drugs are very different things, but I also think that the legalization of drugs would allow a bigger percent of the population feel less guilty about doing drugs and would open up a new market of people who stay away from drugs only because they don't want to risk being in trouble with the law. I know and understand people who support the legalization of all drugs, and I'm sure those people will also protest against this soda refill law in France.

• We have socialized mediine.

People fought long and hard for socialized medicine. That means we all share in everyone else's medical expenses. The insurance and the hospitals can't hold it against you if you make bad life choices. For these reasons, we have a right to tell other people what they do with their lives. We gave up freedom.