Granny Smith apples are grafted from another tree. Does this bring a new perspective to GMO's?

• Yes, I think so.

The real potential problem here is you are removing a freshness indicator. Having a cut fruit of any type that does not visually degrade has got to greatly increase the food safety risk. I really doubt if it will be harmful to consume these Biotech apples if they were consumed in the same manner as usual apples but I'm afraid this technology is going to allow a greater risk for contamination at the food processing end.

The bottom line is I would not buy these things if I knew it, the risk benefit analysis is greatly skewed towards risk.

• Yes, i agree.

This is very true. Granny Smith's apples that are grafted from another tree brings a new perspective to GMO's. He has developed genetically engineered Granny Smith and Golden Delicious apples that won’t turn brown when the flesh is exposed to air. This is the best result so far that is different from the rest.

• Grafting - Ancient Genetic Modification?

Our ancestors learned grafting through trial and error, with some accident thrown in. An ancient medicine man, at some time in a distant past, decided to try grafting a limb off one fruit tree onto another. Eventually, if it was the same kind of fruit, they got it to work. As the ancients worked with this method of breeding different kinds of fruit, they became masters at ancient genetic manipulation.

• No, Granny Smith apples being grafted from another tree does not bring a new perspective to GMOs.

No, Granny Smith apples being grafted from another tree does not bring a new perspective to genetically modified organisms. The grafting of branches of one tree onto the trunk of another has been done for much longer than genetically modified organisms have been around. Grafting, unlike GMOs, does not involve the modification of genes.