Free tuition for college or university promised to students from low-income families: Should the US follow Canada's footsteps and give free tuition to low-income families?

• US should give free tuition to low-income families

Low income families are already struggling to make their ends meet. Rising educational costs should dissuade them from pursuing quality education and in turn they will end up in low profile jobs and this in turn will refrain them from rising above their lower income. It is a vicious circle which can be broken down only by providing them with free tuitions.

• We should help people when we can

I tend to agree more than disagree. I am not sure that college should be 100% free for every low-income college student, but it should be 100% accessible. Of course, many institutions already provide loans and a great deal of assistance. We still need to do more than that. We can't saddle students with debt they can't pay back. Since that's a serious issue, free may be the answer but it's going to take a huge overhaul of how we address wages, cost of living and other factors that get in the way of paying for college.

• U.S. should provide free tuition to low-income families

The U.S. government should provide free tuition to low-income families. College has become a necessary to getting a decent job as the labor force increasingly becomes more white collar and the economy is driven by information. Access to a college education is a way to end the cycle of poverty.

• It's called higher education for a reason

While it would be nice for everyone to get a free college education you have to look at the big picture. If everyone has a fancy degree then the value of the degree goes down. For example if I have a rare car then the value of the car is high, but if everyone got the car for free then the value of that car is next to nothing. While it sucks given that I won't be able to afford college I look at the fact of the value will go down, as well as it's not the governments job to constantly give out freebies to the poor at the expensive of the more fortune.

• Education not a right

I do not believe that low cost or free higher education should be subsidised for lower income families. The larger issue is that every child now seems to have an expectation of attending college or University, it should be widely held that there is just as much value, if not more, in apprenticeships and trades.