Genetic screening: Will "genetic screening" lead to people creating "designer babies"?

• Yes, I do think genetic screening will lead to designer babies.

I think genetic screening will lead to designer babies, as some parents will want specific features for their children and would want to decide the certain aspects of their children like their intelligence, how "attractive" they are, etc. It is comparable to Hitler wanting a super race of tall, blonde and blue-eyed people.

• No no no

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

• No, not really.

I do not think genetic screening will lead people to create designer babies. I believe the biggest thing with the screening is to assure your baby will come out happy and healthy. We want what is best for our kids, but that does not mean we are trying to create a perfect baby.

• Genetic screening will not necessarily lead to 'designer babies'.

Genetic screening as it is performed today is mostly done on developed fetuses or newborn babies in order to assess vulnerabilities to certain genetic disorders. While theoretically some day this technology could be expanded and combined with IVF to create 'designer babies', it does not necessarily mean genetic screening will lead to this development.