• Music vs Nostalgia

I think people confuse good music with nostalgic music. Themes such as Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Jurassic Park will last an eternity, but that is because they are catchy (which undeniably takes lots of talent to compose.) However, John Williams's music does not move me. You know that epic feeling that you get when you hear an incredible part in the music, where you're on the edge of your seat and get goosebumps? I have never gotten that feeling while listening to any of his soundtracks. I HAVE gotten that feeling while listening to Hans Zimmer. I don't care if John Williams has more intricate melodies or denser harmonies, because ultimately, music is meant to inspire and move us.

• Hans Zimmer, in my opinion.

I love both composers and their music. But, I find Hans Zimmer to be a better composer due to the drama in his music. John Williams is the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Superman composer while Hans Zimmer is the The Dark Knight Trilogy, Inception, and Man of Steel composer. I truly love both of their music though.

• Technically speaking more talented

Zimmer's work is a lot more technical and impressive from a technique/music theory standpoint. Williams' has an incredible list of iconic music from lots of different movie eras. The dude is prolific and incredible. I love his music.

That said, what is catchy isn't always the best music. Zimmer's music is sooooo much more dynamic and living. Peaks and valleys, you live and die in his songs. You could study music theory for a lifetime and still be blown away by Hans. His music would have worked without movies, he would have rivaled Beethoven if he had lived back then. Comparing the two Williams has more catchy hooks in little snippits that are great but not a lot of depth, but Hans are pure masterpieces that take the full score to truly appreciate.
    Both are incredible in different ways but I'd take Hans by a bit, his music is truly timeless.

• I love them both, but Hans Zimmer blew my mind on Interstellar.

I got no real technical critic on any of them, i just know that Zimmer sometimes uses some of the material of his old compositions one the new ones with some tweaks (gladiator and PoTC for example are very similar, just a different rythme and some other teaks) , but as far as i know, John Williams has people to Compose for him and then decides which compositions he signs in his name. Any ways, I find Zimmer´s movies in general more enjoyable. The docking scene in interstellar, time (origin) along with PoTC and Lion King really earns hima spot in my nº1 score composer.

• Class over sentiment

I love Williams. Used to watch the Star Wars Death Star scene on VHS every morning before going to school. I didn't know then how much of an influence Williams had on bringing that scene to life. With this and the other classics the warm feeling will last forever I'm sure.
    But - having been a massive fan of Zimmer for years now I think he's set the bench with Interstellar. So original and rich, a less is more approach and study in subtlety. It has it's booming moments but the timing is perfect. I can't criticise Williams but with Interstellar Zimmer has shown incredible originality and gets my vote

• Subtle, Original, Immense

Interstellar - never heard anything like it. The Zimmer - Nolan partnership keeps delivering the most immersive cinema around. Both Zimmer and Williams are a class apart but Interstellar sets the bench. Great timing and simplicity, a totally unique approach to scoring a film of this genre. Confirms his superiority

• Zimmer is best

Hans Zimmer has so much more sensitive and emotional scores, Williams has done great job at movies he has done. But if Williams made score for let's say Inception or Dark Knight it would sound horrible - He's good at composing bombastic, loud soundtracks, but Zimmer is so much better in composing by my opinion

• John Williams too brassy

Hans' style tends to use more strings than williams' music does, so it creates more of a feel to it and can express wider emotions. But Williams uses brass more Ryan strings and is okay in some situations, but watching the early Star Wars prequels, I felt that it needed zimmer' music and gas too brassy

• Hans is the best

He has got more variation in his music than Williams and that is the point where he is unique. But i like both they both have same level of qualities. I have seen almost all movies of both and have found that Hans can give score for more type of movies than Williams.

• Hans is the best

• Loud noises or depth?

Obviously Zimmer and Williams are great composers, but we have themes such as inception that are really only notable because of the dynamics, but with Williams, we have pieces that are considered to be the best scores of all time, such as Duel of the Fates or the Imperial March

• Handcraft vs industry

Zimmer himself said that Williams is better than him (interview for Superman).
    Zimmer did a great job in the 90's (the Red Line for instance), but today it's not very interesting, doing soudntrack - very well done - to closed each another.
    I like how John Williams works, in a former way, creating univers and unforgotten themes.

• Handcraft vs industry

• Handcraft vs industry

• Handcraft vs industry

• Hm, Which one

More enjoyable and bright, with the good movies, done get me wrong i love the batman theme and all but i just personally like John Williams better, I dont know if they already have or not but they should collab and make a good song. SO overall- John Williams :)

• La La La La LAAAA

Coming from a tuba player, Close Encounters of the Third Kind has to push John Williams above Zimmer. Zimmer is fantastic; he is my second favourite movie composer, but the mothership in close encounters of the third kind (A TUBA :) ) just completely and utterly does it for me :)

• John Williams the best composer ever

Hans Zimmer is a great composer but lacks any kind of depth. John Williams music on the other hand has 10000 times more depth. Every kid you ask to hum a melody, they will hum jaws theme, Star Wars theme, The Imperial March, Schindler`s List main theme and so on, so on.

• Star Wars OP

Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars

• THE BEST movie score maker ever!

He has created classic scores such as Jurassic Park, Superman, Batman, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and many more. Hans Zimmer is a great musical score writer, with Inception and all, but no where near as great as John Williams. As I said before John Williams is THE BEST musical score writer of all time