• The word sport has more than one meaning.

To those who are arguing against me let me first bring up a few sports you would not consider sports by your definitions (Chess, etc...).Secondly let me add this definition in an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. You see here the word "or" yes that word is what allows gaming and all the other non-physical sports to be considered sports as it says skill "or" physical prowess. Next let me say that sports do not have to be physical by the technical definition of the term the main point is that they are a competitive activity normally involving a prize of some kind. Lastly some may argue that they are but are not recognized well let me tell you that ESPN played the Dota 2 World championships on their channels for various sports fans to see.

P.S if anyone wants to debate me on this issue please feel free to challenge me at your leisure.

• Gaming saves lives

Gaming is such an important aspect. How can groups liek faze and optic gaming be so big without so many supporters? Gaming is so important and they make like so much more uber money than athletes in football and soccer. FaZe Rain is so much more cooler than Peyton Manning. If anyone differs u can 1v1 me on black ops 2

• Its a mental sport...

When you game like call of duty, destiny, etc... You use your brain to try and flank the enemy... Mind, strats. Etc... . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . .. . . .

• Of course.Why wouldn't it be?

Sports don't have to be a physical activity. What about chess? You don't have to work very hard but it is still somewhat of a sport?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billyt?
    Billy

• Gaming should be a sport.

Gaming should be a sport because when you play your fingers are getting a workout and people are really good at playing video games. The first supporting detail is that people have fun playing and it makes them happy. 2nd reason is that people say no because they don't play those kind of games.

• Since Chess is recognized as a sport, competitive gaming should be too

While a sport is defined by an activity involving physical exertion and skill according to oxford dictionaries, it is never defined how much physical activity is necessary to be considered a sport. I understand people may not feel that chess is a sport either due to it's lack of physical challenge, but the international olympic committee sees chess as an official sport. Simply the physical nature of moving a chess piece or moving thumbsticks still requires a minimal amount of physical activity.

• Yes it is a sport

I think its a sport because you have to use your thinking knowledge (i go to baker middle school) swerdtfyguihji gytfrdeswdrftgyhujhygfrd tgyhuh gtfdrf tgyh gfdr ftgyh gfdr ftgyhu gf tgyhuj hgfghhghh hgf gh g hh g h ghjhgtfgyujihgfgtyhuj hgfghjhgfghjhgfg hgfgvbhnjhgthjuuhg tfgyhujhghyuj hghjjhg hjhgf tgyhjuhyg yhujhg hjhgh jhghjhgfhjnhgh jhgftghjnhghgtf hbgbhnbgbhnbvbnbnbnvbnvnbnbnbnbnnbnnnbnbnbnbnnnnn b

• Sport is entertainment, so gaming should be, too.

Sport and gaming are very similar. They both are a competition on who can control their self, be it real or virtual, with the most efficiency. There are also many different disciplines, such as speedrunning, the art of rushing through a game faster then it was meant to be played, or platformers, which are just like parkour or freerunning. They both involve skill, and not everyone has that. I could go on for hours, but I have games to play.

• Yes it is.

In Nowadays, Gaming simply become an international sport all over the world. Gaming isn't just playing games, they have to do many prepare such as the other sports, like practicing, planning tactics, and teamwork...Etc. Maybe some people think that being a gaming contestant is not hard, but the fact is that the contestant have to bear a lot of pressure, just like the other sport contestant do.
    Gaming is not also a sport, but a era fashion too. Just like the other sports, a good player could have receive a endorsement opportunity or something like that. Many players have a big fan club behind them , and their salary can be at least one million NT dollars per year! (Although it hasn't happened yet in Taiwan). All in all, gaming includes all of the elements that a sport do, so in my opinion, gaming is a sport.

• Those who vote against this just don't learn to look around YouTube.

Gaming is by far the most famous and most viewed topic on YouTube. Gamers like Pewdiepie and Markiplier play these games in battles with and/or against each other. The Good Game hosts used do this for entertainment for the viewers, I don't know if they still do or what as I haven't watched it in a while. A YouTuber named Peanut Butter Gamer Did and still does a hardcore mode with other gamers for Minecraft, Terraria and Day Z. All these fun and interesting battles around TV and YouTube can be just as entertaining to watch as real sports.

• This is a joke

Gaming isn't a sport.. People who play video games are stupid, retarded individuals who waste their time. Just because you don't play any sports and you want to feel a little bit better of yourself, you think gaming is a sport to make you think that you have wasted your entire life gaining trans-fat and staring at a computer screen hoping to get more kills than the next guy. Anyone who plays video games should heavily reconsider living, and should move to africa where there are no video games.

• What a joke.

Could you imagine? A 400+lb bed ridden obese child who eats three buckets of KFC fried chicken every day and gets winded from simply rolling over onto his side... That lazy tub of lard gets to call himself an "athlete"? What a joke. If you can "compete" while pooping in a bedpan, the activity which you are doing is not a sport.

Posted by: U.n
  • Avid gamer speaking up

I've played games all of my life...Im 42 now and still play games. Gaming doesn't make you as loser...WTF?!?! I'm an IT security analyst at a water company, and my job is to keep hackers from Asia from penetrating the networks and hacking into the water treatment plants chemical release systems so that they cant alter the chemical levels to a poisonous range. Yeah, I protect hundreds of millions of American and I'm a gamer. Had I not gotten into gaming at a young age, I would probably not have gotten into computers very much, nor pursued an IT degree. Gaming taught me how to focus and concentrate better. Gaming helped me make quicker decisions while still weighing the potential good and bad of each decision--all in the blink of an eye. While most people overreact in crisis situations, gaming taught me to be calm and rational. My hand- eye coordination improved, and react times became quicker and more precise. But gaming also let me let go of tension and stress. So gaming doesn't make you a loser...If anything, it heightens some very important traits and characteristics when not abused.

With that being said, an athlete has to train their body and mind. Many gamers can't walk up a flight of stairs without having to catch their breath, but they excel at gaming. Many gamers are extremely overweight and out of shape, but they still excel at gaming. Gaming doesn't require you to be in shape physically the way basketball, hockey, football or American Football does. Gaming is competitive, but not a sport.

• Sports have competitive physical activity

Chess is not a sport. Checkers is not a sport. Gaming is not a sport. Scrabble is not a sport. I draw the line at Ping-Pong. Anything greater than ping pong is a sport. Anything less, then the only way you can wind yourself is trying to persuade me that you're playing a sport.

• Sports are Physical.

Sport- " an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. "
    You can game competitively, but some organized, virtual competition hardly requires the players to move.
    If finger - movements seem to physically exert your person, then you may need to participate in an actual sport...

• Sport NO Esport( electronic sport ) YES

As much as you think gaming is a sport just because its competitive does not mean it is a sport it is an Esport, Esport is for the gaming industry they is a fine line to a sport and Esport The E standing for electronic this does not mean it's an actual sport just because the word sport is in it does not identify it as a sport its like transgender because the word gender is in the word does not make it a gender. The word E sport having the word sport does not make it a sport.

• Gaming is not a sport.

A sport requires physical exertion. What about moving your fingers is physical exertion? Gaming is a lousy excuse for children who are too lazy to actually get up off their couch to claim that they play a sport. I find this insulting to all those athletes around the world who get up in the early morning to train their butts off. For all those athletes who took thousands of hours to be as good as they are now. Gaming is the lazy version of real sports.
    If you really think that moving your fingers is a physical exertion why isn't piano considered a sport? A pianist moves their fingers a lot more faster than a gamer ever could. A pianist has a whole lot more skill than a gamer. (if you could even count gaming as a skill) Piano is entertaining. (who doesn't like watching a two year old play piano better than Mozart?) And pianists who are competitive go to piano competitions. So how come piano isn't a sport? Because (like gaming) it doesn't have physical exertion in it.
    This is speaking from an athlete who is also a gamer and in grade 9 piano. I do not count gaming and piano as a sport because they do not qualify to be a sport.