Fusing your brain and conscience with a robot to achieve immortality is a reasonable decision.

Asked by: Midnight1131
  • A great way for humanity to move forward

Not only in this way immortality will be achieved, but actually it will give us limitless opportunities. We will get bodies which don't age, that are much more durable and can easily be replaced. We will be able to go into space, land and explore planets, which would have been impossible to explore in our natural body, our robotic bodies can be adjusted for current needs. Or just as a virtual conscience, like in Transcendence, is just amazing

• Immortality is everything

By being immortal, you could do so much more. Experience so much more with your immortal girlfriends, friends and family. One can go to space, go to alien planets. Immortality will give you unlimited time to do everything that you want in life, you would never need to rush yourself again. Eventually the robots would get upgrades that can allow you to do everything that you do now and much more in the future. Even if they cant, robots will extend your lifespan so much that in the far future you can eventually transfer your conscience to a clone of yourself or just about anything you want.

• He** yes !

This IS how we make it to the stars. Our consciousness is only going to be a seed in a near immortal device. That is nearly "forgets" us is immaterial. It is almost godlike. As the device progresses, changes, mutates to its environment, mimicking evolution.

Yes, yes I want to implant my "self" into a device.

Posted by: TBR
  • Yes, it is.

As long as your brain was unharmed or altered, there would be no change to you personally. The only change would be to your physical body. This would increase your years of living by an enormous amount.
    It would be very humane. Of course if you had this procedure, you would be banned from having kids to prevent over population. That is if you could even have kids at that point, so its a trade-off.

• The driving force of all living things, is survival.

The driving force of all living things, is survival. The #1 priority of all life is to survive. People will say that it would be too hard to live and watch your friends die. But, if this option became available to the general public, everyone could take it, and no one would die. Also, if you choose to leave this option, so you won't have to watch your friends die, in the end, only 2 things will happen. You watch or friends die, or they watch you die.

• I believe this is perfectly reasonable.

As we are interliigent, we all fear death, thus we leave something behind for people who will come after us, ultiamtely trying to make the world better place. As for a scientist, or a technology geek like I am, I think it is perfectly reasonable. Imagine if we can see what humans can achieve as our technology progresses. Because we will never long enough to meet aliens.

Some people are misinterpretating the word robot. Yes Robot is a machine. However, machine is not a robot. Technology will progress, and more human like advanced robots are being created. Also, some sensory functions, such as texture and tempature, taste, they already exists. So, by merging one's brain to robot's body, assuming that the technology exists and assuming that robot's power is omnipotent, then it seems to me that it is much better then simply having a agumented body.

• Glory unto the Machine Spirit.

Praise to the Omnissiah! I'm kidding. I'm kidding. I'll see about filling this word quota. Fusing a brain is very hard work, but should the means be available, and few risks to be had (we're dealing with a life so there'll always be some risk, but few considering the magnitude of the situation), then certainly. It's your body to do as you will with it. So long as it's safe and consensual all is good.

• Immortality is everything

• DNAs thought the same

If we are to fuse your brain and conscience with a robot to achieve immortality, certain mechanisms are required to protect the robot itself from damage and repair itself in the cases of damage. But in the light of that, aren't we the perfect 'robot' to serve DNAs' purpose of achieving immortality?

• The implications on interplanetary and intergalactic travel are huge!

By uploading our consciences into machines we could become immortal, never age and go into a sort of standby mode for years at a time. This would solve the problem of space missions outliving their crew and limiting our range to our own solar system (We have only even been as far as the moon!) To do this would not affect our ability to think freely as it our mind doing the thinking, not the robot's.

• The Earth won't be able to sustain the population

It really is impossible, if everybody became immortal, then the human population would greatly increase. Which would mean we use up the earth's resources. The only way this would be possible is if we colonize some other planet in the universe. But as of now, it is impossible. There is also a chance that the robot could become corrupted, and takes advantage of you. This would cause chaos. Then again, you might argue this is how we are going to control the population...

• I would vote yes but...

I would still want the "freedom" to be stupid and have error. While it is reasonable, this is just my opinion if I were given the choice to do so. To answer the question if it is reasonable, it definitely is, I just personally wouldn't want it for myself. I would consider myself neutral on this I guess.

• There are two problems with that.

First, assuming it would ever be possible to download a copy of your consciousness to a flash drive, then upload it to a robot, it wouldn't really be you who was living forever. It would just be a duplicate of you. You yourself would still die. Second, you'd be stuck in a robot indefinitely with no physical sensations. There might be a way to see and hear, but you couldn't feel anything because Robots don't have skin or nerve endings. You'd never experience the sensation of touching, hugging, having sex, or tasting food again. That would be hell.

• How could you trust them.

I admire the truth that are technology is advance. But we should consider the fact that these robots have diffrent instincts than a normal human. Besides that they give order in soceity sice they are robot who has no sensitive feelings, they are a threat to our freedom. Then talking about virus and malfunction, these things are more vulnerable than us. They may be used or hacked by terrorist Which kaybe a threat to our security.

• That's not the point of living

I think the whole point of living is dying. Yep paradox at first sight, but nobody and I mean really nobody is designed to live forever. I don't mean this in a religious way I'm just convinced that everybody should have a full life time to be in this world do things they wanna do and than die in order to make space for new people who should have the same opportunity to life like we have. It's unfair that we would allow ourselves to occupy this world and therefore prohibit others to experience life, because there wouldn't be enough resources for that many people.