Guards have never left the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier: Should guards be able to leave during hurricanes?

• Yes, that is ridiculous.

The fact that people are forced to risk their lives over a silly tradition makes me very angry. Traditions are nice. I understand their value, but this is taking it way too far. No one should risk their life to defend "the unknown soldier." I do not want my tax dollars to go to something so useless.

• Yes, guards safety should come first.

I believe that guards should be able to leave the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during a hurricane. The safety of the guards has to come before a tradition, surely the lives of people are more precious than upholding a tradition? If soldiers are in danger then they should be able to leave their guard at the tomb until the hurricane is over.

• Yes, guards should be allowed to leave during hurricanes

Safety of the guards should be the first priority at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It is symbolically important to have guards there at all times, but that is not a good enough reason to risk the lives of guards by requiring them to stay during a deadly storm like a hurricane.

• No, the soldiers shouldn't be able to leave.

I believe that the soldiers should not be allowed to leave the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. As mentioned by others, there are soldiers over seas who have experienced some scary things and have had to endured harsh and life threatening situations that they have had to face. To me it is not fair that the soldiers would be allowed to leave when things get tough, like a hurricane, when soldiers over seas are not allowed to leave.

• This isn't Some Silly Tradition

Do you want our soliders over in Iraq to stop fighting because they are risking their lives? These sentinels are volunteers. They are not picked out of a company of soldiers of anything like that. Only 20% of the people are actually passed into training, and only a fraction of that actually pass and are considered full-fledged sentinels. They were prepared for the worst. Don't think that these are random people who are thrown into this position. It is a very high honor to be able to guard the tomb.

• No, the policy of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier being guarded at all times should not be altered for weather conditions.

No, the policy of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier being guarded at all times should not be altered for weather conditions. It is a really great policy and tradition to guard the Tomb. It is a great symbol of what our country and our military stands for and provides the country with a sense of pride and security. Those who guard the Tomb likely find it a great honor and have committed themselves to the task--even at their own risk, much as other soldiers do on the front lines.