Google Io: Is it more important for a cell phone to reduce its battery power usage (yes) or to continually update programs that are running in the background (no)?

• A cell phone is a mobile device. As such it needs longer lasting batteries.

A cell phone, by design, is a portable and mobile device. The cell phone marches on the strength of its battery. Because of this, it is much more important for a maker of the devices to equip them with stronger and better lasting batteries so the phone can perform while on the road.

• Updated programs are a luxury, a working cell phone with ample battery power is a necessity.

Updating can wait until the phone is plugged in and charging as updating is not as important has having a phone that can make/receive an important call or SMS, or make an emergency 911 call. It is logical to conclude that apps should always be secondary to the primary "lifeline" function of a cell phone.

• A small boost for the environment

The reduction of battery power usage should bring about a parallel reduction in the amount of charging for phones. When one considers the vast numbers of mobile phones in the world, this must represent a good thing in terms of the amount of electricity used in the world. It may be a small step, but it is, at least, a step in the right direction.

• It is more important for a cell phone to reduce it's battery usage.

I have no qualms with manually updating the applications on my cell phone, but the most irritating thing about my iPhone is how often the battery dies. I have to keep a phone charger with me in order to maintain battery life. I think it's far more important for cell phone manufacturers to focus on battery life than continually updating programs.